How to extend the - Value of Silver?

The only way you are going to raise the price of silver is buying it in massive quantities. In an endless game you could mine and sell silver until the value was 1 and then move 1000 galleons to europe and buy 600,000 silver for 600,000 gold. The next turn when silver shoots up to 20 gold each you could sell it all back for 12,000,000 gold. The next turn when silver drops to 1 you could move 19,000 galleons more to europe and buy 12,000,000 silver and then the following turn you could sell it all back for a total of 240,000,000 million gold.

But like i said it would take a nearly endless game to build all those ships and mine all that silver.

If you play as the Dutch prices should be more stable but the price of silver will still drop eventually. Best to just accept it and plan to convert your silver colony to another item (tools or guns perhaps) when the price drops too low.

In the original game the prices of all goods were much more sensitive, not just silver. I remember seeing furs drop to 0/1 in one game.

But like i said it would take a nearly endless game to build all those ships and mine all that silver.
Very true, but you don't need to exploit this on *that* massive a scale. I ran the scam with about 3600 silver and waited until the price rose to 12 or so. Since I had to pay 2 per that's only a factor of 6, and then the King took over 50%, so it was profitable but far from game breaking...and that doesn't count purchasing the transports (and ending up with excess capacity).

[Edit] I forgot to mention the opportunity cost of tying up that much transport for that long. The backlog of inventory then gets sold at a higher tax rate.

I think this should not be an issue. You should have an economy 100% independant from import WAYYY before the silver prices becomes a problem. Once you have your arsenal and 3 gunsmiths + supporting folks, the only thing useful stuff from europe are horses. And it just happens horses are extremely cheap.

You have to cut your expense to what you really need : 1 Early fisherman, 300 ish Early tools, 4 Lumberjacks, 2-3 Carpenters, 2-3 Blacksmith, 3 Gunsmith and 1 elder stateman.

The rest is all optional. It is extremely profitable to get your Ore Miners, farmers and fishermans from the native villages instead of buying them.

My point in all that, is the amount of money you need to get your colony running 100% is TONS less than the volume of goods you have to sell to make the prices of goods drop significantly. Any extra money after goes for cannon, horses and elder statemans.

Conclusion? Stop worrying about the prices of goods, arm those miners and fight.

I dont totally agree, i think tools are always an important commodity to buy from europe and price hikes can effect your economy with this product more than any other since its the core element used to build buildings, transports, warships, guns, cannon, and used temporarily to make improvements on turrain.

I advise buying tools from europe until the price is 4x what it costs to sell ore for. Then it is a good time to shift production into ore mining and blacksmithing to augment your already booming gunsmithing, cannon foundry, and shipyards.

And if you truely want to distance yourself from europe you can shift a fishing/farming village from colonist production into horsebreeding once you have enough population to support your industries.

Top Bottom