1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to make the game harder?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by japanesesamurai, Sep 19, 2020.

1. gpmarkvii

gpmarkvii Chieftain

Roll an old age map.

2. Mahi

Mahi Prince

I encourage all people saying that they ein easily to play on maps with continents on large or above. There is a scaling on the difficulty on larger maps IMO. I always tend to do fairly well in the games but there's usually one or two AI which is running away tech-wise on the other continent. I had two games in a row where I found that the AI on other continents where having massive science output compared to rest of the civs. Scale the map size and limit the access to AIs before you can cross open seas. It really makes a game much more challenging.

3. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

This can be very easily won by a frigate rush I guess. Ai is not good at sea combats.

4. CrabHelmet

CrabHelmet King

I've actually been finding the game a fair bit harder since the Gaul/Byzantium patch. The AI on Deity are much keener on keeping up their Science infrastructure and I find they are almost always teching ahead of me until at least turn 170 or so. Domination is really rough now as anything other than a small handful of select Civs with frontloaded bonuses. I can still usually get a Science win, but DV, CV, and especially RV have a got a good amount more difficult now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
  5. SaboteurINT

SaboteurINT Chieftain

Play on Greatest Earth TSL (huge map) from YNAMP

Deity.

All standard settings + extra 1 civ and 2 city states more than normal.

Must be:

Win by Domination

You must find a religion and keep it to the end.

You must play as one of civs from Western/Central Europe or Middle-East (Arabia not allowed due to always religion)
    Those are regions with little space but many neighbours

NO restarting NO reloading (even due to miss-click)

Good luck.

6. Zaimejs

Zaimejs Emperor

How could you get that much production out of a zero production city? I just don't get these gamers. I suck, but enjoy my suckiness :)

japanesesamurai likes this.
  7. japanesesamurai

japanesesamurai Prince

I don’t think that is a lot of fun. It’s a bit grindy.
    In fact I tend to sometimes disable domination victory as the game will hide the army strength of your opponents with dom victory disabled.

The zero production was in my first ring and capital. Not much in the outher rings either though.
    But with desert folklore and work ethic + holy site policy card, internal trade routes + policy card, ruhr valley, petra and a coal factory, you can turn a weak desert area into monster city

8. Leah and Rachael

Leah and Rachael Chieftain

I agree on changing your approach to the game. If your goal is to win as fast as possible, and there's nothing wrong with that, there is nothing that any changes to the game (whether mods or even via patches) can do to make it 'harder'. That's fine. But know what you're getting yourself into.

For instance, I pretty much never get early wins because of how I play. If I see the chance of a canal+Panama Canal city, I'll go for it even if it doesn't serve my victory goals at all! I'll try to make a really good Industrial Zone because I've seen a three-city configuration which will give me three aqueducts and two dams, but then I'll end up not using that Industrial Zone for pursuing any particular victory because the pleasure I derived from it was in building a +12 adjacency Industrial Zone.
    I'll build railroads not only because I think they look pretty, but also the entire Civ needs to be interconnected. I can't build spaceports next to city centers or even any other district - who does that?! For me, Holy Sites and Theatre Squares don't mix, you need to treat the spiritual with reverence. Worshipping in the forests or around mountains, away from the distractions and temptations of the world helps one's soul connect with the divine. I have to place my Neighbourhoods away from mines and Aerodromes because my people need some quiet, away from pollutants. I'll even delay my victory because I'm not yet done with building up my Civilization. I find stopping the AI in the lategame quite challenging playing this way.

If you want to play optimally, I don't think there's a game in the world (other than multiplayers and those that require a lot of RNG) that can make it difficult for you

9. glider1

glider1 Deity

Use Tough AI mod. Point is to balance unit losses of human<->AI as 1:1 ratio on average which the mod can achieve.
    Play Civ6 when you are vegged out,
    play VP Civ5 when alert and concentrated.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  10. Pfeffersack

Pfeffersack Deity

And I always thought I would be the only one doing these things in Civ instead of rushing the fastest possible win :lol::thumbsup:

Leah and Rachael likes this.