How I got the demo to work (Umlauts, accents etc in Win username, workaround).

Beachen09

Chieftain
After 500 driver update downloads and 60000 "civilization V demo has stopped working" I've found a way to make it work.

First of all, problem in short:

When starting the civilization demo on steam I would usually see the first part of the introvideo (The rating of the game on a black background) and then I would get the error message "civilization V demo has stopped working".

Fix:

My game was located in /C:/Username/Documents/Mygames (something like that), what I did is that I used the option "cut out" to cut out the documents folder and then I pasted the documents folder at /C: so the path would just be /c:/documents/mygames/civ V demo etc and VOILA, just played through the 150 turns as Persia, oh Persia.

Dont know how many times this have been posted but I couldnt actually find this fix in the civfanatics forums, only in the 2k forums, so I decided I might aswell give you my 2 cents of how I got the Demo to work.

I do not know if this will make any change for an American with the full game.
As some might already have guessed I am myself an European still 2 days away from the full game!

TL : DR = The main thing seems to be to move the documentsfolder (which your civilization V demo should be located in somewhere) to an easier-to-reach folder. Example: Moved from /C:/users/username >>> /C:/.

Anyways, I hope this can be helpfull!

Yes, it seems to be related to localization. The demo (I assume this will be fixed in the upcoming release) has trouble if your username contains non-standard characters like 'æøå' or an apostrophe. Move the civ 5 files to a path that does not contain such characters, say c:\civ5 should do the trick.

I can confirm that this workaround works! :)

First I tried about everything to get the demo working, but to no avail. My username was André. Then I made a new user CIV5Player and gave him the proper rights. I logged in as CIV5Player and now I can play the demo!!! :)

Before that the game would simply crash at the moment the intro started. I think some people at firaxis or steam will have a red face when they read this...

When I do that, my game just creates a new folder in the original place, and then crashes again:(

How do you make the game realize that there's a new path for the ini files etc?

-Björn (Names with åäö etc are a curse:( )

Do not just move the folder elsewhere in the explorer.
On the desktop, make a right click on your "My Documents" folder, click on properties...settings...er...the option at the bottom, then in the menu there should be an option to move your folder.

Or just make a new username without any special characters like I did in Windows XP. This way you don't have to move anything. Just logon with the new user account. Don't forget to grant him sufficient rights, however!

Yeah I did end up doing a new user. Easier but an ugly solution. Time to change name to Bjorn :)

Great idea guys. Now steam demo is turned off and if you already have it installed it gets deleted on launch... I have just bought a new graffic card for it since my old sucked when i tried the demo this morning. I wanted to try it out with the new card. :(

My time's worth more than doing firaxis/2k/steam's jobs for them. Game doesn't work first try, screw it.

Hey, you can be angry that it didn't work right from the start. Or you can be happy that now you are able to play civ (or the demo) like me! :)

Probably this bug is one of the first things they are going to fix. Untill then you can use the workaround.

First of all, I´d like to tks again The J to bring me to this page...
Yeah....the accent is my curse too..
I´m from Brazil and my name is Alexandre, but my short name is Alex or Alê...
So, this f*** accent "^" made all this mess....

But I tried a different way to change it...
I went to google and found a forum explaining how to change the register....

It is not so complicated but not so easy too...

I went to regedit.exe...

Then I went to this location:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE
-Microsoft
- Windows NT
- CurrentVersion
- ProfileList

There I found my name and rename it just to Ale...

But this was located only in the Windows NT...

So, went to:

- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARE
-Microsoft
-Windows
- CurrentVersion
- HomeGroup
- HME
- Members

There I changed what I need....

Hope that it is enough....otherwise I´m in a big trouble here....lol....
I´ll let you know after I restart my PC....

Ok...don´t do that.... It is a big mistake....hahahaha
I recovered my PC to yesterday...and it fixed my mess....

a question....

Just creating a new profile in the windows and not moving the game from the original folder will work without problem ??
I´m revovering yet my computer....hehehe

Why did you not just try what has been suggested in the opening post :confused:?

Oh, and there's a patch out for Civ5, try installing it.
No idea if anything is fixed, we don't have a patch log yet.

Ok, I did that just because I tried do more that I could....lol...:D
But anyway....don´t do that if you are not expertise....:eek:
Now I fixed everything, but steam was not working....
So, I´ve deleted it and logged with my new account in the Windows and started again to download the complete Civ V game....
I think now it will work....

But, tks again for your support !! :goodjob:

Tks The_J !!

As soon as I back to my house from my job I´ll find the patch via steam....
But if I can´t find there will I be able to download directly from Civ V site and install it manually ?

Top Bottom