How does Evangelism work?

Rekk

Deity
Evangelism said:
Missionary conversion strength +25%. Holy city gains Science when owned Missionaries spread Religion to Cities of other Religions based on the population of target City.

When is Science gained? I originally thought that a city only needed to have a majority religion other than my own in order for science to be gained after the spread action, but there seems to be some other requirement.

For example, in these screenshots, I am using my missionary's last charge on Nippur, whose majority religion is Tengriism (Babylon did not found; Tengriism is from Persia). I was expecting to gain Science, but did not.
20171217172402_1.jpg
20171217172425_1.jpg

So, what other requirements are there?
Does the city need to be of a civ that's founded a religion?
Does the city need to stay the original religion after the spread action?
Something else?

Is the science gained based on the total population, or just the number of followers of the Majority Religion?

In this case, I am the Mayans trying to spread my religion to pagan Babylonians.

It looks like the requirement is that the city needs to stay its original religion after the spread action, and you gain science equal to the population of the city. That means the second benefit is incredibly minor unless you have a late Enhance into religious heavy neighbours.

You can clearly see from the screenshots that my missionary is at a foreign city with a religion (not a pantheon) different than my own.

Are you trying to help me figure out what's going on in the screenshots, or are you adding additional requirements that Evangelism must fulfil?

You can clearly see from the screenshots that my missionary is at a foreign city with a religion (not a pantheon) different than my own.

Are you trying to help me figure out what's going on in the screenshots, or are you adding additional requirements that Evangelism must fulfil?
Oh, sorry, I didn't see the images very carefully and was just answering to your text.

I see you have Apostolic Tradition working properly. I see that your missionary is 25% stronger.

I remember there was some discussion about Evangelism being too strong with churches, I don't know if it was changed and there's a typo on the description, or if it is actually a bug, caused by Apostolic Tradition.

Top Bottom