Humankind Game by Amplitude

I'm just asking myself, why on r/civ? My first reflex was "can they do that?", but obviously they can since reddit isn't Firaxis. And it makes sense for marketing. But I just got a little bit perplexed.

A ton of people is here, a lot of them dreaming of radically different approaches to 4X genre, and many presumably unaware of Humankind or its features. It's a direct offensive - bold, but that's what I would do that as well when trying to 'break a monopoly'. Wait, do I even agree with Amplitude on business strategies?

They rather want and will answer questions along "will there be leaders" or "how many civs are there"..

I have endless faith in reddit communities' ability to not have meaningful discussion and instead focus on shallow things, uninspired humor, and random silliness.

While I can understand the disdain towards reddit (I don't like their moderators), this website can also become an echo chamber at times :rolleyes:

Haudenosaunee have no possible ancient/classical precedessor though, only medieval (Missisipi civilization).
In this case it was necessary

Although I'd honestly support Missisipi civilization, if it ever gets in, being ancient - it fits their relatively low tech level (due to them being their own separate cradle of civilization, just enabled very late for climatic reasons) and it would be something for North America oriented players to grab onto. Then you make Pueblo culture in the medieval era, in EM you have Haudenosaunee, in industrial at some point we get Comanche or Lakota, and then we switch into America in the modern era (this is not cringe once you realize in this game it would be a literal continuation of native cultures) and voila, we do have an entire North American cultural line. The only cost here is making Missisipi ancient, not medieval.

Yes, but they could have had Mississipi on medieval and didn't, thus showing that this "cultural line" isn't obligatory, but rather optional. I would love an Andean cultural line from Ancient to Early Modern for example, but if they don't have the spots, at least give us the Inca.

I posted this is in a different thread already but since it's come up here: looks like we will be getting Inca after all.

upload_2020-8-4_18-41-52.png

Imo we are getting Ottomans, Poland - Lithuania, Spain, Tawantinsuyu and either Mughals or Venice :)

Somebody else asked about the map editor and "they are working on it" and another person asked "will the game have steam workshop support" and he answered "I really hope so!"

Last edited:
Imo we are getting Ottomans, Poland - Lithuania, Spain, Tawantinsuyu and either Mughals or Venice :)

Somebody else asked about the map editor and "they are working on it" and another person asked "will the game have steam workshop support" and he answered "I really hope so!"

I have a feeling they will do like what they did to the Aztecs and name the Incas last.

After seeing the huge response to the AMA and reading through some of the comments, I would be very scared if I were in Firaxis' position, much more so now compared to a few months ago. This game is looking to be more and more of a magnum opus for Amplitude, and, having played some of their games (And seeing the progression in the endless series), I am impressed with each and every new bit of information released. There is so much detail and thought put into the designs that the release date can't come soon enough, which is very rare coming from someone like me who is far too cynical and critical to get into anything nowadays. While I am not trying to shill for Amplitude here, I wouldn't hesitate if it meant getting to know more about this unique universe they have crafted and how exactly each mechanic functions. I am still a CivFanatic, but I might have to take my hat off and retire to Amplitude if this game is really as good as it seems

Talking about the AMA. Didn't have the time to go check it. Anything interesting come out of it ? any new information ?

Edit: answering my own question :) This looks very interesting:

Darkjolly

How moddable will the game be? Could a modder have the tools to bring the vaulters or broken lords in ;)

level 2
Spacetroll_Amplitude

we are working on it. I don't want to over sell it, but It should be a lot easier to mod than in any of our previous games!

and also... Wow, did @sukritact questions raise and awful lot of comments ;-) Love it !

Last edited:
After seeing the huge response to the AMA and reading through some of the comments, I would be very scared if I were in Firaxis' position, much more so now compared to a few months ago. This game is looking to be more and more of a magnum opus for Amplitude, and, having played some of their games (And seeing the progression in the endless series), I am impressed with each and every new bit of information released. There is so much detail and thought put into the designs that the release date can't come soon enough, which is very rare coming from someone like me who is far too cynical and critical to get into anything nowadays. While I am not trying to shill for Amplitude here, I wouldn't hesitate if it meant getting to know more about this unique universe they have crafted and how exactly each mechanic functions. I am still a CivFanatic, but I might have to take my hat off and retire to Amplitude if this game is really as good as it seems

My sentiments about Humankind in relation to Civ exactly.

I think civ6 has always been way to conservative when compared to civ 4 -> 5 transition. So many issues with the former game you could adress, so many things to make deeper. Combat changed so AI can handle it, actually good diplomacy, endgame even better than BNW, anti - runaway mechanics, anti - snowball, revolutions, civil wars, social classes, industrial revolution, pops being physically present on the map, better communication with fans, changed victory system, changed difficulty system and scale, barbarians being something more... So many opportunities and I think they were mostly focusing on going wider instead of deeper, more of civ5 everywhere except AI, endgame and modding :p

Humankind may be a shock that will force Firaxis to innovate and be more ambitious.

I think civ6 has always been way to conservative when compared to civ 4 -> 5 transition. So many issues with the former game you could adress, so many things to make deeper. Combat changed so AI can handle it, actually good diplomacy, endgame even better than BNW, anti - runaway mechanics, anti - snowball, revolutions, civil wars, social classes, industrial revolution, pops being physically present on the map, better communication with fans, changed victory system, changed difficulty system and scale, barbarians being something more... So many opportunities and I think they were mostly focusing on going wider instead of deeper, more of civ5 everywhere except AI, endgame and modding :p

Humankind may be a shock that will force Firaxis to innovate and be more ambitious.

One has only to glance through the Threads on this Forum for all the suggested changes to Civ VI to see how much the game falls short in numerous areas.

I wonder if, looking at the games2gether Forum for Humankind in about 2 years, how many demands for changes will be posted there in regard to Humankind? I suggest nowhere near as many, because their preparation and groundwork seems to have been more comprehensive, and their goals for the game seem to be more focused. But we will see . . .

I don't know if it's just me or do I feel like Humankind is the Cyberpunk 2077 of the 4X strategy genre in terms of its ambition and how it wants to move the genre forward?

Reactions: j51

Well, I'm a "CivFanatic" in terms of the concept civ represented almost exclusively: Take a Civilization for the dawn of time to the present and beyond. I'm really glad how Humankind is shaping up, and the historical sensibilities of this game resonate much better with me than the board game approach Civ VI has.

After seeing the huge response to the AMA and reading through some of the comments, I would be very scared if I were in Firaxis' position, much more so now compared to a few months ago.

It's not clear that what you or most people on CFC regard as high quality is even what drives Civilization's sales at this point. I also don't think there's a fixed size market and that one game cannibalizes sales of the other.

Top Bottom