IA tech rate too fast, why?

gavenkoa

Prince
I'm using espionage to compare my tech speed with AI. Usually, I'm on par with AI but this game I'm not. To understand details, I checked Worldbuilder (Ctrl+W) => Financial adviser for AI (F2)

Untitled.png

* The low expanses are due to 5 cities (vs my 10).
* Hovering over Unit Cost I see lower Inflation (16% versus my 28%).
* Two shrines fund 100% research rate (versus my 50%).
* My worked tiles give 178 vs AI's 264 is also understandable: I worked my way chopping jungles + I'm not Financial leader, like AI.
* AI foreign trade is 54 vs my 49, even I have twice more cities: seems high population (14-15 verses my 10) and castles (+1 trade route) and Free Market contributes. Also, AI runs Free Religion (10% research).

* I don't understand how total commerce transformed into almost 2x Research...

My ideas to keep up with AI:

* I need to cripple too advanced AIs with war, capture Shrines and other goodies.
* I need to keep less cities to avoid higher upkeeps: actually I practiced it building Settlers and placing them only when AI's settlers were approached so I claimed the lend. I did it for heavy jungle lend, placing cities immediately is net negative for 40 turns...

I think jungle and far city placement (to block AI expansion) contributed to failure,

My worked tiles give 178 vs AI's 264 is also understandable: I worked my way chopping jungles + I'm not Financial leader, like AI.
This is where the problem is IMO, it's not understandable at all. You have double their cities, so even without FIN you should have close to double their :commerce: from worked tiles! Build more cottages, earlier, grow your cities bigger. I guess you are still building a lot of mines.

I guess you are still building a lot of mines.
This map was without hills but all cities except capital was covered with jungles.

My target was Iron working and I decided to get in via trading Alphabet (did it around T86). At this time, I had 2 workers and 3 cities (beside capital). Each cottage is 8T of worker.

Then I self-teched Monarchy (and adopted religion) to unlock growth limits.

Probably my cities 40-80T behind of what AI got.

Well, 3 cities T86 is totally unacceptable (edit: ah, you did have 4, but it's still too few for that point). If you have weak land tiles, focus first on coast. It also sounds like the map was very hard.

Last edited:
A save would of been helpful.

Top Bottom