1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Humankind Game by Amplitude

Discussion in 'Humankind by Amplitude' started by AtlantisAuthor, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

2. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Prince

Possibly™. Maybe even Probably™.

3. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

*hype*

4. TreVor_ish

TreVor_ish Warlord

We all know there is gonna be one, and I'm very much looking forward to participate.

Elhoim and CivLuvah like this.
  5. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

I just wanna say that I admire how transparent Amplitude have been in the progress of developing their game. Game delays have had a bad rap recently, but having understood the circumstances, people shouldn't take it with bad faith. This game needs to be good at release if it is going to challenge Civ.

Meluhhan, Jkchart, Krajzen and 5 others like this.
  6. FinalDoomsday

FinalDoomsday Prince

The right call to make and all the things listed that they want to address sounds good. I personally was not swimming in money (not enough to get merchant stars as a merchant culture anyway) but it may be simply I was a bit rubbish. Rebalancing quarters is good and having a cap on emblematic districts is a good idea too as it did feel too easy to paint your city in them.

CivLuvah likes this.
  7. SupremacyKing2

SupremacyKing2 Deity

Thanks. The list of what you all are working on sounds great. The delay will only make the game even better.

CivLuvah likes this.
  8. OfficerOttoman

OfficerOttoman Chieftain

Can i ask something? I pre-ordered physical copy to my local store. Is there any posibility to play OpenDev?

9. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Famed Nintendo designer, producer, and director Shigeru Miyamoto once said that a delayed game will eventually be good, while a rushed game will be forever bad, explaining why Nintendo generally does not set release dates in stone early in a game's development.

In other words, it will be worth the wait.

j51, need my speed, Kjimmet and 3 others like this.
  10. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

A new Feature Focus from Humankind during the GamesRadar event:

EDIT: Just to add, in an Amplitude stream detailing the delay, they gave out a date when they'll start releasing the Contemporary cultures: it's April 13! It's in the link

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/962630979?t=0h52m32s

Last edited: Mar 25, 2021
    Meluhhan, Jkchart, j51 and 1 other person like this.
  11. Catoninetales_Amplitude

Catoninetales_Amplitude Prince

On the note of OpenDev:
    Our Studio Head confirmed on stream yesterday that we are aiming for the next OpenDev to be around the original launch date. Operative word: Aiming. The date is not set in stone yet, and we will make a full announcement when it is.

Unfortunately, I don't know yet where and how the OpenDev will be accessible.

Jkchart, TreVor_ish, Zaarin and 3 others like this.
  12. OfficerOttoman

OfficerOttoman Chieftain

O
    Oh i see. Thanks.

13. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

Is multi provincial cities improved? They was pretty bad in the Lucy open dev due to max 1 pop growth per turn and the fact that district cost was just based on how many districts a city had without taking account of how many territories the city had.

In Lucy the best way seems to have been to simply make 1 province cities which get quite annoying to manage.

14. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Deity

The culture reveals will continue one week from now! Watch out for the return of my Imgur album!

15. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

You have no idea how excited i am (actually you do because you're making the imgur album) :p

CivLuvah and Zaarin like this.
  16. Yudhisthira

Yudhisthira Chieftain

17. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

Who will be the first culture in contemporary? China is quite close in alpahabetic terms, but maybe they use americans/america for USA? Both China and USA have been seen in one screenshot on steam.

It seems these are the main guesses of contemporary cultures:
    • Americans (USA)
    • Australians
    • Brazilians
    • Chinese
    • Indians
    • Japanese
    • Soviets
    • Swedes
    • Turks
    The last culture the main guesses is an african or middle east culture, guesses have been Nigerians, Egyptians and Sauid arabians.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    Jkchart likes this.
  18. Jkchart

Jkchart Emperor

See, I know they said there were some “surprises” so I’m really apprehensive about some of the possibilities. However, with what HAS been shown, our safest bets are US, China, and Sweden (because of that one screenshot). There will be some form of Russian civ, be it Soviet or just a second “modern Russia”. I’m almost sure there will be India as well.

that leaves 5 slots for other influential and/or surprise cultures. Korean? Japanese? Maybe so. An African and a Middle Eastern one are also likely. But what fills the last slot? Honestly there’s so much to pull from.

Denkt likes this.
  19. Denkt

Denkt Left Forever

US and China is the only ones that have obviously been shown. Sweden is not a sure pick, but one early video showed a city called Malmö and the screenshot show something that could be Ericsson Globen as their emblematic quarter and their EU have been hinted to be either the JAS39 Gripen or Visby Corvett, the second one would obviously tie them to the Norse civ, similar to how Franks and French both have a cavalry EU.

After that it get a bit more dark. Soviet/Russia may be one pick, however the industrial era have a culture called Russian, there have been similar with Persia and Persia but they have added dynastic names to separate them.

Jkchart likes this.
  20. Krajzen

Krajzen Deity

I'd rather say it would be America, Brazil, China, India, Japan, South Korea, Soviets, Sweden, Vietnam and Ethiopia.

South Korea, Vietnam and Ethiopia are all important players of the Cold War era, and devs seem to love putting "conflicted nations" in the game (it was even confirmed as one of reasons why Umayyads were chosen over Abbasids). Korea is also an economic miracle powerhouse since 80s, Ethiopia is emblematic for African history and politics, and Vietnam is a very rare example of a viable and proud modern candidate for a Militarist affinity. Who has a "nemesis factor" with USA and PRC.

Meanwhile devs don't seem to care about "let's represent every region in every era" OCD, and anyway (with all due respect) no singular Islamic country over last 100 years has been extremely, spectacularly, globally accomplished regarding Humankind's criteria of success. ;) Although I do think that Turkey should get in at some later point. Preferably with an Aestethe affinity, as it is the last country on Earth you want to name "militarist" if you wanna avoid engaging in political controversy.

As for Sweden, personally I consider it a bad choice, as it would be amazing Industrial or especially Early Modern culture. While 20th century Europe could get Finland, Switzerland, Belgium or Czechoslovakia. Especially Finland seems a missed opportunity, as it would represent basically everything Sweden does but also with the added massive cool factor of Winter War (and nemesis factor vs Soviets) and without early modern era tradeoff.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021