How often do you move sea based cities and why?

I usually find it more efficient to just buy the tiles and don't move the water cities

I usually go for the trait that gives you the insane station gold bonus, so I usually have the cash to just buy the tiles. Three tiles is usually less than 500 gold. The production lost to the move could produce buildings or units that would cost much more than that to rush buy.

I find myself moving them about 3-4 times. I plant them adjacent to 2+ useful resources on one side of the territory I intend on working, then move across towards the other areas I intend on working.

Once the target tiles are adjacent to the city, I might buy them if moving closer would pull me away from the starting resources.

As per normal in Civ games, balancing out the two options available is typically the optimal route, rather than thinking "I'm going to grab all my tiles by moving" or "Moving is a waste of time, I'm buying those tools to save hammers."

I'm looking forward to using floating cities to carve out ocean territories and deny enemy AI's movement across the map. I'll probably start a NSA game to test it :)

Can you move puppeted ocean cities?
Can't manage how :(
And that is REALLY annoying

About 3 or 4 times. Seems to be a the good spot. Enough to grab some terrain and doesn't feel like you're sacrificing too much production.

Sent from my phone, please excuse terseness and typos.

Not at all. Energy is so easy to make that it's just better to buy tiles unless you're playing NSA.

Really wish they would just let sea cities expand culturally with the option to move still being there if you really want it.

Or otherwise make it so moving never costs more than 3 turns.

It depends...

If there is a titanium, I will build the water city beside that to get it going.

If there are multiple resources I can reach after this, it is usually better to move (buy a recycler, and put the best prod trade route on the water city, it can usually move very fast in this situation [2-3 turns])

If there is a lone resource, just buy the tiles.

Once I have my internal trade routes up and movement costs between 3-4 turns, I move them frequently. Primarily to take advantage of the exploit where if you found an outpost on territory that is completely claimed it becomes an insta-city the next turn. Insta-cities with pre-improved territory are definitely worth moving at least 1 or 2 of my cities 4 tiles or more.

I'd also generally like to be using my energy to rush-buy colonists, recyclers and water refineries, so buying tiles seems inefficient, especially when they get up to like 250 energy per plot.

One change I'd like to see is the Thermohaline Rudder that speeds up movement made a lot cheaper. This would be useful to build in some cities I plan to move, but not others, allowing a little bit of specialization. Unfortunately because it has such a weirdly high production cost it's rarely worth taking the time to get it up before moving the city.

I've only played one game so far (I only downloaded RT at the weekend) but I only moved one city and that was because I had captured it and it was in a crap spot (AI spam city). I therefore moved it colser to my borders and somewhere with a lot more resources. I honestly don't see much point in moving location - I try to find an optimal spot and stay there. What is the point in farming/mining/improving the sea tiles just to move away from them,? It honestly makes no sense to me

Do aquatic cities still have the three tile limit for workable tiles?

Hm. Thus far, I have not played a BERT or BE game with a mind to win. I play it like Civ - I putter around a lot and then I decide on winning when I get tired of playing SimCiv. This generally takes about 200-250 turns, most of which is spent doing nothing in particular. Cute stuff.

I move cities a lot. It's one of those things. For tile-claiming, I build all the production facilities and then Tidal Turbine and Thermohaline Rudder, both of which have their own outputs. With routes coming in, this will generally move the city move to 1 turn - that's when I start moving the city.

For area claiming, I do the same thing but I move it a lot more, usually accompanied by a bunch of workers, improving tiles as I go. Usually, you only need a single city for this, and a "path" of cities you're going to leave in your wake. You move the primary city across the map, 1 tile per turn and found stationary cities in the previously claimed tiles, not necessarily aquatic cities themselves. As long as you're claiming 3 tiles per move and you work the resource tiles left behind with new cities, it's actually not too bad. Cue argument about how most of the output is in Trade Routes anyway.

Top Bottom