How is modding going to work with Steam?

nokmirt

Emperor
I have looked for info about the modding potential of Civilization 5, and I find very little about it. Can someone give me a heads up about modding, and what mods will come with both versions? And can you still somehow get the Babylonian Civ, even if you just buy the standard version of the game?

Steam doesn't really have anything to do with mods, so that question doesn't make much sense to me. I don't think any mods or scenarios are shipping with the game, pretty sure I read that somewhere. The Babylonians may be a future DLC, but no one really knows.

1) Don't know about modding much.
2) Not even sure if any mods will come with it. I hope some will.
3) Babylon will probably be offered as DLC. I can't see 2K Games ignoring the potential profit from it.

Steam doesn't really have anything to do with mods, so that question doesn't make much sense to me. I don't think any mods or scenarios are shipping with the game, pretty sure I read that somewhere. The Babylonians may be a future DLC, but no one really knows.

I had not heard, people were skeptical about steam, though. I can tell you this, I have had no issue with steam whatsoever. Thanks for all the info.

1) Don't know about modding much.
2) Not even sure if any mods will come with it. I hope some will.
3) Babylon will probably be offered as DLC. I can't see 2K Games ignoring the potential profit from it.

Thanks Saint, I am sure they will try to get their money's worth on Babylon, I would, lol!

Steam doesn't really have a lot to do with mods, they've clarified that the mod browser doesn't work through Steam, and it's a separate beast. Given that the game has been shipped with Steamworks, there shouldn't be a lot of trouble with the mods and Steam (don't know if there are any problems with CIV for example), the only thing I can think of right now would be that if you install mods manually you're probably going to have to go to the Steamapps directory and find the game there, which can be a bit confusing, but that's not a big deal. I'm not terribly familiar with modding on Civ, but as long as the mods don't touch any executables (in Oblivion for example, I think there were some problems with some mods that required a separate executable), I don't think there should be any incovenience.

If the OP is asking "how will mods work given that Steam enables a continuous stream of small updates rather than a small amount of specific patches?" I too am interested in the answer! :)

That is, won't mods risk being broken over and over again?

On the other hand, it seems Steam ensures that everyone will play the latest version of the game, so no longer do modders need to support multiple versions, 'ight?

But if you can't stop updates, you can't guarantee you will be able to complete games you start that uses mods, it seems...

Top Bottom