i want pleasure

What version of StuffIt do you have? It seemed to unstuff mine fine, but I'm just trying to figure out why it won't start on me.

I have Stuffit version 8.0.2

You'll have to help me here. What OS version do you have? What exactly have you done? And what are you trying to do now that's not working?

Thanks for replying.

I have a Mac, 900 MHz G3, 256 RAM.
OS 10.2.8

Here's what I did:
Downloaded DYP 101r.exe
Unstuffed with StuffIt Version 7.0

Copied Civ III (1.29 b2) and folders with Art, Text, Sounds, Fonts (separate folders) into new, desktop folder labeled Civ III DyP

Opened (already downloaded) GOTM Installer. It confirmed Civ III 1.29 in Civ III DyP folder.

Dragged Full_DYP_101r Folder into GOTM installer. It installs.
Click on Civ III in Civ III DyP folder. Screen opens to "Game Options" menu and then after clicking 'Ok,' the screen fades to black for a split second and then goes back to regular desktop. (i.e. Civ fails to open). I tried clicking every variation of Game Option menu. Same result. Opening GOTM Installer again yields message that my Civ III in the DyP folder is not v. 1.29.

Only thing I can see that is different is 1) No virtual or real PC translation and 2) different version of StuffIt. (but it seemed to Unstuff ok--it produced the folder and everything). 3) System??

Thanks for responding. 'tis curiouser and curiouser.
David

Originally posted by dmnieren
Thanks for replying.
Thanks for clarifying :goodjob:

I have a Mac, 900 MHz G3, 256 RAM.
OS 10.2.8

Here's what I did:
Downloaded DYP 101r.exe
Unstuffed with StuffIt Version 7.0

Copied Civ III (1.29 b2) and folders with Art, Text, Sounds, Fonts (separate folders) into new, desktop folder labeled Civ III DyP
Did you copy EVERYTHING - ALL files and folders - from the original to the new folder? You don't mention Scenarios, Saves, civ3mod.bic, the two Jackal files? If there's anything missing then chances are it won't work. Did you check that the copied version worked before you applied the DyP mod? It's MUCH easier and safer just to duplicate a working civ3 folder and rename the copy. You can even do it just by option-dragging the Civ3 folder to the desktop.

Opened (already downloaded) GOTM Installer. It confirmed Civ III 1.29 in Civ III DyP folder.

Dragged Full_DYP_101r Folder into GOTM installer. It installs.
Click on Civ III in Civ III DyP folder. Screen opens to "Game Options" menu and then after clicking 'Ok,' the screen fades to black for a split second and then goes back to regular desktop. (i.e. Civ fails to open). I tried clicking every variation of Game Option menu. Same result. Opening GOTM Installer again yields message that my Civ III in the DyP folder is not v. 1.29.
That last sentence is explainable, and helps to confirm that the DyP installation probably went OK. The DyP mod changes the version.txt file to put its own version information on the main menu screen. The drag'n'drop installer threfore no longer recognises it as a valid 1.29 copy. BTW. The version of the drag'n'drop installer here was aimed primarily at GOTM mod installation, hence its limitation to 1.29. But there's a more general one on my web site that allows you to install mods in any version of Civ3, as well as for Hearts of Iron and Europa Universalis.

Only thing I can see that is different is 1) No virtual or real PC translation and 2) different version of StuffIt. (but it seemed to Unstuff ok--it produced the folder and everything). 3) System??
None of that should be a problem. I'm on Panther, but I doubt if that makes a difference. I think it's much more likely to be a problem with the folder duplication.

Ok, no I didn't copy all. Typical mac user--lazy *flogging myself*

BooYEAH. It works! at least opening it!

Thanks man :)

Now to make sure it plays a decent game.

Thanks again.

Click OK to update /Users/sacharosen/Desktop/Civilization III using:

Full_DYP_101r.exe i dropped it into gotm installer but this comes up;

Your Civilization III already appears to contain all the files you selected.

Ah crap. It quit out when I was trying to start a game. got up to the choose a Civ screen and died.

Hmm. new experiment. Worked with new game, doesn't work with Kal-El's old map.

Let me spend a bit looking at it. i'm still excited, even if it "only" works with new, random maps.

Originally posted by co-wrekt
Click OK to update /Users/sacharosen/Desktop/Civilization III using:

Full_DYP_101r.exe i dropped it into gotm installer but this comes up;

Your Civilization III already appears to contain all the files you selected.
You can't drop the .exe file on it, you have to drop the unstuffed folder.

This is an alpha ;) It doesn't give the correct response if it fails to install anything!

Hmm. new experiment. Worked with new game, doesn't work with Kal-El's old map.

Let me spend a bit looking at it. i'm still excited, even if it "only" works with new, random maps.
Some maps may have been made for old versions of PC Civ3, so you may need to check with recent ones. Keep us posted on what you find. Lots of people seem to come by, get a few suggestions and then disappear. We seldom hear whether anything works out. i don't recommend trying to mix different mods in the same installation, BTW. Make sure mods you install are meant to work together.

I did the experiment. Crossing maps doesn't work (not surprising). But DyP won't "see" Kal-El's 1.1 map for DyP in its own scenario folder.

ALLRIGHT I SUCK I'm Starting from square one,I had so many different little saved files from pc to whatever All just dumped into several god only knows what folders!! I was changin bix. to bic. with reckless abandonment. I really really am bad with computers...I JUST LOVE CIV I play like 14 hour sessions. Mabey that should be a poll: what was your longest game ever..anyways I'LL BE BACK!!!!!!!

YEEEEEAAAAAAAA!!! Word up!!! thanx I owe you all mucho mucho much. If you ever come to winnipeg i'll hook you up!! I gotta go now, next time we speak I will be grey and shaky...

I did the experiment. Crossing maps doesn't work (not surprising). But DyP won't "see" Kal-El's 1.1 map for DyP in its own scenario folder.
I just tried it and it works fine here.

Are you sure you are looking in the correct Scenarios folder? Civ3 remembers which Civ3 folder it last loaded a game file from and goes back there. If this is not in your modded DyP version folder you won't see any files there. You'll have to click the "up" folder icon at the top of the file list to navigate out of the current scenarios folder and up again to see which Civ3 parent folder you are in. If it's not DyP then navigate over to the correct one. Alternatively, quit Civ3, go to the ~/Library/Preferences folder in your Home folder and trash the file called "com.westlake.Civ3.plist", which is where it remembers these things. Then relaunch and Load Scenario, and it should find the local Scenarios folder.

I did that, and it still dies after the screen where you choose Civ's with Kal-El's DyP map. I stopped trying and went to begin a game as the Malinese.

so the map was bug #1 for me
Bug #2=every turn the domestic advisor slides the sci/lux bar back to 50-50, so I have to change it back to what I want every turn.

I'll try the map again, but I don't know what else to do. I'm opening the right one...and it just cuts out at the picking Civ point.

I did that, and it still dies after the screen where you choose Civ's with Kal-El's DyP map. I stopped trying and went to begin a game as the Malinese.

so the map was bug #1 for me
I didn't do anything in any of the setup screens, I just went straight into a defaults game as the Romans, and that worked. I was presented with a settler/worker pair on a hill roughly where Rome is today.

Bug #2=every turn the domestic advisor slides the sci/lux bar back to 50-50, so I have to change it back to what I want every turn.
I don't think that's a bug. DyP is partly about slowing down the pace of the Ancient Age. There's some stuff in the Civilpedia about capped research rates.

I'll try the map again, but I don't know what else to do. I'm opening the right one...and it just cuts out at the picking Civ point.
I'll try it here and let you know the result. Which civ(s) and other parameters were you selecting?

Here's what I do:
Open Civ III
Click on "Load Scenario"
Click on DyP v. 1.1F.bic
It loads the "Choose your Civ" screen.
Just clicking the circle or hitting return at this point causes "Civilization to unexpectedly quit" (crash)

David

Aha!

Clicked on a different version of the map, and yes, the Romans are starting on a hill on a boot-like peninsula.

Great.

I'll let you know if there's anything else.

Thanks

Aha!

Clicked on a different version of the map
Where did you get the one that doesn't work?

Top Bottom