I have never modded before and I want to make a faction where do I start?

abstractbuffalo

Chieftain
I know it sounds ambitious and naive but I had a great idea for a faction today. I even fleshed out the feel and ideology of it in my head. At first it would be for personal use but if I stick with it I would like to get others in on the project.

I feel like it is a good enough idea that it is worth everything I would have to learn.

First, download ModBuddy. This is the tool you will be using to create, debug, and compile mods. Open up Steam, hover over the Library tab button, and go down and select Tools. Then find the Civilization Beyond Earth SDK, and download it. Congratulations! When you run the SDK, you will see two options; for FireTuner, a more advanced LuA code editor, and ModBuddy, the basic XML-based mod compiling tool that all Civ modders need.

Second, read Kael's Modding Guide, specifically all the way from the start to the end of Add a Trait section. It is for Civ 5, and it is heavily outdated, but it is still the best resource on how to mod Civlilzation games. Civ: BE is very similar to Civ 5, and alot of what he says still applies.

Third, download a Sponsor mod from the Steam Workshop and poke around in it - modify their starting units, their leader's model from Hutama to Kozlov, etc. I would recommend donald23's North European Space Organization mod, as he put helpful comments into the code of his mod for beginners. His mod was also the first Sponsor mod created for Beyond Earth, so you can be assured he knows what he's doing.

Then try your hand at creating a Sponsor yourself. Download a sponsor mod, and copy all the files into ModBuddy. Go through each one slowly, modifying the files to your liking, and come back to this thread if you need any help. Or add me on Steam, I started modding with Civ: BE too and I am doing the exact same thing you are, so I could be of some use. My Steam name is Cannon Fodder.

I wanted to thank you again for the advice you have given me.

You know how Bender from Futurama has a secret desire to be folk singer? I am kind of like that but with mods and this is the first game I have played where I can do something unique.

There is a lot for me to learn but I'm going to try my best.

You seem like a solid dude maybe we can collaborate in the future =)

No offense, but it will be difficult. This is the worst time to get into modding, as there is no documentation on how to mod this new game whatsoever. Thankfully, Firaxis gave us ModBuddy, and they will also be coming out with a new tool called World Builder soon. They also made BE very similar to Civ 5, so as a modder you can sort of feel your way through the modding process.

Just go slowly, and if you are not ONE HUNDRED PERCENT SURE that something will work, then do not keep going. Run the ModBuddy debugger, and then open up the game and test your mod. If you dont do this, it could be impossible to figure out where the problem(s) are. It helps if you have modded any game before, as it helps you with balance issues and general modding tips like the one I gave above.

Good luck, and ABOVE ALL, make the game how YOU want to play it with mods - not how others want to play it.

Top Bottom