Hybrid Affinity Synergies

Harmony's Biowells give Food (and Health) and their Level 12 bonus gives Science.

Purity's Domes give Culture (and Defense) and their Level 12 bonus gives Food.

Now Supremacy's Nodes give Energy (and Healing) while their bonus provides Production.

So it makes sense. They're not doubling up on the same yield, they're providing another yield and diversifying the improvement.

Yeah, I like this a lot. Not just it will make these improvements more useful but I feel like it helps specialize each affinity. Now, each affinity essentially has their special tile improvement. Base BE did not really encourage affinities to specialize in certain tile improvements. So, it is good to see BERT will do that.

Hmm...

Assuming there are going to be changes to victory conditions, it seems the hybrid affinities are designed specifically for warmonger players. Note the health buffs in each hybrid bonus.
Since when is health only for war?

Yeah, I like this a lot. Not just it will make these improvements more useful but I feel like it helps specialize each affinity. Now, each affinity essentially has their special tile improvement. Base BE did not really encourage affinities to specialize in certain tile improvements. So, it is good to see BERT will do that.
My only worry is: affinity 12 is late if the victories are still scheduled for affinity 13, I really hope this marks a push back to affinity 15 or higher. Otherwise, the 10/10 hybrid bonuses are kind of out of reach.

Instead of a fourth affinity, how about sub affinities.
Supremacy
- Collectivism (or Human hive, you got to get rid of the wonder)- Everyone basically becomes like the borg.
- Libertarianism- Technology is used to make individuals even more powerful. People no
Purity
- Terraformers- The goal of this subfaction is to convert the planet into a more Earth like planet.
- Isolationists- this group tries to build giant domes to isolate humanity from the outside environment keeping us pure
Harmony-
Xenophillic- This group tries to preserve the original planet ecosystem, getting along better with aliens
Transformed- this group tries to modify human DNA to become more like the planet.

My only worry is: affinity 12 is late if the victories are still scheduled for affinity 13, I really hope this marks a push back to affinity 15 or higher. Otherwise, the 10/10 hybrid bonuses are kind of out of reach.

I had the exact same thought in another thread. The affinity victories need to be pushed back to make these bonuses relevant.

Supremacy
- Collectivism (or Human hive, you got to get rid of the wonder)- Everyone basically becomes like the borg.
- Libertarianism- Technology is used to make individuals even more powerful. People no
Purity
- Terraformers- The goal of this subfaction is to convert the planet into a more Earth like planet.
- Isolationists- this group tries to build giant domes to isolate humanity from the outside environment keeping us pure
Harmony-
Xenophillic- This group tries to preserve the original planet ecosystem, getting along better with aliens
Transformed- this group tries to modify human DNA to become more like the planet.

That's pretty interesting. I like that.

Since when is health only for war?

Never said it was only for war but these health benefits would help a lot for it. Why else would you choose hybrid affinity, besides roleplay/sandbox? Again, it's also based on assumption that victory conditions won't change, which by default is an assumption I disagree with given the simplicity of harmony victory and the inability of AI to do purity and supremacy victories.

Supremacy
Purity
Harmony-

Some of the sub affinities will be covered by the hybrid affinities.
S/H is implied to be some kind of Human Hive
H/P modifies people with alien dna in order to create better humans (common theory)

Before having sub affinities, I'd like to see purity's personality be shown at all so it could be sub divided.
Terraforming, manifested a in the terrascape, has no special connection to purity. Domes got a bonus at some affinity level of purity but we don't yet know if it will make a difference.
And there are the things that make purity interesting, and not just the none-of-the-above affinity.

The livestream today revealed the last missing bonuses.

Here is the complete list:

Harmony
  • 2: Trade Routes can be made through miasma.
  • 5: Each improved Xenomass provides two more resources than normal.
  • 8: Units take no damage from Miasma
  • 12: +1 science from Biowell improvements

Harmony/Purity
  • 2: +1 Culture per level of Harmony or Purity
  • 5: Unhealth from number of cities reduced by 25%
  • 8: damaged units heal at least 3 HP per turn
  • 10: +25% Production towards Military Units

Purity
  • 2: +20% Strength and Ranged Strength when attacking or defending against Aliens.
  • 5: +1 energy and +1 culture from floatstone
  • 8: +2 energy and +1 health from terrascapes
  • 12: +1 Food from Dome Improvements

Purity/Supremacy
  • 2: +2 Energy per level of Purity or Supremacy
  • 5: Unhealth from global size of Population reduced by 25%
  • 8: +10% energy for cities with a defending military unit on its tile
  • 10: +10% production and +10% culture for cities in range of a friendly orbital unit

Supremacy
  • 2: Explorer Units can build an additional Expedition
  • 5: Orbital Coverage on and next to any tile with Firaxite
  • 8: -25% maintenance to units
  • 12: +1 production to nodes

Supremacy/Harmony
  • 2: +1 Science per level of Supremacy or Harmony
  • 5: + 5 Health
  • 8: +10% Growth in all Cities
  • 10: +0.4 Health for every Military Unit under your command

Thank effing god there is finally a connection between purity and terrascapes.
I still think they should straight up copy my mod for domes though, to make them more useful and interesting.

Thank effing god there is finally a connection between purity and terrascapes.

Yeah, it was strange how we were told for example that terrascapes were a purity thing, to make the alien world more earth-like, yet there was no reason to build them as purity. Same for the other unique tile improvements. BERT appears to fix that by giving affinity bonuses to certain tile improvement so that each affinity will have a reason to build a particular one.

Holy crap, health and energy from Terrascapes? This will make them quite good and really drives home the idea of Purity being a terraforming affinity, especially getting it as early as affinity 8!

Holy crap, health and energy from Terrascapes? This will make them quite good and really drives home the idea of Purity being a terraforming affinity, especially getting it as early as affinity 8!

I predict purity players will spam terrascapes after level 8. :)

Hopefully their will be some techs that improve harmony player that spam miasma everywhere. Instead of workers always removing it even when you place it on your borders as a defense. I remember someone saying that miasma decreases energy on that tile in Rising tide?

Supremacy has the weakest bonuses now unless they improve early game satellites. I will still try a energy base Supremacy civ to see if it is viable even though I know that energy was the worst yield in Civ:BE. With Node having increase energy and diplomatic traits improving energy it may work in Rising Tide. I expect harmony will have a lot of affinity based units, Purity is still a tall based civ and Supremacy large will have a larger military. Hopefully diplomacy will improve tall gameplay.

I'm looking forward to trying out the Supremacy/Purity hybrid. Health from Terrascapes, reduced unhealthiness from population, and a variety of energy bonuses makes me want to build megacities surrounded by terrascapes.

Supremacy has the weakest bonuses now unless they improve early game satellites.
If they changed the maintenance reduction to include buildings and/or tile improvements instead of just units, it would make Supremacy a lot better and a lot more flexible - and support the "style" (hyper-efficient machines) even more.

My current bugbear is that Harmony seems to be a bit... unfocussed, no idea how to improve it (as the ones shown are essential), but still.

There do seem to be more places to build Expeditions and now there are powerful artifacts. Maybe that's a bigger advantage for Supremacy than we can currently understand.

I wish Harmony had some benefit from tiles with Miasma as a late bonus - seems like a wasted opportunity.

Top Bottom