1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to improve "prince" game most effectively?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by civ4_asker, Apr 3, 2020.

1. shakabrade

shakabrade Praise Vivec!

One turn of doing nothing is not good as others are doing something. Civ starts are usually balanced, you should get at least something in the Big Fat Cross (BFC we call it here). Your civilization is progressing exponentially, and one turn lost is a lot. The only justification for wasting a turn is if you are sure that the new location is better than SiP (Sit in Place). Then your initial base value (food, hammers, commerce yields) is higher and you will catch up with the lost turn. It is helpful to see stuff mathematically for this game.

I'd say that you moved SW the way the warrior stands and what is visible. You revealed 2 tiles at best. :(

2. dr£ddlord

dr£ddlord Chieftain

Spoiler :
    I play at Monarch usually but here's my start. Grab as much land as possible at the beginning. The best food resources are corn, pigs and fish usually.
    upload_2020-4-4_13-3-57.png

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  3. dr£ddlord

dr£ddlord Chieftain

Spoiler :
    1st in score, ahead in tech, turn 97
    upload_2020-4-4_13-49-40.png

4. civ4_asker

civ4_asker Chieftain

ok thanks for your multiple help!
    As I understood, moving the settler is only wise if you see some serious advantages in doing so and losing one turn in an exponential setting can be quite severe.

So if I understood correctly according to this very great guide from Fippy: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/beginner-help-the-basics.648469/
    I should focus on the food tech and worker first, so I could tech Animal Husbandry for the cows and scout with the warrior, ok?

In which intervalls should I post new screenshots?

Civ4ScreenShot0016.JPG

Attached Files:

5. Jellybug

Jellybug Chieftain

Often the warrior/ scout's best first move will be to reveal, if possible, what you would lose by moving the settler

6. Anysense

Anysense King

Yes, with pigs being great food tile Animal Husbandry is obvious first tech. Can't see how many turns to build a worker but it should be 12, good timing with AH. Perhaps you need to check 'detailed city info' in game options.

7. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

Looks like you missed my post about BUG/BULL mod. I recommend that you install.

Another important aspect of the Turn 0 decision is analysis. You can tell certain things about land near your settler even tiles you can’t see. As others said the game assures you of at least one food resource. That food is not visible here but we can often guess even with certainty where it might be. This is called fog-gazing. Food on land will never be on tiles with forests- exception is deer but deer only in northern or southern artic type regions. Knowing this we can can make assumptions about where food will be or might be.

So the idea here is that you want to usually settle on turn 0, whether SIP or 1 tile over somewhere if no hill or forest to impede. Otherwise the only reason to lose a turn is to gain a tangible benefit to the new city like moving on a Plains Hill PH to get a bonus hammer to city tile. But one would not make such a move and lose food. Also one would not just flat scout with settler.

For the first turnset you can play until the worker completes then report. Meanwhile warrior scouts around immediate land 5 to 10 tile radius.

Subsequent turnsets are up to you but shorter the better. I’d say no more than 10 turns but definitely stop at key decision points and always feel free to stop when you have questions or concerns about your approach, or unknowns.

8. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Learn something new every day. Figured there was a hot key for it but never found it. Thx.
    I'm doing some comparison testing and looking for similar type starts. You can't control many other things but the start you can.

9. soundjata

soundjata Be like water

@shakabrade nice to see you well and alive man. Still a dragon?

10. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Side note, 3:hammers: forested plains hill tile is very valuable here.
    With expansive you need 4:hammers: to get 25% discount on workers, resulting in 3 fully saved turns for empire building.
    Imo the very first step in getting better is understanding why those turns are just as valuable as later ones with many cities.