Humankind - Brazilians discussion thread

So we come to one of my favorite pick of this era. Their whole design is refreshing and subtile from my point of view !
Agrarian was a sure pick as Aesthete by the way.
The artwork with a landscapes of coffee farms, the Brazilian poeple, and a typical brazilian city (from the inland ?) in background are an interesting take.

I didn't expectect the quarter honestly. But I got the chance to learn about this choice from Brazilian pals of the community. The contribution of all the great research groups in agriculture are really important in the rise and renowned of Brazil in this technical field of knowledge
The unit is really appealing to me, this commando with a face-paint gives me some ambush vibe, really cool unit artwork.

I hope I am not alone to love this interesting take, which change from our traditionnal representation of soccer and carnival :mischief:

Beautiful! Love this design

Agronomy Lab really surprised me. Finally something that is not Carnival, thanks God.

I like how Amplitude is very into offering interesting takes on Contemporary cultures every time.

I wonder what it will give, food + science from farmers or scientists?

I'm thinking of food and science from farmers, most likely.

Antonio Fagundes, coffee and Embrapa, amplitude realy dig deep to came with this faction. Well done

Yeah, o Rei do gado (King of cattle) was the first thing that came to my mind when I saw the art of the card.

I like that the emblematics of the modern era are less "pop culture" and more "hands-on". Thank god for no carnival, football or evangelical churches.

The culture card is great, although I have to agree that it also could be Colombian on first look. Somehow, I'd expect a flatter area and the sea in the background, but of course the hilly coffee regions of Southern Brazil totally exist. I do feel that at least one of the workers in the background should be dark-skinned though. That's a big part of Brazils story.

These presentations though only give us so much, the legacy trait seems to be the core of the cultures - and I wonder whether it will have anything to do with the deforestation of the Amazon - or whether it will be something less controversial. :)

PS: And now I hope to have some time to look into the OpenDev, these windows are always over way too fast for me.

It is great to see realistic Brazil after civ6 shallow stereotype RAINFOREST - CARNIVAL - FOOTBALL.

Gives me hope that Scotland wouldn't be LIBERTY - GOLF COURSE, and Canada wouldn't be PEACE - MOUNTIES - COLD - HOCKEY.

Moderator Action: This forum concerns Humankind, not Civ6. Please stay on topic. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
It is great to see realistic Brazil after civ6 shallow stereotype RAINFOREST - CARNIVAL - FOOTBALL.

Gives me hope that Scotland wouldn't be LIBERTY - GOLF COURSE, and Canada wouldn't be PEACE - MOUNTIES - COLD - HOCKEY.
If I'm not wrong, we have not yet seen how their units or cities look like. Humankind do seems maybe more willing to give generic stuff and abilities to each culture, civilization maybe try too hard to make the civs, especially the more modern ones distinct which do end up looking as caricatures with things like tundra farms for Canada, rainforest brazil and so on.

I'm thinking of food and science from farmers, most likely.
That would be much like Babylon astronomy house, but scientist replaced by farmers.

Last edited:
Has there been any Jungles in the Open Dev maps? Humankind so far has given off a very Mediterranian vibe, I'm not sure if I've seen any tropical or colder pinewood type biomes in the game?

Yes, in the first one there were jungles with red earth, and tundra with pinewoods.

Yes, in the first one there were jungles with red earth, and tundra with pinewoods.

In the Victor Open Dev map there are some tundra/patches of woods areas, but you have to look for them. Haven't seen any 'tropical' areas, but haven't gotten all the way to the southern edge of the map yet, either. The map as a whole seems to be representing a 'northern hemisphere' rather than a 'pole-to-pole' the way Civ does.

In the Victor Open Dev map there are some tundra/patches of woods areas, but you have to look for them. Haven't seen any 'tropical' areas, but haven't gotten all the way to the southern edge of the map yet, either. The map as a whole seems to be representing a 'northern hemisphere' rather than a 'pole-to-pole' the way Civ does.

For Victor, some islands in the middle sea (that is, the sea between the 1st and the 2nd continent) are filled with rainforests. The largest of these rainforest islands even conveniently has a Coffee luxury in the middle.

Other than that, overall, the Victor map has a lot more hot and dry regions than Lucy or Stadia. Huge patches of barren stone fields and even large deserts can be seen across all 3 main continents, and settling on or next to river become a must.

For Victor, some islands in the middle sea (that is, the sea between the 1st and the 2nd continent) are filled with rainforests. The largest of these rainforest islands even conveniently has a Coffee luxury in the middle.

Other than that, overall, the Victor map has a lot more hot and dry regions than Lucy or Stadia. Huge patches of barren stone fields and even large deserts can be seen across all 3 main continents, and settling on or next to river become a must.

Put another way, there are some regions on the map that beg to be attached to another region really quickly, because finding enough food in them to build a decent-sized city is a real challenge.

Put another way, there are some regions on the map that beg to be attached to another region really quickly, because finding enough food in them to build a decent-sized city is a real challenge.

I usually went for Harappans for extra food and extra river tiles, then Carthaginians to open up coastal developments. With these two, even barren stone fields can be turned into farmlands supported by a considerable gold income from afar. "Adapt to environment" really shines in this game.

These presentations though only give us so much, the legacy trait seems to be the core of the cultures - and I wonder whether it will have anything to do with the deforestation of the Amazon - or whether it will be something less controversial. :)

They really haven't been pulling punches with the Contemporary culture designs - not that any are hurtful, just that they are honest. America is a military superpower that can perform anonymous (frequently meaning illegal) airstrikes, Australia has mining despite the environmental implications, Brazil has Agrarian despite the expansion of cattle pastures and soy farms being the driving force behind the deforestation of the Amazon. The legacy trait is tentatively called "Lungs of the Planet" according to the wiki, so it will likely be focused more on how Brazil considerably slowed deforestation in the early 2000s up until recent years, but even so the struggle to control deforestation (and the recent reversals of regulations preventing it) are because of the expansion of farming lands at the cost of the rainforest in Brazil.

Australia's mining and Brazil's possible deforesting-for-farmland could also show the implications of "eXpand and eXploit" gameplay on the environment. I don't think it would be as in depth as Gathering Storm in Civ6, but there could definitely be events about environmental impact and people protesting because of it in the Contemporary Era. Do you build more farms as Brazil if it means deforesting? Do you keep using oil and coal if it contributes to carbon emissions? Not sure how much they will engage with environmental questions, whether it would be a subtle "people are protesting pollution" or some super dramatic Civ6-style "your coastal cities are flooded" but will be interesting to see.

Top Bottom