1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

How to start modding in Civ6?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Creation & Customization' started by gelodgreat, Oct 27, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gelodgreat

gelodgreat Prince

Can anyone share their knowledge on modding in Civ6? I really want to learn how to mod the game i know how to edit xml and sql. Thanks :D

2. HellzYeahh

HellzYeahh Chieftain

You need basic to moderate programming skills. Also not just XML and SQL, It is Lua too, Lua it is core programming for AI and UI. XML is the skeleton, SQL the memory, and LUA is the thinking. DLL (C++) is like the atoms makes us.

3. Angryr

Angryr Chieftain

Doesn't hurt to understand databases as the game stores all its information in SQLlite database files. The data mostly being the XML files and the SQL being most the Schema of the database (I believe they both can do data and schema though; at least in Civ5 they could).

4. gelodgreat

gelodgreat Prince

what programming language does lua use? i know c# , vb , sql

edit. lua is a pl. my bad

5. Angryr

Angryr Chieftain

Lua is a scripting language. Lua is used for things like map generation, user interface actions, etc.

gelodgreat likes this.
  6. gelodgreat

gelodgreat Prince

what can i do with lua programming in civ games? i really want to be a good modder for this game :D

7. Angryr

Angryr Chieftain

Not trying to be a jerk or anything, but realistically to get anything done you're going to want to self-learn by trial. A lot.

Start by taking a look at the Civ gameplay assets folder. <Install Directory>/Base/Assets/Gameplay/Data/
    There you will find many game functionality things like Civilizations, Leaders, etc.
    Learn what they are and how they work by reading them (XML is a pretty readable language, most of it will be self explanatory). If you don't know what something is, try and figure it out by changing it (backup the file before you change it; you will need to restart the game after changing those files) and seeing what that does.
    Ask on the forums once you're stumped. Once you get a little more comfortable with that take a look at the .modinfo guide in the tutorial section and try to make a change via a mod instead of editing the core files.
    Good luck.
    (Note: This is what we're all doing, which is why I suggest it. The more time you invest doing this, the more you will know).

8. astog

astog Warlord

In many ways Lua mods are similar to Civ 5. So a good starting resource would be this thread. Also make a sample mod that tweaks something small like the Map pins, and see how changing a few things affects the game. It is all about experimentation and not being afraid of making mistakes.

9. gelodgreat

gelodgreat Prince

thanks that's also what im doing right now :D