How to play on Earth map with all correct locations in 30sec

Originally posted by DubTee1480
This isn't really a "problem" but I'm having to manually enter the city names each time I create a new city. It defaults to the capitol name. I'm not THAT lazy, but was just wondering if this was normal. Thaaaanks.
-W.T.

Only thing I can think of is that you don't have a city by that name, e.g. if your playing England then the game will keep suggesting London until you call one of your cities by that name. So if your playing England but don't want a city called London then the game will forever suggest the name London.

This is how Civ3 works, it's not part of the Map/Mod

Well, it's freeware... so I'm not complaining. Bundled with the Read Me is a list of cities for each civ, you can print it out and look at it everytime you create a new city. Idk about the leader thing, I've played a few games w/o using Marla's world (but never finished b/c of time and new patches coming out) and I have til yet to get a leader. It'd be nice to learn a little strategy using armies, but.... Anyway, Marla's World is awesome I can live with typing a city name in each time :goodjob:

Vonotar: I was playing Germany, but I used Berlin the first time it suggested to and kinda winged it naming Leipzig and Hamburg (from memory) but even though I had a city named Berlin, it persisted in suggesting that one. idk, I'll survive though....

When playing with germany i had the same naming cities problem, however while playing japan i did not. In fact, i've built so many cities that it's regurgitating my old cities except throwing "new" in front of them (eg. New Kyoto), I also have a "Neo" Kyoto. So i'm wondering if it's maybe just a problem with some civ's (eg. Germany) and not others (eg. Japan), or if it just works randomly. It would be interesting to see what others have found.

OK so i just downloaded the zip, but i'm unsure what chaotic forces i will unleash when i run the EXE.

Do i just run it in my CIV3 directory? (no readme attached)

Also, what exactly does this exe do? I'd hate having to unassemble and uncompile it.

Thanks Marla it worked really well! I'm no longer bothered by haveing annoying starting locations of other civs like japan in rome and egypt were the u.s. is. Thanks again.

Okay - this is wierd.

When I try to use the correct starting positions exe's, they dont work. Both the small exe and Civ3edit give me some type of "invalid file" or "wrong file type" message.

It is saying that my sav files are not sav files! WTH?

I am running Windows XP, and am using the NT style file format.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

:confused:

It just doesnt work. i get a pop up box with nothing in it and the "ok" button. the title bar says "Invalid". The "FIXED" file is 0 bytes large... I am running off of 1.21 patch on an XP based system. any ideas on how to fix it so I can place the Civs in the right places?

Thanks
Myke

I don't know if you're even checking this thread anymore, because it is rather old, but when I try to use this program, it gives me the FIXED.SAV file. But when I try to load that file it just gives me an error message. Any idea what I may be doing wrong?

Originally posted by Myke5161
:confused:

It just doesnt work. i get a pop up box with nothing in it and the "ok" button. the title bar says "Invalid". The "FIXED" file is 0 bytes large... I am running off of 1.21 patch on an XP based system. any ideas on how to fix it so I can place the Civs in the right places?

Thanks
Myke

This is a Known Issue Due to 1.21f Patch

-- Issue Description:

This issue is due to a change in the way CivIII saves files, which has taken place in the 1.21f Patch. Save files are now compressed, so that where as they may have taken between 3 and 5 megs to store before, they now only take a few hundred K. the prevcious version of CPT (which is a tool used in correcting the start positions) did not have to un compress the files, and as such no longer works.

-- Issue Fix:

There is a new copy of CPT (CPT 1.05), it is located here:

CPT 1.05

After Downloading, extract the file into the following directory:

Civilization III\Modpacks\common\tools\cpt

It will replace the existing file. You will now be able to use the Marlas maps, and have the correct starting positions by following her instructions! :-D

Enjoy!

Marla's map makes for one real good game. I add some horses to the american continent though just to make things more even.

Will this work with v1.21? And why is the GOTM always for 1.17, too? I like the newest patch

Originally posted by 1297ad
Will this work with v1.21? And why is the GOTM always for 1.17, too? I like the newest patch

Yes, the problem is that the 1.21f patch changed the way the saved games were stored, so that they are compressed now, the jump was from the 1.17f patch directly to the 1.21f patch, and the previous patch was 1.13f. do to this, and sinc ethe people above mentioned that they were useing the 1.21f patch I neglected to mention the patch number. I will re-edit the above message to include it.

Originally posted by Sparhawk
Marla's map makes for one real good game. I add some horses to the american continent though just to make things more even.

I was thinking about this too Marla, and it would be right to assume that you should not, from YOUR perspective, that the last of the equine Native to North and South America dissapeared roughly 20,000 years before the start of the game, however, America did not exist in 1600 AD, let alone 3000BC, yet we play with that as a civ (kind of silly I admit, but there would never be a way to correctly have a civil war witht he english leaving americans in a meaningful way in the game (though they tried civil wars in civ2 the concept was hardly workable). But I digress.

In any case, I was thinking that it might make sence to include equines since they were there at one point and simply died out due to Ice ages, and now, today roam freely and wildly on the plains of America, as they once did 20,000 years ago.

What really irked me, was that COAL, one of the most abundant reasources on earth which also appears in-game, is highly under represented in the map you have created. even today it is still our most plentiful fossile fuel, and nearly every location on earth has a source of coal near to it. Eroup and america especially have many coal deposits.

Another I feal, inadequately scattered reasource is Oil.

I know part of the problem in Civ3 is that Oil only occurs in the Desert tiles, and that this is far from the truth in real life; however, Central and south america are not a wholely Oil devoid area, in fact many of the dictatorships there support themselves on Oil, it is most of the Nationalised comerce comes from such. We as americnas refuse to trade with them for political reasons, but the Oil exists none the less. Perhaps some areas of Oil that are also being mined at sea coudl be represented on land near-by as well.

I know you took the time to try and spread the reasources to increase the trade between nations, but I question whether these two major reasorces were adiquately proportioned to their distribution on earth. that of course, is my two cents, and you may take it or leave it.

Aah the famous marla, i think i have some other world maps on you. very nice very nice indeed. this may seem like a stupid question, but im too lazy to read through whole thread....clarify this. what vers patch is your new world map with all the civs in correct place, and what is civbreedtool? it puzzled me

Great map. I ran into few probs tho. The first time the starting point for me (America) was correct and then I clicked 'correct start locations' and did the whole save thing. When i loaded 'Fixed.Sav' it started me off in a wrong location (Japan). I then played the Fix.Sav file which was correct and played it until my CPU (windows millenium edition) made an error. I've tried again about 10 times and it did the same thing. Whats wrong and what should I do since I really want to start the game as realiistic as possible (with your map). Thanks.

Top Bottom