Humankind Game by Amplitude

No, the question is why? Maybe they are closer than expected to release. I'd take that over more scenarios... ;-)

There are still a lot of game mechanics that we haven't seen, and haven't been tested by the public, like diplomacy.

No, the question is why?

Because they take quite a bit to set-up. They need different forks of the game code to cut different stuff for this one, which is really time consuming. Maybe they'll do another round near the end of the year, but this is something that takes at least a month of dev time to prepare (everything from setting different forks, basic internal testing that everything works fine, fixes, some custom art and UIs, etc).

I was implying they maybe haven't announced another round of open dev because they are about to release the whole game. An unlikely hope but that's why I said it tongue in cheek.

But of course, one needs to spell out everything on the internet... ;-)

Since so many mechanics are still *redacted* and it’s not even in alpha yet, I don‘t see the full game being around the corner. They hinted in the live stream that open dev might come back at some later point iirc.

Like the fame mechanic which is a key part of the game.

Understatement: Fame is the ONLY Victory Condition, so it has to be related to virtually everything else you do. That means, among other things, that the amount of 'Fame' you accumulate (or lose?) from actions has to be carefully balanced, which is going to require a lot of testing and tweaking of the numbers and possibly tweaking or revising of entire sub-systems in the game.

I wold be happy if we get it during the first half of 2021, but there's a lot of work to be done, I suspect, between now and then, and I wouldn't be surprised at a Fall 21 release. Sad, but not surprised.

I just got my new gaming laptop! Now a new worry came up. I was testing Civ6 on it and I was monitoring the CPU performance (More details here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/cpu-temperatures-how-to-control.662174/). Then a thought struck: if Civ6 is CPU-intensive, will Humankind be? I know I've said in the OpenDev thread that the game seems to be optimized for low to mid range systems, but I didn't check CPU performance, and now I'm worried. The game wouldn't even be out till next year!

I'm overthinking about Humankind again! :crazyeye:

I just got my new gaming laptop! Now a new worry came up. I was testing Civ6 on it and I was monitoring the CPU performance (More details here: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/cpu-temperatures-how-to-control.662174/). Then a thought struck: if Civ6 is CPU-intensive, will Humankind be? I know I've said in the OpenDev thread that the game seems to be optimized for low to mid range systems, but I didn't check CPU performance, and now I'm worried. The game wouldn't even be out till next year!

I'm overthinking about Humankind again! :crazyeye:

2 things:

1) looks a LOT like the gaming laptop I just bought, Dell G7 17... pretty much same specs, except I have a RTX 2060 instead of your 2070 max-Q. Played the open dev on it, and it went fine.
2) We also got to remember that it's almost certain that performance fine tuning is not yet totally done, or maybe even halfway done. We can assume that Amplitude will keep on working on this until release

Maybe some more reveals tomorrow? Amplitude twittered that humankind might be at French direct tomorrow afternoon.

Just my personal thought, to be honest I was very happy with Humankind coming into the scene to give Civ. 6 a run for their money and the game really looked fresh and interesting. But I'm losing some interest, despite the innovative and different concepts, and it is mainly because the civs. being revealed these last weeks don't bring nothing new, really, and they are seeming rather bland, almost rather the same, in a certain way.

Just my personal thought, to be honest I was very happy with Humankind coming into the scene to give Civ. 6 a run for their money and the game really looked fresh and interesting. But I'm losing some interest, despite the innovative and different concepts, and it is mainly because the civs. being revealed these last weeks don't bring nothing new, really, and they are seeming rather bland, almost rather the same, in a certain way.

Probably because, except for the emblematic... things... that have been revealed so far, we don't know how the others would fare. We don't know how their affinities or their unique cultural bonuses would play out. Basically, we don't know anything so far.

The game is a year away from being released and people are losing interest because they haven't seen enough new things in the last few weeks? Have I got that right?

I don't really get the hard-on for civs either. I don't see the need for them specifically to bring anything new, especially since the underlying systems are what should do that. Civs, and 60 to boot which you can combine in any way, are the cherry on top.

I did find a Reddit post that reflects @cathar knight's worry (https://www.reddit.com/r/HumankindT...g/theres_a_little_thing_that_scares_me_about/)
From the post:
The worrying part about this for me is that every culture's individuality might not show because of this, I've read of how strong the special scientific ability is for Babylon in the first scenario, and I think I've seen some Amplitude devs discuss their objective of making them strong in this sub. On top of that i'm worried about the fact that the emblematic unit and quarters of each culture might not get to shine because of how many other units and buildings there are.

I don't really get the hard-on for civs either. I don't see the need for them specifically to bring anything new, especially since the underlying systems are what should do that. Civs, and 60 to boot which you can combine in any way, are the cherry on top.

I think it’s a totally valid concern.

The underlying systems are obviously the biggest novelty in the first few games, especially for a player coming from Civ 6. But ultimately a big part of the replay value, and let’s not forget, one of the headline features of Humankind, is how you choose cultures each era. If those cultures all end up playing the same way, there’s no point in there being 60 to combine! One of Civ 6’s strongest features for me is how your choice of Civ has a big impact on how you go about playing the game, and I think it’s a lesson Humankind should learn.

Of course it’s very early days, and I have confidence in Amplitude to get this right. Perhaps we will see a later phase of OpenDev dedicated to experiencing how different cultures play in different eras of the game.

The legacy traits sound really impactful though, the fact you keep them for the rest of the game means you can make your own culture and power players will probably get a kick out of making powerful combinations. Most Civ 6 factions really don't feel that unique to play at least to me you'll get a unique unit or two that will be relevant for a little while. You you might get a bonus that's pretty nice that helps you along the way to your already chosen victory, or a bonus thats so situational you might never get to use it or you just get a map or situation that plays against your strengths or it plays so much in your favour you steam away.

These guys made Endless Legend and Space that had factions so unique I made it through a game with every single one which is pretty rare for me. I've got faith.

For me, EL had factions that were so unique that I wanted to play most of them repeatedly, because it took me the better half of a game until I really knew how to take advantage of their abilities and get along without their shortcomings. I don't expect that in Humankind to the same extent, but I think the combinations will indeed lead to many replays, involving certain cultures many times, for people like me that like theory crafting, but also like to just playfully explore possibilities.

I'm losing some interest, despite the innovative and different concepts, and it is mainly because the civs. being revealed these last weeks don't bring nothing new, really, and they are seeming rather bland, almost rather the same, in a certain way.

This might be a case where our experience with Civ impacts our expectations for HK. In Civ, you pick a civilization and play the whole game as that civilization. The uniques of that particular civilization drive the whole game experience.

HK is designed around something quite different: the merging and combining of different cultural uniques. Each culture you choose adds only 1/6th of your total "civilization" bonuses by the time you reach the final era. In other words, small differences between each culture may be enough to drive large differences in how your overall civilization plays in HK, whereas in Civ the differences have to all be preloaded at the start.

Top Bottom