How to add Great works to Civilization V Brave New World

XboxAddict77

Wonder Spammer
So you want to make great works for Sid Meiers Civilization V Brave New World do ya? Here's how to do it:
There are 3 types of great works as we all know, they are:
1. Great Works of Art, (gwoa)
2.Great Works of Literature, (gwoL)
3.Great Works of Music, (gwom)
Their all coded a bit differently. The basis of each of them and the simplest to code are the the gwoA. To code a gwoa you need 3 .xml files from ModBuddy and a .dds file, (your picture).
The 3 Tables you need to add to are
1. The "UniqueNames" Table
2. The "GreatWorks" Table
3. And the "Language_en_US" Text database file. If you need to find the tables in the game code the game files are , in order of listed above: SM CivV stands for "sid meier's civilization v.
1.SM CivV/Assets/DLC/Expantion2/Gameplay/XML/Units/CIV5UNITS_EXPANSION2.xml
2.SM CivV/Assets/DLC/Expantion2/Gameplay/XML/Gameinfo/CIV5GreatWorks_EXPANSION2.xml
3.SM CivV/Assets/DLC/Expantion2/Gameplay/XML/Text/(Multiple files)

First we want to decide what art we want to add, I'll add "Death of Marat" by Jacques-Louis David.
Step 1
Here is a fill in the blank style this is the base of adding a great artist.
First we need to add Jacques-Louis David as a great artist, to do this we add an entry to the "UniqueNames" table. So we do the following code:
Code:
<GameData>
   <Unit_UniqueNames>
      <Row>
1.         <UnitType>UNIT_ARTIST</UnitType>
2.         <UniqueName>TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JACQUES_DAVID</UniqueName>
3.        <GreatWorkType>GREAT_WORK_DEATH_OF_MARAT</GreatWorkType>
      </Row>
   </Unit_UniqueNames>
</GameData>
If you want to add more artists just make more rows.
Now what do these numbers mean?
1.UNIT_ARTIST means your adding a name for a Great Artist.
2.Replace "JACQUES_DAVID" with the first and last name of the artist your adding
3.Replace "GREAT_WORK_DEATH_OF_MARAT" with the name of the work you want
the artist to make (ie the one that artist made and the one your adding.)
Congratulations you've completed step one. Now lets write the second .xml file.
STEP 2
In this step we are going to make the xml that adds the great work we want. Floow this code:
Code:
<GameData>
	<GreatWorks>
		<Row>
1.			<Type>GREAT_WORK_DEATH_OF_MARAT</Type>                         2.                  <GreatWorkClasssType>GREAT_WORK_ART</GreatWorkClasssType>
3.		<Description>TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_DEATH_OF_MARAT</Description>
4.			<Audio>AS2D_GREAT_ARTIST_ARTWORK</Audio>
5.			<Image>GW_DeathofMarat.dds</Image>
		</Row>
	</GreatWorks>
</GameData>
Now what do those numbers mean?
1.Replace "GREAT_WORK_DEATH_OF_MARAT" With the name of the work your adding.
2."GREAT_WORK_ART" Means your adding a great work of art and not writing/music.
3."TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_DEATH_OF_MARAT", this is for your text file. Replace my GW name with your GW name.
4."AS2D_GREAT_ARTIST_ARTWORK" No matter what put this in like mine, it adds the music when you discover the art.
5."GW_DeathofMarat.dds" This is the name of the Art file of the gwoa.
Now you know how to code new great work of art in, if you want more just add more rows.
On the next post I'll show you how to code the text file xml as well as some tips for the art.dds files.

Now we need to code the text files.
STEP 3
Now follow this code:
Code:
<GameData>
	<Language_en_US>
1.		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_DEATH_OF_MARAT">
2.			<Text>Death of Marat</Text>
		</Row>
	</Language_en_US>	
</GameData>
What do those numbers mean?
1.Keep the "<Row Tag=" but replace the TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_DEATH_OF_MARAT"> with what ever you put stating with "TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK"
2.Put between the text the name of the work.
Now code this for your artist:
Code:
<GameData>
	<Language_en_US>
1.		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_PERSON_JACQUES_DAVID">
2.			<Text>Jacques-Louis David</Text>
		</Row>
	</Language_en_US>	
</GameData>
I think you can figure this out!
Now you have coded your text for your new artist name and the name of the great work.
STEP 4
Here are some tips on the art files.
-There is no exact size, just make them about 700x600 pixels or visa-versa.
Make sure when you put the .dds files in ModBuddy rightclick on the file and make sure "import into VFS" is set to true or enabled!

For Great works of Music/Writtings you need to change a few things,
1.When making a new GP, instead of putting "UNIT_ARTIST" Put either "UNIT_MUSICIAN" or UNIT_WRITER" whichever one your doing.
2.Do this for the xml file for Literature:
Code:
<GameData>
	<GreatWorks>
		<Row>
			<Type>GREAT_WORK_ART_OF_WAR</Type>
			<GreatWorkClasssType>GREAT_WORK_LITERATURE</GreatWorkClasssType>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_ART_OF_WAR</Description>
			<Quote>TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_QUOTE_ART_OF_WAR</Quote>
			<Audio>AS2D_GREAT_ARTIST_ARTWORK</Audio>
			<Image>GreatWriter_Background.dds</Image>
		</Row>
	</GreatWorks> 
</GameData>
Notice "ART_OF_WAR" is just the name of the work, replace it with whatever you want. I kept the Audio as the artist audio because you can't add sounds via modding.
You need to make another text entry to provide the quote so do this:
Code:
<GameData>
	<Language_en_US>
		<Row Tag="TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_QUOTE_ART_OF_WAR">
			<Text>If you know both yourself and your enemy, you can win numerous (literally, "a hundred") battles without jeopardy.</Text>
		</Row>
	</Language_en_US>
</GameData>
Again replace the "ART_OF_WAR" with your work, and put in your own quote.
3. For Music do this:
Code:
<GameData>
   <GreatWorks>
      <Row>
			<Type>GREAT_WORK_YOUNG_PERSONS_GUIDE</Type>
			     <GreatWorkClassType>GREAT_WORK_MUSIC</GreatWorkClassType>
			<Description>TXT_KEY_GREAT_WORK_YOUNG_PERSONS_GUIDE</Description>
			<Audio>AS2D_GREAT_ARTIST_ARTWORK</Audio>
			<Image>GreatMusician_Background.dds</Image>
		</Row>
   </GreatWorks>
</GameData>
Replace the "YOUNG_PERSONS_GUIDE" with the name of your GW.
Keep "AS2D_GREAT_ARTIST_ARTWORK" remember you can't add sounds via modding so even though its a gwom we have to keep it this way. :(
Also keep the background the same.:)

Awesome! Thanks so much for this! I have a few questions.

I used modbuddy to make 4 distinct xml files. The content of each xml file is identical to one of your indented examples (with the exception of the individual names of the artists/works.) I've placed these 4 xml files and a dds file (the actual picture) in a new folder titled Great Artist Mod. The Great Artist Mod folder's contents consist of just these five items. Is this correct so far?

I also don't know what you mean by this:

Make sure when you put the files in ModBuddy rightclick on the file and make sure "import into VFS" is set to true or enabled!

I was under the impression that mods go in the folder called MODS (...My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\MODS) That's where all my other mods end up. Also, how do I put files in Modbuddy? I know how to use Modbuddy to create XML files but not put files in it and I don't know where or how to check whether "import into VFS" is set to true or enabled.

Awesome! Thanks so much for this! I have a few questions.

I used modbuddy to make 4 distinct xml files. The content of each xml file is identical to one of your indented examples (with the exception of the individual names of the artists/works.) I've placed these 4 xml files and a dds file (the actual picture) in a new folder titled Great Artist Mod. The Great Artist Mod folder's contents consist of just these five items. Is this correct so far?

I also don't know what you mean by this:

Make sure when you put the files in ModBuddy rightclick on the file and make sure "import into VFS" is set to true or enabled!

I was under the impression that mods go in the folder called MODS (...My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\MODS) That's where all my other mods end up. Also, how do I put files in Modbuddy? I know how to use Modbuddy to create XML files but not put files in it and I don't know where or how to check whether "import into VFS" is set to true or enabled.

Ok you got the dds file with the rest of your xml files right? If not you just drag it in from the desktop. Right click on it and set "import VFS" to "true."

Ok you got the dds file with the rest of your xml files right? If not you just drag it in from the desktop. Right click on it and set "import VFS" to "true."

Right click on the dds file? I don't have that option. The only things I see are

Open
Open with...
----------------------
Share with
------------------
Send to
------------------
Cut
Copy
----------------
Create shortcut
Delete
Rename
------------------
Open file location
------------------
Properties

Right click on the dds file? I don't have that option. The only things I see are

Open
Open with...
----------------------
Share with
------------------
Send to
------------------
Cut
Copy
----------------
Create shortcut
Delete
Rename
------------------
Open file location
------------------
Properties

No, have you put the .dds file in modbuddy? where ever that file is just drag it in modbudy so its with your xml files. here i'll get a pic

See I have the .dds file in modbuddy Does yours look anything like that?
Spoiler :
[/URL][/IMG]

Then I right click on "GW_Spolairium.dds and this shows:
Spoiler :
[/URL][/IMG]

Set Import into VFS to true

Aaah, I think I got it! I had Modbuddy save it in the ...My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\MODS folder. I started up Civ5 but it says there are no mods. I followed your instructions on how to write and make the mod. Do you know how to get it to show up in-game?

Aaah, I think I got it! I had Modbuddy save it in the ...My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization V\MODS folder. I started up Civ5 but it says there are no mods. I followed your instructions on how to write and make the mod. Do you know how to get it to show up in-game?

You saved the project to the mods folder, which is fine. You need to build a solution, look at the top of modbuddy and hit build solution. Make sure all your xml files have actions too or they wont be in the game.

Also have you read Kael's mod making guide? it helps alot!

No, but I'll check that out too. Thanks again for all the help! :):thanx::hatsoff:

EDIT: lol, turns out I have read that guide a couple years ago (I gave modding a quick shot then but didn't get very far at all.)

So I finally got the mod to work! It's a great feeling to see your creations actually functioning in the game. I just wanted to mention these two things.

For a while I wasn't seeing my great artists showing up. I checked the actual game files and there was a difference from what you've written. The first is under your Step 1. Instead of <UniqueNames> the game files had <Unit_UniqueNames>.

I don't know if this affected anything though. I also made an actual mistake that I fixed as well so that may have been the problem. Also, it might be worth mentioning that if the image is too big, the close button will not be available and you will get stuck. If it is MUCH too big the game will freeze (I'm now searching the internet for more appropriate portrait sizes.)

So I finally got the mod to work! It's a great feeling to see your creations actually functioning in the game. I just wanted to mention these two things.

For a while I wasn't seeing my great artists showing up. I checked the actual game files and there was a difference from what you've written. The first is under your Step 1. Instead of <UniqueNames> the game files had <Unit_UniqueNames>.

I don't know if this affected anything though. I also made an actual mistake that I fixed as well so that may have been the problem. Also, it might be worth mentioning that if the image is too big, the close button will not be available and you will get stuck. If it is MUCH too big the game will freeze (I'm now searching the internet for more appropriate portrait sizes.)

Opps guess I missed that table name this here is why you never code when your tired lol. consider the op fixed.

Make sure all your xml files have actions too or they wont be in the game.

I've read over this thread, as I've been trying to add a few great works myself, using your guide in the OP. However what exactly do you mean by "adding an action" to each XML file? I have 4 XML files and the dds file (the 4 XML files each being based on the templates you provided), and the mod shows up in the Mods menu.

On a side note, isn't the "Death of Marat" already in the game?

Okay, I need help.

I followed all the instructions and when I'm ingame I can spawn the Great Artist I created but he's never able to produce a great work! I've redone this tutorial like 3 times and the issue persists. I made sure the I selected the "Import to VFS" option, I set the 3 XML files to UpdateDataBase on ModActivated, I don't know what I may be missing... help plz =/

Okay, I need help.

I followed all the instructions and when I'm ingame I can spawn the Great Artist I created but he's never able to produce a great work! I've redone this tutorial like 3 times and the issue persists. I made sure the I selected the "Import to VFS" option, I set the 3 XML files to UpdateDataBase on ModActivated, I don't know what I may be missing... help plz =/
Given this is a pretty old and somewhat outdated tutorial you'd probably have better luck starting a help request thread in the main creation & customization forum. You would want to add the current version of your mod as a zip attachment to the opening post. In any event without seeing the code of your mod there's no way to know what you've done wrong except that it's a fair bet you haven't properly attached the great work to the great person under table <Unit_UniqueNames>.

Top Bottom