How to speed up production?

Status
Not open for further replies.

srad

King
1) Given that a city has started to build e. g. a district (there are already some turns put into it), is there a way to finish it faster then by working the cog tiles?

• Is there a mechanism like slavery in Civ4 so that I can sacrifice population?
  • Can I finish it with gold or whatever resource?
I know I can buy buildings and units but how to finish something earlier that was already started?

2) What is the benifit of a food rich city early / mid game (assuming there are almost no cog tiles)?
  • Can I somehow convert the food into production / science / gold?
  • I know that each pop gives a bit of science but that is really not that much, or?

1) Chopping down forest and jungle will give you immediate production yields (jungle gives you less production than forest, but also gives you food). You can also harvest stone for immediate production as well. Using trade routes can also increase the amount of production available in a city.

2) Food rich cities allow you to build more districts (because they're restricted by population levels), and as you said, each population gives you additional science. I can't remember the exact amount but it's somewhere around .5 to less-than-one. Food rich cities should indirectly give you more production, more population means more citizens to work tiles. If the city is exceptionally short on production, see the above.

Last edited:
For immediate boosts there's really only chopping and harvesting. For wonders there's certain great engineers that can boost production. If you're China you can use builders to boost production on Ancient and Classical era wonders. Other than that, there's no other ways to immediately increase production.

The other ways to produce more production is to:
- Use the toggles when selecting a city to specify which resource to concentrate on
- Manually allocate citizens to production tiles
- Use trade routes to increase production
- Build buildings that give extra production
- Build factories in neighbouring cities to get increased production in nearby cities (up to 6 tiles away)
- Become allies with production city-states
- Build tile improvements (mines, quarries, lumber mills) and work them

That's all I can think of for now.

I have the problem that I feel I have too little production generally, so from about Medieval/Renaissance it's getting loong to get districts up (25-30 turns and more on epic).

So far I didn't beeline for Apprenticeship to get the industrial zone and therefore they come in very late (at least that's how it feels to me). . .

I tend to have far less districts than the AI although I'm seldom building wonders and being low on units in comparison , too (played King and Emperor so far . . . ) .
Any advice at how to adept my gameplay?

Traders, send from the city building the district to whichever city gives you the most production. In addition to the aforementioned chopping and harvesting
Using them for that already. Production slows down significantly after classics for me. Maybe it works as intended , I don't know . . . :confused:

Be sure all hills you can work are mined. Since builders are quite expensive, I suspect that many Civ VI do not build enough of them and leave too many tiles unimproved.

I also find district building slow, but I haven't built any industrial zones yet and that is the why other districts are built so slowly.

Industrial City States could be a good source of Hammers, but only the capital gets a Hammer boost until Industrial Zones are completed. Obviously Industrial CSs are no help in building Industrial Zones, except the one in the capital.

Thank you!
So for an immediate boots there is only chopping? No other mechanic?

There aren't many options.

If you are playing Aztecs, then you can use Builder charges to finish districts.

People have already mentioned chopping/harvesting forests/jungles/resources.

There is also production overflow. There are 3 Great Engineers who can add hammers to a Wonder in progress. If you add excess hammers to a cheap Wonder, then the excess hammers can be applied to a different item, such as a district (or even better Space Project). I often keep these guys in reserve for a Science Victory.

If you want to be cheesy, then you may also be able to utilize +100% production cards with cheap units, resulting in production overflow. (This was also possible to some extent in Civ V). It works better on Quicker speeds (versus Epic/Marathon) and ideally if you leave some technologies unresearched so you can continue to produce primitive (but cheap) units.

The Governor Reyna has a promotion that allows you to buy districts with gold

Moderator Action: This is why necroing old threads is discouraged. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom