Humankind Game by Amplitude

The real question is whether a map with several hundred regions suitable for planting cities with all the terrain graphics and animations we've seen so far in Humankind (flowing waterfalls, animals roaming the prairies, birds in the air, crowds of people walking through the cities, etc) could be played on any average or even above-average computer.
Yep, this is a big fear of mine. And I'm willing to bet that the later eras of Humankind won't play fluently at all on an average PC, which would suck. I wish games would go back to the gorgeous graphics of Civilization III.

Yep, this is a big fear of mine. And I'm willing to bet that the later eras of Humankind won't play fluently at all on an average PC, which would suck. I wish games would go back to the gorgeous graphics of Civilization III.

Unfortunately, the motto of the modern Computer/Video Game is "Animations Я Us", so in Civ VI we get animated Improvements all over the map and in Humankind we are going to get (apparently) animations all over the terrain. This does not necessarily make a computer-breaking game. I remember fondly the game Settlers 6 years ago, which should have been the basis for a fantastic Medieval City-Building game but wasn't, which had rabbits hopping through the meadows and deer in the woods and people gossiping and shopping in the streets and markets - so beautiful that I frequently wound up not playing the game but just sitting and watching. - And that was about three computers ago, so far, far below the 'modern' standard of graphics capability for the games.

Depending on how the rendering is done, animations might not really affect the graphics performance of the game at all. Things like scrolling or changing the camera angle require the same amount of processing whether the scene is animated or not. The main solution is to have options to increase or decrease graphics quality.

Several hundred regions? I expect 100 - 125 territories to be the biggest default map size. The game is designed around 10 players (besides obligatory mods) and I presume no City States (in EL minor factions have 1-3 one tile dwellings in a given territory). And then to have on average 10 big territories just for yourself, with no rivals, is approaching 'boring lack of pressure, too spread out players' amount. That's why I have hated one of the most popular civ5 mods ever, that one with super gigantic Earth, a lot of people gave it 5 stars without actually checking how garbage it is to play really underpopulated map.

I never counted the territories and or looked up the numbers, but your guess feels about right. However, there are two factors to keep in mind with the assessment of how much pressure you will feel.
  1. Expanding is a lot easier than in many other 4X games, because any army you have moving around the map can lay claim to a region (and the average movement speed of units feels pretty high to me, allowing you to scout around quickly.). In my experience you start bumping into other players pretty soon.
  2. We do have "City States" in the form of Independent People. I believe it was in the IGN footage had a glimpse of their existence, but we're not yet talking about how they work in detail.

However, I urge you to keep in mind that visually rendering the map is only one aspect that may be affected by larger maps and player numbers.

Several hundred regions? I expect 100 - 125 territories to be the biggest default map size. The game is designed around 10 players (besides obligatory mods) and I presume no City States (in EL minor factions have 1-3 one tile dwellings in a given territory). And then to have on average 10 big territories just for yourself, with no rivals, is approaching 'boring lack of pressure, too spread out players' amount. That's why I have hated one of the most popular civ5 mods ever, that one with super gigantic Earth, a lot of people gave it 5 stars without actually checking how garbage it is to play really underpopulated map.
That civ5 map wasn't made for 10 players, but for 34 or 43.

Or to fight for your survival in Europe in the early game, then still have the possibility to expand your empire on free land oversea in late game.

So, related, and maybe it was already answered, but is a Terra Map planned in Humankind?

I guess that largely depends on when we have a stable map editor, so I don't know.
Just for clarification, it's a script type, not a fixed map, where all civs start on the same continent (ie the "old world") with another empty continent generated (ie the "new world") and accessible only once ocean travel is possible.

@Catoninetales_Amplitude Can you set-up region size in the game creation like in EL?

Just for clarification, it's a script type, not a fixed map, where all civs start on the same continent (ie the "old world") with another empty continent generated (ie the "new world") and accessible only once ocean travel is possible.
Unfortunately I can't answer either of these questions.

Unfortunately I can't answer either of these questions.
There's something similar in Endless Legend.

I guess this means no Inca, and we'll get the Venetians instead of the Italians.

South America seems to be getting the short end of the stick in Humankind's launch....

From reddit:

The Inca Empire was also named Tahuantinsuyu so maybe they will make an appearance

.... can still see them then.

From reddit:

The Inca Empire was also named Tahuantinsuyu so maybe they will make an appearance

.... can still see them then.

There can be three possibilities that I could think of:

1. They will be called Tahuantinsuyu
2. They will do this the same way as the Aztecs and reveal them as the last civ
3. They won't have the Inca for the base game.

Of course there won't be Incas on release at this point. Do you think they would drop Incas in the medieval era without any ancestors for them to grow from, now that we see how important "lineages" seem to be for their culture selection?

You can't symmetrically cover North America, Central America, South America, West Africa, South Africa, East Africa, North Africa, Western Europe, Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East, Central Asia, East Asia, South Asia and South East Asia... In release version of a game, when there are only 10 cultures per era - and regions have very unequal distribution so some get a lot of cultures in the same era.

Inca seem like they could fall into some kind of "South American" content pack to me. Think I've seen that idea floated on these forums before. One for each era perhaps? Norte Chico, Nazca, Inca, Gran Colombia, Argentina, Brazil?

Top Bottom