How to install a Leaderhead in CIV IV BTS

your idea worked however now it says hippolyta class info is wrong and to go to the civilization 4 infos file xml

I guess you added a whole civilization, right? With an unique unit, right?
Then please check the spelling of the unit again. It might be, that you named it in the UnitInfos.xml hipolyta, but in the CivilizationInfos.xml hippolyta, or something similar.

Hello,

First off I just want to thank everyone for the guide and for helping out. I am having a similar problem to the person earlier, where something appears wrong with my LeaderHeadInfo (and CivilizationInfo as well) files. I added the <CivilizationInfo> and <LeaderheadInfo> tags, but I am still getting the same error. Here's what I have:

LeaderHeadInfo:
Code:
 <?xml version="1.0" ?> 
- <!--  Sid Meier's Civilization 4 Beyond the Sword 
  --> 
- <!--  Modified by the Civ Gold Team 
  --> 
- <!--  
  --> 
- <Civ4LeaderHeadInfos xmlns="x-schema:Tamerlane_CIV4CivilizationsSchema.xml">
- <LeaderHeadInfo>
- <LeaderHeadInfos>
  <Type>LEADER_TAMERLANE</Type>

CivilizationInfo:
Code:
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!-- edited with XMLSPY v2004 rel. 2 U (http://www.xmlspy.com) by Firaxis Games (Firaxis Games) -->
<!-- Sid Meier's Civilization 4 -->
<!-- Copyright Firaxis Games 2005 -->
<!-- -->
<!-- Civilization Infos -->
<Civ4CivilizationInfos xmlns="x-schema:Tamerlane_CIV4CivilizationsSchema.xml">
	<CivilizationInfos>
<CivilizationInfo>
		     <Type>CIVILIZATION_UZBEKISTAN</Type>

I also made sure to close the tags at the end, so it can't be that.

This is my first time ever doing this and I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished so far, but I am getting a little frustrated at my inability to fix this problem. Thanks in advance!

I did some more tinkering and I managed to fix the two errors that I was getting before. Now there are some more errors popping up in other areas. I figured this would happen because I am also trying to install a new civilization as well as a leader... I'll just show you some of them:

If you need the codes in those files, I have those as well. Is there a great guide like this one to installing civs? I think that is where half of my problem is stemming from. I was also getting errors like these :)()

Thanks so much.

Okay...with which program are you editing the files?
I see in your first XML part here some " - " before some <.
If i read the first error message right, Civ is failing to load the files, because they're (not due to modding) borked, and these extra signs might cause it. Sometimes this is due to some strange programs, which do not save the files correctly.

Some of the follow up errors might be caused by this too.

Second error: You seem to try to load a civilization in BtS, which was not made for BtS. If you did this yourself, then you probably took either a warlords or base civ ("vanilla") file as basis, not a BtS one.

Third error: You gave your civ a custom color, but forgot to define it in ColorVals.xml. A custom color is not necessary, i'd rather suggest that you take an existing one.

Fourth error: It seems you defined a unique building for your civ in the CivilizationInfos.xml, but you didn't add that building to your buidlings\buildingInfos.xml (or you spelled the name incorrectly in one of the files).

Okay...with which program are you editing the files?
I see in your first XML part here some " - " before some <.
If i read the first error message right, Civ is failing to load the files, because they're (not due to modding) borked, and these extra signs might cause it. Sometimes this is due to some strange programs, which do not save the files correctly.

Some of the follow up errors might be caused by this too.

Second error: You seem to try to load a civilization in BtS, which was not made for BtS. If you did this yourself, then you probably took either a warlords or base civ ("vanilla") file as basis, not a BtS one.

Third error: You gave your civ a custom color, but forgot to define it in ColorVals.xml. A custom color is not necessary, i'd rather suggest that you take an existing one.

Fourth error: It seems you defined a unique building for your civ in the CivilizationInfos.xml, but you didn't add that building to your buidlings\buildingInfos.xml (or you spelled the name incorrectly in one of the files).

Thank you again for the help.

I am using Notepad as an editor. I guess I should be using Notepad++? I figured Notepad would work since is the first time I'm trying to mod anything.

As to your explanation for the second error, that definitely makes sense, since I just kind of assumed that the mod would work in BtS, but it didn't specify exactly which versions of the game would work with it.

I guess I might just start all over again when I figure out exactly which games the mods were designed for.

I am using Notepad as an editor. I guess I should be using Notepad++? I figured Notepad would work since is the first time I'm trying to mod anything.

Notepad is okay.
Could you maybe attach that first file? Would want to take a look at it.

As to your explanation for the second error, that definitely makes sense, since I just kind of assumed that the mod would work in BtS, but it didn't specify exactly which versions of the game would work with it.

I guess I might just start all over again when I figure out exactly which games the mods were designed for.

Depending on what stuff you're trying out, you should take a look at the top of the respective subforum. In most cases there's some sort of request thread stickied, and you should then just throw your question about the version of whatever mod you're trying in there.
It's likely that some regular can somehow give you a hint (and i'll at least try to).

Notepad is okay.
Could you maybe attach that first file? Would want to take a look at it.

Depending on what stuff you're trying out, you should take a look at the top of the respective subforum. In most cases there's some sort of request thread stickied, and you should then just throw your question about the version of whatever mod you're trying in there.
It's likely that some regular can somehow give you a hint (and i'll at least try to).

If you're talking about the ArtDefinesLeaderhead file, I had to save it as a txt file to send it to you. I have it as an xml file normally, though.

As for your other advice, I will most definitely try to get all of my stuff together so I can post it in the subforums and look for help there. I've given up for the time being, but I will consider it.

Attachments

• Tamerlane_CIV4ArtDefines_Leaderhead.txt
    715 bytes · Views: 173
If you're talking about the ArtDefinesLeaderhead file, I had to save it as a txt file to send it to you. I have it as an xml file normally, though.

Okay, see it.
Not sure if maybe the notepad settings are borked or not, but the spaces at the beginning and the - at the beginning of some lines should really not be there, civ4 will not be able to load that file.

As for your other advice, I will most definitely try to get all of my stuff together so I can post it in the subforums and look for help there. I've given up for the time being, but I will consider it.

Before the posts go in the wrong section: Either in the request stickies of the respective subforums, or, if you want to create a new thread, in the main forum.
Question threads in the subforums will be moved to the main forum, to ensure some tidiness here.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I'm installing a civ and everything has worked correctly so far except the text for the civ. The civ and its unique unit have text but everything else doesn't have text. Here's a screenshot of the first couple lines of the code. The civ description, short description, and adjective all failed to appear on the game. I downloaded the custom civ from here and the code looked good but idk...any advice would be awesome. Thanks

Attachments

• gameText.png
    gameText.png
    251.9 KB · Views: 208
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I'm installing a civ and everything has worked correctly so far except the text for the civ. The civ and its unique unit have text but everything else doesn't have text. Here's a screenshot of the first couple lines of the code. The civ description, short description, and adjective all failed to appear on the game. I downloaded the custom civ from here and the code looked good but idk...any advice would be awesome. Thanks

Nevermind I figured it out. The game text didn't match with the civ, unit, and building infos so the text wasn't being loaded.

I've done what the first post said to add a leaderhead to a civ but somehow that leader doesnt even appear in the game. no error message or anything.

Yeah, I'm having the same issue HaloCapella is having. I'm attaching my mod [i know that was meant toward him but maybe you could help me out too?

Attachments

• My mod.rar
    7.6 MB · Views: 214
Welcome to the forums, and sure I can help :).

a couple of things:
- In MyMod\MyMod.ini, change
PHP:
; Modular XML Loading
ModularLoading = 0

to 1, else none of your files will be loaded
- In the CivilizationInfos.xml you have LEADER_HITLER, in the LeaderheadInfos.xml you have LEADER_Hitler -> upper/lowercase matters IIRC.
- The leaderheadInfos.xml references the wrong schema file
- In the leaderHeadInfos.xml, the tag
PHP:
<Leaderheadinfo>
(and corresponding closing tag) is missing after the Leaderheadinfos
- the file Hitler_CIV4ArtDefines_Leader.xml has to be Hitler_CIV4ArtDefines_Leaderhead.xml
- In the Hitler_CIV4ArtDefines_Leaderhead.xml, the tag
PHP:
<LeaderheadArtInfo>
(and corresponding closing tag) is missing after the LeaderheadArtInfos
- the button in ArtDefines_Leaderheads is wrong. Not sure where that file is from, but a button should not be bigger than 64*64 (and this file is really a lot bigger)
- and most important: All your XML files are named .xml.xml, which means they don't match the normal file names and again none of them are loaded! Remove the last .xml, and everything should work.

In case you don't see the .xml.xml -> it seems in your windows settings the display of file extension of known files is turned off. You should be able to change that in the windows explorer, when you go to "extras" -> "folder options" -> "display", there untick the option "Don't display file extensions for known file types".
(note: That's a self made translation from a German WinXP, so the exact location and wording might differ)

I didn't think you would respond so fast. I noticed the missing tags but I can't believe how many other "simple" mistakes I made. :blush: The button file came with the download but I can make my own with Gimp. Thank you sooo much. :worship:

So I have successfully installed a few leaderheads in my game. My problem though is none of them seem to be using the thoughtfully well written "AI_DIPLO_FIRST_CONTACT_LEADER_(leader)_1" comments I thoughtfully wrote.:(

Anyone know what dictates this? Thanks in advance. And sorry if this is wrong fourm placement but it does relate to Leaderhead installation.

edit*Found the answer after much forum scouring and low and behold the answer was from you The_J. You are a god-send. :thumbsup:

I have checked and double checked my info files. Everything looks right but ingame nothing shows up in the Civpedia or leader list. Just a pink square for the button and blank info. Everything seems to point to the right file location but nothing. I'm stumped!

Top Bottom