1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind Game by Amplitude

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by AtlantisAuthor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

Inca was a false hope apparently, unconfirmed by the dev. They are excited to make a dlc with them. There is 0 clue about one african culture in early modern

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Meluhhan and Hawke9 like this.
  2. DaviddesJ

DaviddesJ Deity

I don't think anyone is bashing Civ or Firaxis. I just disagree with the idea that if Amplitude executes well and Humankind is successful that's a big problem for Firaxis. I don't think that's true, I don't think it necessarily has an adverse effect on Firaxis even if Humankind is a big success.

CivLuvah likes this.
  3. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

I think the head of Humankind's development team mentioned in the Reddit AMA that they were going to have the Inca. But I don't know, I'm getting mixed signals. :undecide:

4. Narcisse

Narcisse Warlord

5. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

The community manager specifically said that not all of the mesoamerican/andean cultures wanted would make it. I am disappointed that the Haudenosaunee/Iroquois got picked over the Inca

conorbebe and Meluhhan like this.
  6. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Agreed I think theres plenty of room for more than one historical 4x

It only goes bad for Firaxis if they totally go off the cliff with the series like EA did with SimCity and left a huge vaccum for Cities Skylines to fill.

Siptah likes this.
  7. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Yeah, I doubt they'd go too much in that direction. Unless they made Civ VII online online with extremely small maps, I doubt it will happen. I see Civ as being a more mainstream option, while Humankind being like the more "serious" younger brother, kinda like a middle point between civ and the super historical Paradox games.

CivLuvah likes this.
  8. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

I have a question, was winged hussar unit spotted, or just Poland? Because I have realized Poland actually could be an interesting modern civ :p
    In fact it is not impossible at some point for this to turn into
    Polish - Lithuanian (early modern)
    Polish (modern)

Industrial era Poland is unlikely as all hells because it has been annexed by 1795 after being horribly weak for an entire 18th century.

9. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

Aside from the cloth hall, I don’t know or can think of any interesting polish unique districts. The cloth hall? Earthen hillforts a la CK2? Civilization 5 had ducal stables, but horse stables don’t sound terribly interesting

10. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sejmik
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folwark

I think early modern, "Polish - Lithuanian" in name, Agrarian affinity, Winged Hussars and influence - handling Sejmik is the most probable combo. Either that or Expansionist linked to ethnoreligious tolerance and agricultural Folwark.

Medieval "Piast Polish" would be probably agrarian, druzhina, gord/cloth hall while medieval Lithuania would be expansionist .

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    drakula15 likes this.
  11. Revanchist

Revanchist Warlord

Those are some interesting suggestions, I would also like to see representations of Poland’s pagan past if possible, though I don’t know how much information there is on that.

12. BuchiTaton

BuchiTaton Warlord

For me is better to have medieval Lithuanian culture instead of medieval Polish culture. They are not the same but are obviously linked. Also hope this Early Modern culture is named just Polish and not Polish-Lithuanian. Moravia or Bohemia are another good options that actually represent different areas and people.

I mean what would be the point of a game that start with 60 cultures and maybe ends with around of 100 if half of them are just especific eras of the same cultures/civs that we see on any other history based game like this.

We must remember that the game would be released without cultures like Inca, despite have 60 slots! If some should have many representation those are millenary regional representatives like China, India and Persia, and obviously modern world powers like Britain, France, Germany, etc.

Meluhhan likes this.
  13. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Holding back some "big name" cultures for DLCs or expansions makes a lot of sense.

It'll be interesting to see just how big the "official" cultures lists grow, not to mention the moddable list. With no civ leader to animate, will that make it financially more viable to release a larger number of DLCs at affordable price points? Looks like there'll still be a fair bit of animation to emblematic units and quarters, but maybe still less expensive to produce than Civ 6s?

Will also be interesting to see how DLC packs (if they come out) are organized? Instead of a pack of related cultures from the same era, it may make sense for cultures to be bundled in regional DLC packs, where you get one new culture for each era, all concentrated in the same geographical area.

Jkchart, TheSpaceCowboy and Siptah like this.
  14. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Another possibility, since so far every Era seems to be missing one Affinity, would be a string of Factions that fill in those Affinity gaps. Combine that with DLCs that fill in a new Era geographical string, or a single nation string (China, Germany, France/Gaul, England/Anglo Saxon/Briton, etc) and there are a lot of possibilities for DLC pack organization. Also, the different packs could be distinct enough that they could be released within a short period of time without overlapping, so commercial calculations don't have to affect the release dates.

15. notNamed

notNamed Warlord

That could run into the issue of CK's India. What if you want to add in cultures from an area most people don't particularly care about? They'd be a nice spice up if you get truly bored of the original 60, but since DLCs are shared across MP sessions, you don't necessarily miss out on much. So having a mix of different areas of the world or theme-ing them around exciting new mechanics might be a slightly less risky approach, IMO.

Actually, currently only Medieval lacks an Aesthete pick.

16. Denkt

Denkt Left permamently

Keep in mind that cultures is something like first pick basis, several affinities have only 1 culture per era, which mean there is a good chance you may not get to play as a certain affinity. Aesthete is a bit special in that it is not represented in medieval but on other hand you have 2 aesthete picks in both ancient and early modern.

17. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

BUT with 10 Faction choices and 7 Affinities per Era, you are guaranteed to have at least 4 Affinities every Era with only one Choice. Unless you are leading from start to finish (a Dull Game, IMHO) you are going to miss your preferred choice of Affinity more than once.

So far in the first three Eras there are, in fact, 12 Affinity choices for which there is only 1 or 0 options. Assuming the next 3 Eras have the same format, then there could be up to 24 potential 'new' DLC Factions just to give a minimum of 2 choices per Affinity per Era.

18. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Prince

We'll let you all know more about religions "Soon™".

I wasn't involved directly in the AMA, but from what I heard we didn't exactly have to push very hard, since the mods over there had already been thinking about something like this, because Humankind is of general interest to the Civ players.

Hawke9, conorbebe, Meluhhan and 8 others like this.
  19. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

Nice! Personally if there are any religious buildings or artwork I hope the aesthetics are tied to the religion in the same way building and unit apperance is tied to culture. So Islam always has Mosques and Christianity has Churches like Civ 4 I think.

That's if it works anything close to how Civ works. None of the Amplitudes previous games have anything close to religion so it will be exciting to see how it works!

20. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

Hawke9, BuchiTaton, conorbebe and 3 others like this.
  21. Acken

Acken Deity

Haven't really followed the game development. I have a civ itch to scratch and civ6 really didn't do it. I like what I've seen so far.

Krajzen and tedhebert like this.