How would you design Egypt in Civ7?

Alexandria became one of the largest cities in the Mediterranean world largely because of trade - it was the entrepot for Egypt, Nubia, and the Indian trade coming across the ocean by Monsoon wind and up the Red Sea, so it would almost make sense to have the Pharos be a Wonder peculiar to Alexandria - making it a Commercial/Trade powerhouse in every game.

This would, of course, be an entirely new way of treating World Wonders, but I think worth considering. By contrast, the Mouseion, or Great Library, could be built anywhere and attract 'natural philosophers'/scientific thinkers for a Scientific Bonus. We could possibly categorize most of the World Wonders in the game as either General/Build Anywhere or Specific/Bonus only in very specific locations - another possible barrier to the infamous Wonder Races that spawn so many complaints . . .
Since not everyone plays TSL or even real Earth maps, how would that work on a generated map?

Alexandria became one of the largest cities in the Mediterranean world largely because of trade - it was the entrepot for Egypt, Nubia, and the Indian trade coming across the ocean by Monsoon wind and up the Red Sea, so it would almost make sense to have the Pharos be a Wonder peculiar to Alexandria - making it a Commercial/Trade powerhouse in every game.

This would, of course, be an entirely new way of treating World Wonders, but I think worth considering. By contrast, the Mouseion, or Great Library, could be built anywhere and attract 'natural philosophers'/scientific thinkers for a Scientific Bonus. We could possibly categorize most of the World Wonders in the game as either General/Build Anywhere or Specific/Bonus only in very specific locations - another possible barrier to the infamous Wonder Races that spawn so many complaints . . .
Considering the regular Harbor district both the Pharos and the Mouseion could be on the same tile for the Portus Magnus wonder that produce a lot of culture and science from all the maritime trade rutes linked to the city.

And you know who is also Magnus :mischief: ? Yes Alexander :D !!!

Since not everyone plays TSL or even real Earth maps, how would that work on a generated map?

Alexandria upon building a Harbor - thus requiring a Coastal or Near-Coastal placement - you can build the Pharos in place of a regular Lighthouse (because who needs a second Lighthouse when you've got the Pharos?). Pharos allows 2 extra sea trade routes and increases the yields from all sea trade routes.
So, Alexandria WILL be a major trade center, unless you've built in on an Arctic Lake . . .

This, of curse, assumes that everybody slavishly accepts my concept that Wonders should vary in size and placement, so that some, like the Pharos, are essentially Buildings, others like the Mouseion are Districts (because it included the Library, study rooms, lecture halls, and dwellings for in-resident scholars), and still others are Improvements out in the country (Stonehenge, the Pythian Oracle at Delphi)

So, Alexandria WILL be a major trade center, unless you've built in on an Arctic Lake . . .
The AI accepts your challenge. :mischief:

This, of curse, assumes that everybody slavishly accepts my concept that Wonders should vary in size and placement, so that some, like the Pharos, are essentially Buildings, others like the Mouseion are Districts (because it included the Library, study rooms, lecture halls, and dwellings for in-resident scholars), and still others are Improvements out in the country (Stonehenge, the Pythian Oracle at Delphi)
I do like this idea, so long as even "building" Wonders are big, bold, and eye catching.

The AI accepts your challenge. :mischief:

I do like this idea, so long as even "building" Wonders are big, bold, and eye catching.

My concept increases the Building Slots in each District to 6, but some "Buildings", like the Palace, a Factory, a Wonder, etc can take more than one Slot: that and the fact that they usually were the only towering structures until the late Industrial Era means Wonders should stand out nicely even from the middle of a sprawling city.

Top Bottom