I think I notice a pattern...

notadummy

Emperor
Does anyone else besides me get this pattern when they start the game?

-start up game, alright, let's have fun, I'm gonna be microing my cities and managing my RAs like a boss
- near end of game: ok gogogogogogoo lets just get this game over so I can start another game (completely disregarding managing and microing)

I remember one game, Civ III or Civ IV. I clicked Next turn for over half the game :)

-start up game, alright, let's have fun, I'm gonna be microing my cities and managing my RAs like a boss
- near end of game: ok gogogogogogoo lets just get this game over so I can start another game (completely disregarding managing and microing)

Just depends on the conditions of your game. Waiting out a culture or science win when everyone is afraid to attack you? boring, let's get it over with. Trying to hold off equal or stronger enemies in a modern war -- not boring.

If you have the win all-but-secured, it does indeed get boring the closer you get to the end.

Are there any games where you *don't* spend ages trying to hold-off stronger enemies? I spend most of my games either planning for and waging preemptive wars, or fending greedy neighbors... I've been playing at Immortal for 2 months now, and I've only managed to win a couple of games.

If there's a pattern, it's closer to survival of the fittest than the OP implies.
:lol:

I find myself taking over one of the continents on a 2 continent map, then going for soemthing other than domination. Domination takes too long.

I find that on marathon I spend a majority of the game 'next turning' after moving this unit or that one.

In previous versions I at least could do some sort of micromanaging, but CiV is by far the easiest to manage... Hmmm I remember when starcraft came out and I had difficulty micro-macro-ing for awhile...

Are there any games where you *don't* spend ages trying to hold-off stronger enemies? I spend most of my games either planning for and waging preemptive wars, or fending greedy neighbors... I've been playing at Immortal for 2 months now, and I've only managed to win a couple of games.

If there's a pattern, it's closer to survival of the fittest than the OP implies.
:lol:

Yes; if you start on your own land mass, you'll have peace initially. On Immortal level unless the closest player is quite far, you can then expect their attack to come in the Middle ages; which should be easy to beat off with a combo of a Crossbow and a naval ship in their target city with walls.

As to the other maps:

Four corners: You can expect wars between at least 2 of them early and often. (The diagonal civ being the one that might not DOW you.)

Duel: Early and often

The fixed region over 95% land maps (such as Great Plains): If you start (or become) centrally located, you can expect wars with everybody.

Ring & Donut: Wars with both your neighbors expected *

Pangaea: Wars with all your neighbors expected *

Maps in which you share the starting landmass with one or two other players: Wars with both your neighbors expected. One of them might even DOW you in the middle of fighting a war with the other AI.

* On these map types: If the result of a successful war is that you are now the neighbor of someone you weren't before, they will likely go from your best friend to hostile in a few turns.

OP's comment is quite correct. I have more interest in the early & mid game. After I've already effectively won, I'm largely going thru the motions for any game. (Not only for Civ V, but for the earlier games in the franchise and indeed games having nothing to do with civ.)

Towards the end all I care about is being able to watch the replay, specifically the map replay. Playing on a marathon/legendary earth map really does create some fascinating replays.

Top Bottom