I can't get mods to install by direct download.

Drahzev

Chieftain
Hello,

I manage to subscribe to mods through Steam and they work without problems. However, there are some that I wanted to install as a direct download. For example, I have "Tomatekh's Historical Religions" on the Steam workshop. This mod provides a configuration table that I want to use.

When I subscribe to a mod through Steam, it appears in the additional content when I open the game. But, there is no file apparently download when I open the "Sid Meier's Civilization VI" file. There is nothing in the "mod" folder or elsewhere. I don't know if this is normal.

So I download mods in fomat zip. I unzipped them and I copy the files to the "mod" folder as I saw it explained in several tutorials. But when I do that, the mods don't appear when I offer the games. It is as if they do not exist.

Thanks in advance

If you are using a PC version of the game mods from the workshop are downloaded to
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\289070
Within the "289070" will be the mod folders of all the mods to which you've subscribed on Steam for Civ6. The folder names however are the Steam Item ID numbers of the mods on Steam Workshop, and not the names of the mods as they show in the Additional Content pages. This is not a Firaxis thing -- this is a Steam thing.

When you directly download a mod from say CFC you extract the zipped folder and copy the entire resulting mod folder as a unit into your "Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Mods" folder. If you were copying the individual files into the overall Mods folder that would be the problem with the direct download.

The game also will act bizarro when you have the same mod both in the Steam "content" area and in the MyGames "Mods" folder.

Thank you!

I followed the path you indicated to me and I found the mods downloaded on Steam. I was able to make the desired configurations and it works.

However, direct download still does not work. I tried installing other direct download mods to try. I download new mods from this site. I followed the path "Documents \ My Games \ Sid Meier's Civilization VI \ Mods" and I placed the file simply unzipped in one piece for the different mods in the "Mods" folder. But when I open the game, the mods still don't appear.

I would like to understand, even if I no longer need it (at least for now). Do you have any idea what may be causing the problem?

1. When a folder is zipped, the zip app generally creates a "top-level" folder above the contents that were zipped.
  2. When you unzip the resulting archive, this extra "top-level" folder is retained by the unzip process.
  3. The actual mod-folder you actually need is a folder within this "top-level" folder created by the zip/unzip process.
  4. This addition of an extra layer of folders is not something a mod-creator can control -- it is inherent in the way the zip apps work
See if this is not your problem.

Note of caution -- bizzaro things can happen when the same mod is in the Mods folder and the Steam "Content" folder.

Hello,

I really hope, that you can help me. I'm not total amateur, but I did not used yet steam workshop stuffs, but it was allways on my bucket list (yes, it means I never buy this game until today).
So since on Epic game civilization vi is free today , I "buy" it (aztec DLC).
I downloaded steam, and I put the game to the library as not steam game. I added the luncher file from the folder path: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\SidMeiersCivilizationVI\LaunchPad
I subscribed the mod on the steam workshop (one of gedemo's civ).
If I understand well, I just have to start the game with steam. I do it, but does not start to download the mod, nothing happened with the mod. It seems steam does not released, that I launch civilization 6.
What I'm doing wrongly?

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,
Kornél

Top Bottom