1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind Game by Amplitude

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by AtlantisAuthor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Yep, this is a big fear of mine. And I'm willing to bet that the later eras of Humankind won't play fluently at all on an average PC, which would suck. I wish games would go back to the gorgeous graphics of Civilization III.

2. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Unfortunately, the motto of the modern Computer/Video Game is "Animations Я Us", so in Civ VI we get animated Improvements all over the map and in Humankind we are going to get (apparently) animations all over the terrain. This does not necessarily make a computer-breaking game. I remember fondly the game Settlers 6 years ago, which should have been the basis for a fantastic Medieval City-Building game but wasn't, which had rabbits hopping through the meadows and deer in the woods and people gossiping and shopping in the streets and markets - so beautiful that I frequently wound up not playing the game but just sitting and watching. - And that was about three computers ago, so far, far below the 'modern' standard of graphics capability for the games.

3. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

Depending on how the rendering is done, animations might not really affect the graphics performance of the game at all. Things like scrolling or changing the camera angle require the same amount of processing whether the scene is animated or not. The main solution is to have options to increase or decrease graphics quality.

Elhoim and CivLuvah like this.
  4. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Warlord

I never counted the territories and or looked up the numbers, but your guess feels about right. However, there are two factors to keep in mind with the assessment of how much pressure you will feel.
    1. Expanding is a lot easier than in many other 4X games, because any army you have moving around the map can lay claim to a region (and the average movement speed of units feels pretty high to me, allowing you to scout around quickly.). In my experience you start bumping into other players pretty soon.
    2. We do have "City States" in the form of Independent People. I believe it was in the IGN footage had a glimpse of their existence, but we're not yet talking about how they work in detail.

However, I urge you to keep in mind that visually rendering the map is only one aspect that may be affected by larger maps and player numbers.

5. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

That civ5 map wasn't made for 10 players, but for 34 or 43.

Or to fight for your survival in Europe in the early game, then still have the possibility to expand your empire on free land oversea in late game.

So, related, and maybe it was already answered, but is a Terra Map planned in Humankind?

6. Catoninetales_Amplitude

I guess that largely depends on when we have a stable map editor, so I don't know.

conorbebe and Kjimmet like this.
  7. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

8. Gedemon

Gedemon Modder Moderator

Just for clarification, it's a script type, not a fixed map, where all civs start on the same continent (ie the "old world") with another empty continent generated (ie the "new world") and accessible only once ocean travel is possible.

9. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Unfortunately I can't answer either of these questions.

Kjimmet, conorbebe and Elhoim like this.
  10. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Finally, the Haudenosaunee instead of the Iroquois.

tedhebert, Zaarin and Guandao like this.
  11. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

conorbebe, Zaarin and Guandao like this.
  12. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

There's something similar in Endless Legend.

13. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

14. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

I guess this means no Inca, and we'll get the Venetians instead of the Italians.

conorbebe likes this.
  15. Guandao

Guandao Rajah of Minyue and Langkasuka

South America seems to be getting the short end of the stick in Humankind's launch....

CivLuvah likes this.
  16. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

From reddit:

The Inca Empire was also named Tahuantinsuyu so maybe they will make an appearance

.... can still see them then.

17. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Emperor

There can be three possibilities that I could think of:

1. They will be called Tahuantinsuyu
    2. They will do this the same way as the Aztecs and reveal them as the last civ
    3. They won't have the Inca for the base game.

18. notNamed

notNamed Chieftain

"Andean cultures in particular are high up on our list of cultures that need to make it into the game post-release, but the decisions are still never easy." - The-Cat-o-Nine-Tales on G2G

Elhoim, conorbebe, Kjimmet and 2 others like this.
  19. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

Of course there won't be Incas on release at this point. Do you think they would drop Incas in the medieval era without any ancestors for them to grow from, now that we see how important "lineages" seem to be for their culture selection?

You can't symmetrically cover North America, Central America, South America, West Africa, South Africa, East Africa, North Africa, Western Europe, Southern Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East, Central Asia, East Asia, South Asia and South East Asia... In release version of a game, when there are only 10 cultures per era - and regions have very unequal distribution so some get a lot of cultures in the same era.

CivLuvah likes this.
  20. danza4x

danza4x Chieftain

Inca seem like they could fall into some kind of "South American" content pack to me. Think I've seen that idea floated on these forums before. One for each era perhaps? Norte Chico, Nazca, Inca, Gran Colombia, Argentina, Brazil?