How to render archers more attractive?

true...
but I've not yet found a mechanisme for the "outfield" bonus.
the CD works only in defense.
and I would like a something for attacking... especially for active defense.
withdrawal and small collateral may be enough... but may be not ... a general 10%str ; or +20%attack str ?

My ideal would be a wall defender promotion that activates on forts/castle or walled cities and that would give +1str. (so you get the +1 for attacking neighoring tiles).

In the end I'm driven by a book I read that concluded with :in the middle ages, between 2 armies , the one that won was the one with the most longbows. and when the same number of longbows, the one with the most welsh longbowmen won.

i have a new question:

I'm wondering about the ljos' dexterous promotion:

any idea on how to make dexterous give a free mobility 1 promotion
I don't want to give +1mvt that would allow a further mobilty 1

alternatively I could have dexterous give +1mvt, but forbid/excludes mobility 1... (but Xbows or marksmen coming from the melee/assassin line could get both the mobility1 and the +1 of dexterous.

well I have 3 ideas for dexterous:
-+1att str (actual)
or two items of the following list:
-+1xp/combat
-+10%withdrawal
-+free mobility (less likely as it would only help them in unforested flatlands which would be un-thematic
-+1 collateral target +5%colldamage +10%colllimit.

I've got a soft spot for:
-+1xp/combat + 10%withdrawal
and
-+10%withdrawal +1 collateral target +5%colldamage +10%colllimit.

what do you guys think ?

anyone knows how to make "OR" prerequists for promotion ?
like : blitz: need drill II and (drillIV OR combatIII) ?

preferrably in xml :D

edit : found it :D
sorry

again a new question about UNITAI:
how do these work ?
by default I have added : unitai_attack and unitai_counter to all archery units.
however I'm not sure what it does...
and further I'm wondering if counter or attack wouldn't be better as DefaultUnitAI instead of the former unitai_city_defense.

-as I added -25%City attack to X-bow and Flurries, would you think that unitai_attack_city should still stay with those units ? (they are strong enough -10 to 14 str- that even with -25CA they can do much damage attacking cities..., especialy if flaming arrows are added..)

-last : as I added +35%City Attack to firearrows, an archer with firearrows is 5str +10%CA +15%withdrawal : better than current bronze axe...
should I give access to unitai_attack_city to archery units ?
if not, is there a way to enable this unitai mode when/if the flaming arrows promotion is enabled ?

i have a new question:

I'm wondering about the ljos' dexterous promotion:

any idea on how to make dexterous give a free mobility 1 promotion
I don't want to give +1mvt that would allow a further mobilty 1
Why don't you just change the promotion given by the dexterous trait to mobility 1? (it's
in Civilizations/Civ4TraitInfos.xml if you don't already know)

you are so smart.
and no, I didn't knew :D I was wondering how the dextrous promotion was applied to ljos archers :D

Yes, Dex trait can grant archers either Dextrous promo (+1 attack), or Mobility 1, or both ;)

and the Dextrous promo can be modified to work like blitz as well, if deemed necessary

that last point I knew .. :D
but the "go to the trait to define the auto-acquire promo".. i kinda... forgot :/

Top Bottom