how many workers do you normally employ?

Gorey

Prince
lately i've been examining every aspect of my game to see where i could improve (i play at prince level). and one thing that sticks out is i dont think i create enough workers. sure i have enough to do everything i want.. but i keep feeling that if i had more i could do it quicker and reap the benefits earlier.

so im just curious what ratio of workers to cities most people create early/mid game.. and then later on how many they keep around for the late game.

for me i usually create somewhere between 1:1 and 2:1 workers to cities. and keep them around the entire game.

so if i had 10 cities i'd have around 15 workers. 6 cities i'd have about 9.

i guess my reasoning for not creating more than that is the temporary halt on the cities' growth & production it imposes and allows me more military unit support costs. also i find that i typically dont want to create more than would be needed during late game as for some reason i feel that if i have excess workers and retire them.. then it was a waste creating them in the first place.

so again.. whats the typical ratio you create for early/mid game, and how many do you keep around (after you finish building railroads).

Only really matters in the very beginning... You are very soon at a point, where a worker takes maybe 3 turns to build... So... "on demand".

Looking back, i usually end up with 8 or 9 workers for the first ~5-7 cities (after the first expansion push), then make or capture about 10 more around medieval ages (if/when conquering more land). Rarely feel the need for more (won't say "no", if i capture them however), even if the empire grows good over 20 cities - old cities are done by that time, and new (conquered) ones come with improvements included as well.
Sometimes build some more, when it comes to railroading... But only if i really need it fast - late game worker management bores me.
Of course some maps end up needing more... Floodplains are slow to improve, choping a lot and clearing Jungle takes time...

I only build 5, then later on I might catch a few more.

I don't know why everyone else seems to build so many, I've never had trouble keeping up with my small amount:3

I have no set number or ratio. It varies, expecially if jungle is involved. Just make sure you can all your cities can always work improved tiles without slowing down their growth. (forests count as unimproved) If they are growing too fast, you need more workers.

Generally 1 worker per city. A city with a lot of jungle may require 2.

As with most games it depends. Plus, if you wage war (and win), you're bound to get additional workers as well. Generally, I go for between 1 and 2 workers per city. But, I also think that it's just as important being able to prioritize where first to improve and what to improve. Having lots of jungle does complicate things.

Early on, about 1.5 per city, later one it goes down to about 1 per city. Though this isn't a fixed rule by any means - if there's a lot of work to be done (eg jungle clearing) I'll build more.

For the first 5 cities I like to have 2 workers each (I chop them to get them into play quickly); and then I don't build anymore for the rest of the game.

I do accept any that I capture though.

Early game, I tend to have 1 per city, with maybe 1 or 2 extras. As I grow, I won't tend to build too many more unless if I start noticing that my new cities don't have the 2-3 workers needed.

Although when in vast stretches of jungle, I'll often have tons of workers. Some games, I'll plant a new city in the jungle, and have so many workers swarm it that the 20 squares of jungle will all be chopped down within about 10 turns.

Top Bottom