How does tourism from wonders work, exactly?

iammaxhailme

Emperor
In civ 5, I belive you only got tourism from wonders if you made a hotel and the wonder gave culture.

In a recent civ 6 game I was playing a war-heavy game. I never made any great works. The only wonders I made were military and economic ones. None of them gave culture per turn. But eventually I had some tourism. I assume it was from the wonders... do all wonders now just give some tourism eventually?

In civ 5, I belive you only got tourism from wonders if you made a hotel and the wonder gave culture.

In a recent civ 6 game I was playing a war-heavy game. I never made any great works. The only wonders I made were military and economic ones. None of them gave culture per turn. But eventually I had some tourism. I assume it was from the wonders... do all wonders now just give some tourism eventually?
Yes. As far as what the actual values are though I can't answer.

Ah yes, I miss the days when this kind of information would be conveyed clearly and obviously to the player...

Anyways, it seems to work as follows: a wonder generates a small amount of tourism by default, but it generates more tourism for every age "past" the wonder's age you've reached. So an ancient wonder in the renaissance era is generating a lot more tourism than a renaissance wonder in the same era. The numbers... I'll try to deduce them real quick. You'd think this would be the kind of information the game would give you somewhere obvious, like the Wonder tooltip or in the Civilopedia as well, but alas.

Edit: My best guess is that each wonder starts with 2 Tourism to start, and gets +1 Tourism for every age past it. In my example, the Pyramids are generating 6 Tourism per turn, the Colosseum is generating 5, and the Venetian Arsenal is generating 3 per turn, my civ is currently in the Industrial Era.

@Magil
FYI: Your theory holds true in my game as well. (In my game below, I just hit Industrial Age)
Chichen Itza & Haigia Sophia (Medieval)
2 + Industrial (5) - Medieval (3) = 4 tourism per turn

Great Light House & Coliseum (Classical) {Not shown in pic}
2 + Industrial (5) - Classical (2) = 5 tourism per turn

@iammaxhailme
You might also get culture for founding a religion. To find where your tourism is coming from use the Tourism Lens.

Tourism.jpg

I'm pretty sure it's 'since built'. Similar to the way Taj Mahal or Dar-e Mehr work, which both gain +1 of their respective bonuses per era since construction. It seems to be a running theme. For wonders it makes sense, since people flock from around the world to see the Colosseum, but are not as enthusiastic of say.. the Sjanghai Tower.

Top Bottom