Humankind Game by Amplitude

Now that I think about it, there's an interesting gameplay progression from the Frankish Franci Milites with their improved charge to the French Cuirassiers with their even more improved charge...

Now, on to business, though: I come bearing news that may not be unexpected, but may be unpleasant to hear for some:
We've decided to move the release until August 17th.

The short version of it is that while many said Humankind was great in the OpenDev, many also said it could be even better, and we want to take the time to make it so.
The long version is available over on Games2Gether, including a list of what we're working on.
Sad but also welcome so that way you have time to make an even better 4X than what you already have.

Thanks for the news! Looking forward to more as always.

I just wanna say that I admire how transparent Amplitude have been in the progress of developing their game. Game delays have had a bad rap recently, but having understood the circumstances, people shouldn't take it with bad faith. This game needs to be good at release if it is going to challenge Civ.

The right call to make and all the things listed that they want to address sounds good. I personally was not swimming in money (not enough to get merchant stars as a merchant culture anyway) but it may be simply I was a bit rubbish. Rebalancing quarters is good and having a cap on emblematic districts is a good idea too as it did feel too easy to paint your city in them.

Now that I think about it, there's an interesting gameplay progression from the Frankish Franci Milites with their improved charge to the French Cuirassiers with their even more improved charge...

Now, on to business, though: I come bearing news that may not be unexpected, but may be unpleasant to hear for some:

The short version of it is that while many said Humankind was great in the OpenDev, many also said it could be even better, and we want to take the time to make it so.
The long version is available over on Games2Gether, including a list of what we're working on.

Thanks. The list of what you all are working on sounds great. The delay will only make the game even better.

Famed Nintendo designer, producer, and director Shigeru Miyamoto once said that a delayed game will eventually be good, while a rushed game will be forever bad, explaining why Nintendo generally does not set release dates in stone early in a game's development.

In other words, it will be worth the wait.

A new Feature Focus from Humankind during the GamesRadar event:

EDIT: Just to add, in an Amplitude stream detailing the delay, they gave out a date when they'll start releasing the Contemporary cultures: it's April 13! It's in the link

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/962630979?t=0h52m32s

Last edited:
On the note of OpenDev:
Our Studio Head confirmed on stream yesterday that we are aiming for the next OpenDev to be around the original launch date. Operative word: Aiming. The date is not set in stone yet, and we will make a full announcement when it is.

Unfortunately, I don't know yet where and how the OpenDev will be accessible.

O
On the note of OpenDev:
Our Studio Head confirmed on stream yesterday that we are aiming for the next OpenDev to be around the original launch date. Operative word: Aiming. The date is not set in stone yet, and we will make a full announcement when it is.

Unfortunately, I don't know yet where and how the OpenDev will be accessible.

Oh i see. Thanks.

Is multi provincial cities improved? They was pretty bad in the Lucy open dev due to max 1 pop growth per turn and the fact that district cost was just based on how many districts a city had without taking account of how many territories the city had.

In Lucy the best way seems to have been to simply make 1 province cities which get quite annoying to manage.

The culture reveals will continue one week from now! Watch out for the return of my Imgur album!
You have no idea how excited i am (actually you do because you're making the imgur album) :p

Who will be the first culture in contemporary? China is quite close in alpahabetic terms, but maybe they use americans/america for USA? Both China and USA have been seen in one screenshot on steam.

It seems these are the main guesses of contemporary cultures:
  • Americans (USA)
  • Australians
  • Brazilians
  • Chinese
  • Indians
  • Japanese
  • Soviets
  • Swedes
  • Turks
The last culture the main guesses is an african or middle east culture, guesses have been Nigerians, Egyptians and Sauid arabians.

Last edited:
Who will be the first culture in contemporary? China is quite close in alpahabetic terms, but maybe they use americans/america for USA? Both China and USA have been seen in one screenshot on steam.

It seems these are the main guesses of contemporary cultures:
  • Americans (USA)
  • Australians
  • Brazilians
  • Chinese
  • Indians
  • Japanese
  • Soviets
  • Swedes
  • Turks
The last culture the main guesses is an african or middle east culture, guesses have been Nigerians, Egyptians and Sauid arabians.
See, I know they said there were some “surprises” so I’m really apprehensive about some of the possibilities. However, with what HAS been shown, our safest bets are US, China, and Sweden (because of that one screenshot). There will be some form of Russian civ, be it Soviet or just a second “modern Russia”. I’m almost sure there will be India as well.

that leaves 5 slots for other influential and/or surprise cultures. Korean? Japanese? Maybe so. An African and a Middle Eastern one are also likely. But what fills the last slot? Honestly there’s so much to pull from.

Top Bottom