1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind Game by Amplitude

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by AtlantisAuthor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

I can see most of these.

They would likely go with just a "Korean" culture for this era though. Vietnam, Ethiopia, and Japan are all good bets.

I pause on Brazil simply because they would be the only South American faction after they decided on cutting Incas for release and i think it could be released as part of a DLC pack down the line (probably a relatively high priority pack though). I can see them going either way, in or out.

I'm excited to see and just want more info already dangit!

Denkt, CivLuvah and Zaarin like this.
  2. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

I don't know if warfare should be such a big deal for culture picks, and keep in mind we should see them as cultures not as nations. Koreans probably make more sense than South Koreans as a culture. Turks probably have good merit since they avoided the faith of colonizations or being split like many others of the time and they also have ties to past cultures like ottomans. Ethiopians seems like a good pick for contemporary. I think both Turks and Ethiopians are likely. Koreans feels like a good pick, they have direct connections to past cultures and is a good example of strong development during the Contemporary era, atleast South Korea is, but North Korea should not be forgotten either assuming a Korean culture.

I would not discount contemporary Sweden, it is the place of nobel prize, have several unique military units, wikipedia supposedly said it was amongst the 5 strongest nations during cold war but how it got that idea I do not know. Economically and social it have been amongst the most successful in the world. I'm not sure you can get everything Sweden is with one of the suggested countries, in the end they are different. Also Sweden do have a direct connection to the norse culture while I'm not sure the same can be said about all the suggested cultures to replace Sweden. Given we do not know how dlcs and new cultures will work, I don't think we can say that contemporary Swedish mean no early modern Swedish if they wanted a such culture they will make it.

It may help to try to guess the affinities of the cultures:
    • Americans = Aesthete
    • Australians = Merchant
    • Brazilians = Aesthete
    • Chinese = Builder
    • Ethiopians = Builder
    • Koreans = Scientist
    • Indians = Agriculture
    • Japanese = Aesthete
    • Soviets = Builder
    • Swedes = Merchant
    • Turks = Aesthete
    • Vietnamese = Militarist
    Too many Aesthetes and builders while no expansionist.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2021
  3. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

I think Contemporary is the era we will see no Scientist affinities, since a large part of their bonus is being able to research one era ahead (which doesn't exist).

Americans - Expansionist (plenty can be Aesthete, but only a few cultures could be Expansionist for the last era, which I expect will have gameplay focused on endgame conflict)
    Arabians - Mercantile (OPEC)
    Australians - Agrarian (Outback Stations)
    Brazilians - Aesthete (Carnival)
    Chinese - Builder (sheer industrial power)
    Ethiopians - I have no idea
    Japanese - Expansionist (combining WWII era with economic power for afterward)
    Koreans - Mercantile (Asian Tiger)
    Soviets - Militarist (someone needs to be)
    Vietnamese - Militarist (again, someone needs to be)

Arguments could easily be made for all of these cultures being all the affinities, but I think having a balance among the affinities is the factor that will assign the affinities. That is also I think what will decide who even gets in in the first place.

The Americans are an obvious choice, and both them and the Chinese we've seen pictures of. The other Chinese cultures were named after their dynasties, so maybe this would be called Modern Chinese instead of just Chinese, but I think it will just be Chinese.

The Arabians are a solid choice to represent the Muslim world through this period, participating in many conflicts, a player in the world economy, and playing off both the US and USSR in the Cold War.

The Australian continent hasn't had any representation, there aren't many good options to be Agrarian except them, and there really isn't any other era to put them in.

The Brazilians are a solid choice to represent the Latin world through this period, participating in many conflicts and a more recent player in the world economy.

Ethiopians I think are in because they bothered naming the earlier culture Aksumites, and they didn't reveal Ethiopia for the previous era.

Japanese I think are in because they bothered naming the earlier culture Edo Japanese (which means this might be Modern Japanese), and they have been an important player in the world economy as well as WWII which I think is included in this Era.

Koreans I think are in because they bothered naming the earlier culture Joseon, and the Asian Tiger phenomenon needs representation.

Soviets are in because duh.

The Vietnamese I am least confident about on this list. I find the arguments about having adversarial relationships persuasive, and also the arguments about a Militarist affinity, which I think the final age will want multiple of.

4. grug

grug Chieftain

They have said there may be some surprises with the choices they make this era, so while I expect the rivalry thing they have going to be the Cold War, I think it would be really interesting if it was decolonization instead. It could totally change which cultures they pick. US and USSR would still be in, but it could change some of the other choices.

My guesses for a Cold War focus would be:

- Brazil (Mct)
    - Canada (Aes)
    - India (Agr)
    - Japan (Sci)
    - Korea (Mlt)
    - PRC (Bld)
    - South Africa (Aes)
    - Sweden (Sci)
    - USA (Mct)
    - USSR (Mlt)

But my guesses for a decolonization focus would be more like:

- Brazil (Mct)
    - India (Agr)
    - Indonesia (Aes)
    - Japan (Exp)
    - Nigeria (Aes)
    - PRC (Bld)
    - Sweden (Sci)
    - USA (Mct)
    - USSR (Bld)
    - Vietnam (Mlt)

I don't at all expect that to be the case, particularly expansionist Japan, but it would be an interesting take on what to include in the telling of the history of the past century.

5. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

*Ring of PA system*

Hype train for Humankind leaves station in... 24 hours

Kjimmet, Gwydden, TreVor_ish and 3 others like this.
  6. Gwydden

Gwydden Warlord

I guess I should lay down my guesses, before the train departs... :) Americans, Chinese, Soviets, and Swedes are practically confirmed, which leaves six for speculation:
    • Japanese: I'll be surprised if they gave the Early Modern Japanese culture such an awkward name for no reason.
    • Vietnamese: One of the few where "Militarist" might be taken as a compliment. Also our third Southeast Asian culture!
    • Koreans: Similar but somewhat less suspicious than Japan, the Early Modern version is called Joseon.
    I am less certain about the next three:
    • Brazilians: No South American faction yet and this seems the most likely option for Latin America.
    • Australians: No culture representing Oceania yet and quite popular in Civ, I believe.
    • Ethiopians: Nice continuity with Aksum and I don't think they'll skip Africa a second time.
    Jkchart makes a good point about Brazil. Weirdly, I could see them going for Cuba as it better fits the apparent Cold War theme. Australia has the weakest ties to it, so maybe we could see a Muslim country instead—perhaps Iran? And since Ethiopia is such a good fit for a future Industrial civ (though you could say something similar of the Swedes) I could envision a different African country like Nigeria instead. Call these backup guesses!

7. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Well, time to throw another set of Scientific Wld-A** Guesses into the Pot . . .

Given that the last Era covers such a wide set of circumstances and events (basically, World War One to the present day) I think they could go two ways with a resulting slightly different set of Factions and Attributes.

IF they want to refight World War Two (and before you start arguing, remember that Wold War Two is the single most popular subject in military history: when I worked at a Barnes & Noble bookstore, the section containing books on WWII was as large as all the other military history sections put together), then in addition to the 'confirmed' Americans, Soviets, and Chinese they would need Japan, Germany, and a representative of the British Empire. I suggest that that last could be Australia or Canada, both of which provided substantial forces to the European theater of the war.

I think the largest obstacle to such a formula is having a second Germany in two Eras, when the second one would inevitably be associated with the most inept regime in German history. IMHO, scratch WWII as a basis for the last Era.

IF on the other hand, they concentrate on the post-WWII Cold War, then Americans, Soviets, Chinese and Swedes make more sense. Sweden, in fact, innovated a lot of military hardware in that period: the first swept-wing jet fighter in Europe (even before the MiG-15), the S-Tank, arctic warfare vehicles, and an automatic-loading burst-firing 155mm self-propelled artillery piece that would make one Heck of a dangerous Emblematic Unit.

That formulation would also make including Vietnam and Australia and a modern India good bets. For the middle east, I don't think Saudi Arabia is likely given that all of its modern influence is due to it sitting on a sea of Oil, but the big and influential (both militarily and culturally) powers there are Egypt and Turkey.

In South/Central America Cuba is an intriguing possibility, but also to consider is that the three largest and militarily significant states in the area are Argentina, Brazil and Chile, and only one of them has appeared in any historical game 4X lately.

So, my bets would be:
    America
    China
    Russia/Soviet Union
    Sweden
    Vietnam
    Australia
    Egypt
    India
    Cuba
    Brazil (but wouldn't be at all surprised to see Argentina or Chle instead, or een Peru as a 'modern' Inca inclusion!)

Meluhhan likes this.
  8. mitsho

mitsho Deity

Sigh, i promised myself not to guess anymore, but here we go:

Americans
    Brazilians
    Chinese
    Ethiopians
    Indians
    Japanese
    Koreans
    Soviets
    Swedes
    Wildcard.

(I'd go with Turkey, but I believe they will opt for Canada/Australia/Czechoslovakia/Romania as one more "European" nation. Historiographically, I'd go with Yugoslavia or South Africa. But both of those have problems and I'd rather have the latter in my dreamed up "Near Future Era expansion pack DLC". I do hope they will eventually end up at 15 or 20 cultures per era, so there's plenty of space later on. Edit: There‘s also Vietnam, Nigeria, Pakistan or an Arab state - just so I have noted down every possibility for my wildcard :))

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
    Meluhhan and Boris Gudenuf like this.
  9. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

I’d say for the 6 guesses

Japan
    India *
    South Africa *
    Brazil *
    Korea/Vietnam **
    Arabia/Iran/Iraq */ Afghanistan**

*regional power balancing Cold War powers
    **actual cold war “War” takes place here

Meluhhan likes this.
  10. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

Meluhhan, grug and Jkchart like this.
  11. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Hummmm. 'Expansionist' makes sense only if you consider it to mean Expansion of Influence rather than Conquest. For all that the declared American Cold War diplomatic posture was "containment of Communism" that included aggressive military action against Vietnam and Korea, an abortive military intervention against Cuba, and 'proxy' military and financial support all over the world against Them Commies.

It looks like the Lightning means the F-35. On the one hand, American Air Power has been the basis for a lot of American intervention since 1941, on the other hand, the F-35 is turning out to be a Turkey and a Hangar Queen: massively over any rational budget cost and almost impossible to keep in the air: it may turn out to be the Edsel of the Sky for the USAF.

grug, Jkchart and CivLuvah like this.
  12. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

13. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

I tought they would be given Aesthete for that reason but expansionist do make sense, especially, more so since in the game you don't really play as a country but as some sort of larger entity which also help explain how these massive culture changes can happen in each era. If we see the territories as something an area a specific culture or cultures dominate, I could see how americans could be seen as expansionist.

I also think based on Lucy open dev that the expansionist ability did not work very well since the scope of using that ability was very limited, you needed to have open borders but at the same time not be at war with the target.

14. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

- And based on that, I bet we may see a modification of the Expansionist ability in the next (week's!) Open Dev to test something that has more scope.

And of course, Open Borders and Not At War pretty nearly defines America's preferred relationship with most of the world during the Cold War . . .

Narcisse likes this.
  15. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

I'll try to find a way.

Meluhhan and grug like this.
  16. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

I think the idea to be able to take control over a territory without war is a bit extreme, I'm not sure how you can balance that, if an expansionist enter your territory you would likely go to war with them. Getting expansionist era stars was very hard, I managed to get all possible era stars in a single game during Lucy open dev and getting the early modern expansionist stars required basically total control over the map. On other hand what would be a good ability for expansionist could world, also I did not use the expansionist ability a single time.

I feel both the fame stars part and the ability part of expansionist affinity needs a rework from the open dev.

17. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

True but in Humankind it doesn't have to sit in the hanger ;) i think the F-15 would have been a better choice but it's nice to see them at least try to be different

EDIT: It's apparently projected to be in operation until 2070 or later based on a quick search, so maybe they wanted something future-adjacent on purpose?

18. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Possibly being able to place outposts in other civ's territories without claiming them. (but still extracting some benefit) [if the civ doesn't like it can declare war on you and trash the outpost]
    That would fit since England, Germany, Japan, Canada, Arabia, etc. host plenty of US military bases without being the 51st-101st states.

19. Boris Gudenuf

Boris Gudenuf Deity

Well, if you believe van Crefeld in his book Age of Airpower, the 'era' of manned combat aircraft is almost over, and before 2070 everything flying combat missions will be either autonomous AI or remote controlled. Knowing something about unwillingness of the military to give up anything that allows them to Have Fun flying hot aircraft (or commanding big, imposing Battleships and Super Carriers) I suspect they will find all sorts of (specious) reasons to keep people flying and to keep building multi-billion dollar targets (oops, meant Carriers)

I will say though that no Future speculative Unit in Civ in any iteration has been believable if you follow the actual trends in military hardware at all, so there is still a big hole in 4X games regarding Near-Future Combat that waits to be filled.

Meluhhan, Jkchart, j51 and 1 other person like this.
  20. KnightModern

KnightModern Warlord

being a militarist culture would be more suited, no?
    makes military bases EQ as modern replacement for outpost with influence or fame bonuses