How to make a proper use of industry

Gokudo01

Emperor
1 - the reasoning behind picking industry

2 - the pick order.

3 - What's the biggest advantages against rationalism ( which will be able to unlock wonder and key techs first )

That's not a direct answer to your questions, but I usually take industry as a post-ideology tree. In games when I have a big cultural advance (ex : Poland), I usually take rationalism, then few tenets, then industry, then the other interesting tenets.
Industry gives gold, and late game war are economic wars, so anything that give you gold is good for winning.
(And if you taken freedom, you can literally buy the victory)

1. I've gone wider than I expected. My cities are underdeveloped (wide Tradition, or Authority). My use of villages and farms is limited. My civ uniques favor trading routes.

2. I usually take the policy that improves money buildings first. The extra great merchants last. I don't pay much attention at the others order.

3. Production. Happiness. Upgraded army. Rationalism requires a happy empire, this kind of limits what you can do.

I've had better luck with Rationalism than Industry in my recent games, with Industry I find my Science frequently slipping late-game (even compared to other Civs that didn't go Rationalism sometimes), which can be particularly dangerous if you were planning for a culture/diplo victory that goes south. Like tu mentioned though, Industry is better if you're having Happiness problems with the Poverty reduction/luxury boost and the way that Rationalism needs your empire to be happy to get the full benefits.

I do think Broadway is a better wonder than Bletchey Park, too.

For my playing style (science victory preferred victory type, more often than not I found a religion with pacifism), rationalism is much better 99% of the time. I find many of the industry's policies underwhelming compared to those of rationalism. So unfortunately I can't help you.

1 - the reasoning behind picking industry

2 - the pick order.

3 - What's the biggest advantages against rationalism ( which will be able to unlock wonder and key techs first )

1. Civs that have UA/UB related to trade. Venice, Germany, Morocco, Portugal, Ottoman. Any wide empire to increase productivity.
2. L1-L2-R1-R2-Final
3. Snowballs better with progress or authority. More units/buildings and gold to support them.

I really think that late game units are too cheap to buy, and it hurts industry. In theory an industry vs rationalism war would be a bigger army vs a smaller, but higher tech army. However I don't have issues fielding a big army with rationalism.

So currently the only appeal I really see to industry is happiness, directly from poverty reduction and indirectly from being able to build more stuff

I played Industry multiple times and i thinks its fine. Indeed, you'll get less science from it so if you want a space ship - don't take it, but Broadway as a tourism wonder is great, also if you play Tourism Victory - you don't really need to be first in tech, but ability to build more stuff and to invest in Wonders and buildings is great, touristic civ lacks production.

For Diplomatic Victory its even more straight forward - you need money and production to build diplomats and you get tons of science from Wire Services, moreover you need that production and gold to defend your City-States. Also if you screwed up before, Industry is really good in getting you unscrewed

EDIT: that policy that gives you +2:c5science:/2:c5culture: from Banks and Customs is awful. It gives you 30 science and culture when you already have ~700-1000

I usually take Industry if I am going Diplo Victory to provide money for diplomats and unit gifting. The money can be used to rush building and Wonders which are available with Statecraft. Suits a wide peaceful empire well in my opinion.
While it has no direct science boosts, you can buy science building almost immediately and get them faster than your opponents. Buying important tiles when settling those late-game cities is also good.

going from 50 to 60% are not exactly instant ...

-30% purchase cost also, while reducing the build cost to 40%, being 20% faster than normal buying, while getting 15 Gold (scaling by era) back when the building is done, makes them very cheap and fast to build.
Combine this with e.g. Progress getting 20% build speed and food and culture when done.

Top Bottom