Humankind Eras Video

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator

well we can add Persians and Romans to the mix

A few bits of new info I can glean from this:
1) Looks like it might have a pop system similar to Endless Legend's. Babylon's EQ gives +1 food from "researchers", which presumably is a pop that has been given to producing science.
2) Emblematic Units replace units that are already in the game.
3) Fame system tied to 7 objectives per era that each appear to have 3 "tiers" or "steps" to them, which each presumably provide one fame star (the 3 stars above the objective)
4) Legacy traits - I think this has been talked about before, but interesting to see Babylon's legacy trait in action. Gives a science bonus from camps, boroughs and city centre. I assume "borough" is a specific type of quarter rather than a generic term, since they already use the word "quarter". The use of the word "camps" is also interesting, and I would assume this is a similar usage to civ 5/6 as a camp for hunting animals.

2) Emblematic Units replace units that are already in the game.

*Exceptions Apply

4) Legacy traits - I think this has been talked about before, but interesting to see Babylon's legacy trait in action. Gives a science bonus from camps, boroughs and city centre. I assume "borough" is a specific type of quarter rather than a generic term, since they already use the word "quarter". The use of the word "camps" is also interesting, and I would assume this is a similar usage to civ 5/6 as a camp for hunting animals.

Keep in mind that shot is only what is known as a "Mockup," a design draft for what it could look like, rather than the final product. You are likely to find a lot of Placeholder terms and values on there.

This looks great! So happy for all this info that makes me grasp much more how the game might work.

Also very happy to see influence will be a resource again.

also: so many new units and at least 3 new cultures...

Last edited:
I spotted the Eiffel Tower .... and maybe the Pantheon

Some quick screens:

Sweden confirmed
Spoiler :
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-03 um 16.34.01.jpg

City Centers: Ming (?), Teutons (better as before), unknown (medieval French or German?), unknown (Spanish?)
Spoiler :
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-03 um 16.37.08.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-03 um 16.36.56.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-03 um 16.35.54.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-03 um 16.34.44.jpg

World Wonders: Tour Eiffel (with surroundings and another possible french City Center in the background), Angkor Wat with a Baray EQ of the Khmer
Spoiler :
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-03 um 16.38.26.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-03 um 16.32.05.jpg

Bonus: emblematic mosque
Spoiler :
Bildschirmfoto 2020-04-03 um 16.37.45.jpg

Last edited:
At 3:27, the district on the left behind the Eiffel Tower looks like the Palais Garnier (Paris Opera House). While I suppose it could be a wonder, I think - based on the size of its appearance - it might be a Emblematic Quarter perhaps?
Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 11.00.53 AM.png

At 3:27, the district on the left behind the Eiffel Tower looks like the Palais Garnier (Paris Opera House). While I suppose it could be a wonder, I think - based on the size of its appearance - it might be a Emblematic Quarter perhaps?
View attachment 550805
We‘ve seen it before. The layout on the tile makes me think it is the industrial era version of a happiness/approval focused quarter.

Reactions: j51
Two obelisks/monuments in the first screen, which share the same layout. Maybe it's a non-emblematic quarter?

Spoiler Screenshots :
upload_2020-4-3_13-4-55.png
upload_2020-4-3_13-5-2.png

@Catoninetales_Amplitude

Are legacy traits per Civilization or per type (scientist/militarist share the same "tree"). These legacies increase just by going through eras or you have to take a Civ with the same focus.

What I mean is this. You take Babylon, which is scientific, so to get the classic legacy bonus you need to take another scientific ones. Kinda like the civ focus being separate trees that advance depending on which civs you took.

Every new tidbit of information we get makes me even more excited to play the game! And even though it's likely only an early concept, I'm loving how the UI looks!

From the blog post:
"While many great discoveries and projects contribute to your Fame, the main source of Fame are the Era Stars.
In each era, you can earn Era Stars in seven categories related to your economic development, military, and expansion. You may earn up to three stars in each category by reaching increasingly difficult goals scaling with how well you were doing in that category in previous eras. Once you have earned 7 Era Stars, you are ready to transition to a different Culture or transcend with your current Culture. You do not have to make this decision immediately, but as any Culture can be present only once in game, delaying for too long may limit your choices."

I'm happy to see confirmation that each of the main resources/mechanics of the game can be utilised to gain Era Stars and earn Fame. I assume these seven categories will be economy, military, expansion, culture, science, building/production, and food/population. This is essentially Humankind's version of Civ's victory types, although in this case, all categories contribute towards the same end goal. I think this is a good way of doing things because it means you can freely change the direction of your civilisation at any time during the course of the game, instead of being forced to commit to a certain path. In fact, the game appears to actively encourage the exploration of each aspect, through the increasing difficulty that the blog mentions.

I was about to make the complaint that using Era Stars as a requirement to progress would force the player to rush objectives and leave more passive players in the dust, but historically this would be true. All the surviving and remembered cultures of the world did not achieve their status through leading peaceful and unremarkable lives, and it makes total sense that cultures that do not push the boundaries of what is possible would not progress and evolve.

"A Gameplay Orientation, like Agrarian, Aesthete, or Militarist, giving you access to a powerful ability related to this Orientation, as well as increased Fame gains for the related Era Star."

I don't believe we've seen any mention of this "powerful ability" before. I wonder if it will be unique to each culture or era, or if it remains consistent throughout the game.

Here is the blog post for anyone who hasn't already read it: https://www.games2gether.com/amplit...d-feature-focus-04-shaping-your-legacy?page=1

Are legacy traits per Civilization or per type (scientist/militarist share the same "tree"). These legacies increase just by going through eras or you have to take a Civ with the same focus.

I don't believe we've seen any mention of this "powerful ability" before. I wonder if it will be unique to each culture or era, or if it remains consistent throughout the game.

The abilities are by Gameplay Orientation, the Legacy Traits are by Culture.
So for example, in the Ancient Era, the Hittites and Myceneans will share the same Militarist ability (which they share with the Huns, and every other Militarist), but they have unique legacy traits. The same is true, for example, for the Olmec and the Zhou, or the Nubians, the Phoenicians, and the Aksumites.
I would have loved to show off some of these abilities and more Legacy traits, but the UI is not ready to be shown yet (hence the mockup).

Also, for clarity: There is no "tree" of Legacy traits or leveling up of them. They are self-contained bonuses you gain when you pick a culture, but if you "transcend" you get a bonus to future Fame gains instead of a new Legacy Trait. So you don't have to take Babylon to take a Classical Era Scientific bonus, you merely have to pick the Greeks.

Also, for clarity: There is no "tree" of Legacy traits or leveling up of them. They are self-contained bonuses you gain when you pick a culture, but if you "transcend" you get a bonus to future Fame gains instead of a new Legacy Trait. So you don't have to take Babylon to take a Classical Era Scientific bonus, you merely have to pick the Greeks.
Realistically, how viable do you think it would be to transcend an Ancient Era culture all the way to the Contemporary Era? I worry that a Fame earning bonus alone might not be enough, or is this an intentional decision by the designers to persuade players to mix things up?

Some quick screens:

Sweden confirmed

City Centers: Ming (?), Teutons (better as before), unknown (medieval French or German?), unknown (Spanish?)

World Wonders: Tour Eiffel (with surroundings and another possible french City Center in the background), Angkor Wat with a Baray EQ of the Khmer

Bonus: emblematic mosque

I think (hope!) there may be a castle quarter which accounts for some of these, rather than city centres.

Two obelisks/monuments in the first screen, which share the same layout. Maybe it's a non-emblematic quarter?

The first is an Aksumite stela which is their EQ.

Realistically, how viable do you think it would be to transcend an Ancient Era culture all the way to the Contemporary Era? I worry that a Fame earning bonus alone might not be enough, or is this an intentional decision by the designers to persuade players to mix things up?

Yeah, even for just one era losing not only the emblematic quarter and unit but also the Legacy traits. That fame bonus should definitely be worth it.

"A Gameplay Orientation, like Agrarian, Aesthete, or Militarist, giving you access to a powerful ability related to this Orientation, as well as increased Fame gains for the related Era Star."
@Catoninetales_Amplitude Will this gameplay orientation ability be in effect as long as you're in the culture? Or does it fade away once you go into another culture in the next era?

good catch

Top Bottom