How should I approach this epic battle?

Esfera

Warlord

I have side matters on ,so units can fuse to create stronger ones, that's precisely the problem, because the AI has created a very powerful unit fusing a much as 81* "modern militia" units together.

My strongest units are 75 (3 fused paratroopers), 68.5 (3 fused early marines) and 60 (1 non-fusible guerrilla).
Bombarding this gargantuan unit is a good source of unlimited experience and great general points but it causes almost no damage.

How exactly should I try to defeat this mighty unit.

Thoughts, opinions and observations are welcomed aswell.

* 3 ^ 4 = 81 fused individual units

Edit: I have also Surround and Destroy on but the bonus obtaining from surrounding the unit tends to be unimportant in late game

My first idea would be heroes with Bottleneck promotions: Heroes are usually Solo units with a very high base strength, so they now get the Bottleneck advantage per group size difference. This should already allow for a massive advantage.

Second: Do you have a Field Commander? The boni they can give with a few promotions of their own can be massive.

Third: You don't play with Terrain Damage, do you? Otherwise, if you could force that unit to spend a few turns in hostile terrain, it would already be a lot weaker (and massive group size means next to no healing without a doctor).

Thanks tmv for the reply, very good ideas.
My first idea would be heroes with Bottleneck promotions: Heroes are usually Solo units with a very high base strength, so they now get the Bottleneck advantage per group size difference. This should already allow for a massive advantage.
A very neat exploit, as heroes count as the smallest group type.

Second: Do you have a Field Commander? The boni they can give with a few promotions of their own can be massive.
No, I don't rely on them very much as if they get captured they will give a free great general to AI.

Third: You don't play with Terrain Damage, do you? Otherwise, if you could force that unit to spend a few turns in hostile terrain, it would already be a lot weaker (and massive group size means next to no healing without a doctor).
No. I will give it a try, this will be my first time.

Reactions: tmv
I'd mass build and stack Infantry units that have 34 :strength: and a +25% against Gunpowder units. You're also researching Manufacturing which unlocks Modern Infantry (50 :strength:) see if it is worthwhile to wait for it and then upgrade all Infantry.

I'd mass build and stack Infantry units that have 34 :strength: and a +25% against Gunpowder units. You're also researching Manufacturing which unlocks Modern Infantry (50 :strength:) see if it is worthwhile to wait for it and then upgrade all Infantry.
Yep, training infantry units was one of my first ideas despite their low strenght and then upgrading them once I am done researching manufacturing and I had defeated the unit (as uploading is cheaper that hurrying), didn't know that modern infantry also gets a bonus against gunpowder so now I am probably waiting until getting that tech, I thought that modern infantry were pretty much like paratroopers but without the ability of moving 5 tiles from any city, that's why I was not in a hurry (until now) of researching manufacturing.
I am using a slow gamespeed so is worhwhile to wait until getting the technology, 10 turns is not that much, probably I should tell Moctezuma (my new ally) to research the same thing as me, my fault on that.
Thanks Kation.

A unit this big is powerful in defense but can only attack once per turn. So little threat comes from it unless you are actively attacking it.
Lure it into a corner and make sure it doesn't leave that corner. Or accept that you will lose one defensive battle each turn and dedicate part of your production to replace that loss. Then use your army to go conquer some cities. Meanwhile, wait for a better opportunity to take it out. Technological progress gives better units. Or perhaps it keeps attacking until it has bad luck one battle and is weakened considerably.

Top Bottom