I Received Two Golden Ages

Tony Graham

Chieftain
I playing Emperor against 7 Civs. It's a huge landmass and I'm playing Domination only for the win. I took out China, America, India, Russians, Aztecs. It is now 1848. France and Greece are left. Greece is as strong as you can get and France isn't far behind.
I'm a micro-manager player and during the entire game, I have been as extremely generous as I can be with each turn to all civs. And now I'm going to brag. :D
Germany was the last Civ I took. I had a made diplomatic deals with both remaining civs and both went heavily toward Germany. When I saw them making good on our diplomatic agreements, I strategized a plan to trap both their armies upon a sliver of land where I purposely left one German city--at the top of the land. They all came running for that last remaining city. Once they all slipped in I brought in workers and built fortresses across a 5 block span where that sliver of land narrowed and then I fortified it with a crapload of Mechs. They've been caged up there for 4 turns now and are still gracious toward me (Trapped is around 160 units of mixed tech units and all but me have completed all the modern-day sciences).
Just before I boxed them in, my golden age had ended. Now 5 turns later I started another golden age and a bunch of my major cities went into disorder.
Since 2002 I've played at least 40 games of CIV3 to completion. And a lot more I've started and forgotten about. I have never had two golden ages. One thing that was different in this game was that I've never come being back from over 8,000 points and being way behind like I was but for some gut feeling I thought there was a chance and holy crap look at me now. LOL All my cities that were in disorder? All I had to do was change one Taxman to an Entertainer and suddenly my city is full of nothing but happy citizens like during a Golden Age. Strange. So I thought I'd brag a little and also ask if any of you have ever experienced two golden ages. :)

If you're playing with any Mods installed, don't forget Mods always have the chance to add unexpected bugs in weird places.

At Chieftain 2 Golden Ages are possible. At any other setting including Emperor this should not occur.

I don't think I've ever played a game on Chieftain. But you just made me go look to see if I am now :eek:...LOL.
That woulda sucked. :crazyeye: Thankfully, I'm still on Emperor.

At Chieftain 2 Golden Ages are possible. At any other setting including Emperor this should not occur.
Why so? What does the difficulty setting change that makes this (im)possible?

100% Vanilla. I play from the original CD I bought in 2001 on my old Dell OptiPlex GX110.
Blimey, what patch version? Final patch for the 16-Civ Vanilla version was v1.29, but I could well imagine that a CD published in 2001 (release year) might still have had an earlier version.

e.g. the CD that I bought secondhand (in 2009) installed v1.07, which I think was still the earliest publicly released version of Civ III. And there were still quite a few bugs...

Blimey, what patch version? Final patch for the 16-Civ Vanilla version was v1.29, but I could well imagine that a CD published in 2001 (release year) might still have had an earlier version.

e.g. the CD that I bought secondhand (in 2009) installed v1.07, which I think was still the earliest publicly released version of Civ III. And there were still quite a few bugs...
I have never installed a patch. I remember trying a couple of times and was unsuccessful. I don't use hotkeys much except for fortifying and disbanding units. Another thing that happenes it an issue with the respawning of the final civ at the end of the game. I once chased China around the map for 10-12 respawns. This version has its bugs and I have sort of learned how to avoid most of those that affect gameplay. I have found that if I make all commands with the mouse I don't see that many bugs. But the respawn thing is certainly irritating. Maybe 10 games have sent me running around at the end. But only for 3-5 turns. That China bug was by far the most ridiculous. All I wanted was the score and it made me work to get it in the books. lol

Respawning AI is an option you can turn off, isn't it? Unless even that was added by a patch?
You can certainly turn it off in Conquests/Complete, but Vanilla — especially the early versions — had far fewer (if any? It's a looong time since I played v1.07...) "Custom Rules" options.

A lot of those were added for e.g. multiplayer (added in PtW), and the new game modes (e.g. Regicide, VP scoring) added in Conquests.

How do you trigger a 2nd GA on Chieftain? Is it one from wonders and one from UU, or can you have 2 x either condition?
I don't remember ever getting a 2nd GA, I played quite a few games on Chieftain, mainly for the HoF.

Top Bottom