How to spread religion in FFH?

Syphax

Chieftain
I got Civ4 for FFH and really like the great differences in civilizations and religions. I've searched the forum and haven't found an answer to my question of how exactly religion spreads by itself in FFH and different methods to encourage or discourage it.

A specific question is whether it can be spread to opponents at war other than by conquering cities.

Thanks very much for your help.

Syphax

I got Civ4 for FFH and really like the great differences in civilizations and religions. I've searched the forum and haven't found an answer to my question of how exactly religion spreads by itself in FFH and different methods to encourage or discourage it.

A specific question is whether it can be spread to opponents at war other than by conquering cities.

Thanks very much for your help.

Syphax

Same way you spread them in normal civ 4 - with the disciple units for each religion. The city will require you to have a temple of that religion first.

Council of Esus does not follow the above - instead, it is spread by having a unit with it pay gold when it's in a city to spread it there.

As for spreading to opponents you are at war with, you would have to hope it spreads there by itself. If you were at peace then you could use disciple units (assuming you have open borders.)

Also note that the Illians and Grigori can not have a state religion, nor can they build units to spread them. This is due to them having the agnostic trait.

Building the religion's holy building is supposed to aid in spreading the religion as well.

Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

For example, it may spread to a city far away on the map, but not spread 'automatically' to one of your own cities right next to the one with the holy building in it. :confused:

You can also use tier 2 priests that can be consumed to not only spread the religion with a 100% success rate but also build their religions holy temple at the same time, of course you also need Priesthood to do this, but I find Priests are exceptionally useful early and provide a solid defense as strength 5 units that auto level with free xp, making a decent defensive tie over til longbows. I use this method early/mid game while still in God King to rush temples everywhere, using hammers from capital in other less developed cities. Especially if it's RoK so I can keep running God King that much longer.

Thanks for the replies. The priest strategy sounds interesting internally - but it sounds like there's no proactive way to spread it to other players without open borders. The reason I'd like to do it is both trying to avoid the different religion penalties as well as the role play aspect.

Well, if your Esus and get Gibbon Goetia, he can explore rival territory. Which means as long as you have the money, he can spread Esus to every city on the map that your not at war with. I think everything else needs open boarders though for any organized effort.

Would putting disciple units inside the Trojan Horse work? Never tried it since I'm usually trade for deception late and am already happy (or resigned) about the world religious situation by that point.

Would putting disciple units inside the Trojan Horse work? Never tried it since I'm usually trade for deception late and am already happy (or resigned) about the world religious situation by that point.

Not sure, but the Trojan Horse got deleted as a unit in one of the patches.

You can spread Council of Esus with Ghosts (Sidar Assassins) to any city whether you are at war with them or not (Provided the ghost has the religion itself in order to spread it in the first place.)

At peace? Just walk into their cities and spread it, no need for open borders.
At war? Do not move directly into the city but rather move in such a way so as to pass it by (and end movement their) then spead, or assassinate a unit then move in afterwards (doesn't work with blitz)

Now all they need is an effective unit to inquisition and they have religious victory set.

You can spread Council of Esus with Ghosts (Sidar Assassins) to any city whether you are at war with them or not (Provided the ghost has the religion itself in order to spread it in the first place.)

At peace? Just walk into their cities and spread it, no need for open borders.
At war? Do not move directly into the city but rather move in such a way so as to pass it by (and end movement their) then spead, or assassinate a unit then move in afterwards (doesn't work with blitz)

Now all they need is an effective unit to inquisition and they have religious victory set.

That's interesting. I haven't played the Sidar in awhile. Are you saying if at peace they don't need HN status to go into a civ without an open borders agreement? If they need HN, I don't think HN units can go into any cities. Ghosts can go into civs without open borders and not HN?

If at war, I don't understand when the icon to spread the religion would be available to use. Wouldn't you have to be IN the city itself to see that icon?

I guess I'll have to try the Sidar myself and this strategy - still haven't gotten the trophy for religious victory. ;)

If you can't enter the opponent's territory, you can always settle on the border and build a Temple. Your religion may spread to a nearby city. It might even flip and become part of their empire.

How do you make a custom leader???

Top Bottom