I cant believe i wasted my money on this game!!!!!!!!

Sukenis, I just purchased a new Dell Dimension 8250 3Ghz with Windows XP Pro, and a Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card, and both SMAC and SMAX work flawlessly! I did NOT need to load the Windows XP/2000 compatiability patch, but I did have to edit my "Alpha Centauri.ini" file and set "ForceOldVoxelAlgorithm=1". I also changed ds3d=0 and eax=0 which seemed to make the movies smoother.

I love this game, but i have found others that dident like it.

I for one thing, still think that its a civers game, not like civ 3 which was dumbed down for the mass market.

@SINISTER1974:
> I cant believe i wasted my money on this game!!!!!!!!

I have heard of people not believing in God, but why exactly don't you believe you wasted your money?

I guess, what you are trying to point at is:
> I believe i wasted my money on this game!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I love this game. Given its age, it is IMHO better than CivIII

@Sukenis: I have seen this problem too. Without and with patch.

Originally posted by Sukenis
You all have forgotten one major drawback to SMAC, how poorly it works on Windows XP. I have been unable to play the game for about 5 months now since I can only get SMAC to work for short time periods and SMAX will not work in any form. I even have the patches for it.

I've never had any problem running SMACX on XP. It runs smoother on XP than it did on Windows 98.

Since we're on the topic of how SMACX works on XP, please, help!!! The gfx for Sealurk, Spore Launcher, Fungal Tower, and all Battle Ogres either don't appear, or are completely wrong. I also have the wrong graphics for the new techs and no explanation to them... Quotes work great, though...

P.S. The game is awesome! :goodjob:

Hey all,

I don't have XP and I use an old crappy machine. But, I have to say that I've never had any problem with SMAC other than needing a direct X download a long time ago when I first bought the game.

I can't imagine anyone not liking it, if you like sci-fi or are a true Sid Meier fan.

On the other hand, some people don't like root beer floats, so I suppose to each his own.

John

P.S.

Good luck to those who are struggling with XP and be sure to post your fixes, Amenhotep7
: )

Whe I fist played this game after years of playing Civ 2 to death I thought the controls where kinda confusing but I got used to it I stoped playing Civ I Civ II and Civ III but I dont think I will stop playing SMAC the best Sid Mier has ever made

I didnt like SMAC at first either. I think it takes a while to grow on you. You have to figure everything out to appreciate the depth the game has.

Cant they release the game soon...I like to find (Alien Crossfire) for a low price some where... I find it for 1 US on Ebay US but they only ones ho sell it only delivers in US ( and Im in Sweden/Europa).

And all others take full price for it...sob...

I tired on playing the demo now ( and I donlt have the will to pay 25 US for it ) ;)

Top Bottom