Idea: Economic Victory

Ogden Reeve

Chieftain
I have been thinking for a while now that there really aren't enough victory conditions in FFH. Orbis has improved upon this with the Gone To Hell victory condition (which I think was an awesome idea), but I still think we could use a bit more.

In my last game I played as the Lanun and at turn 300 I had such a huge economic advantage on my rivals that i started to think that there should be an economic victory condition a la Alpha Centauri. It just seems that some civilizations have victory conditions especially tailored to their strengths while others do not. Domination and Conquest for aggressive civs (doesnt feel right for the Lanun), Cultural for Kuriotates or Belsarephs, Altar for Elohim, Hell for Sheim or Infernal, Tower for Amurites and other magic-oriented civs.

So if we have victory conditions that reward cultural civs, aggressive civs, religious civs and magical civs, why not one that rewards economic civs?

Im just brainstorming here but im thinking that maybe to win an economic victory you need to own all the guild HQ's, have 5 times the amount of gold of all your rivals combined and have to build a late game wonder that may require one or more great merchants.

I would love to hear what you guys think.

This could be done via 'ritual' available at banking (or better, banking and mercantilism) that cost you very large amount of money every turn at causes you to declare war on all rivals. Ritual would make you in game in 20 turns (don't really know, just an example) and fail if you run out of money before it ends. It would be similar to Alpha Centauri economic victory, but not very intresting IMHO.
Other way to do this might be kind of 'corporate' victory. Similar to religious victory, I'd win by spreading your corporation (Bank of Vivaldi in this case) to 90% of world's population. I'd be more intresting, as you'd still need lot of money but also have to give resources to your opponents have open borders with them and force them out of mercantilism. It'd be even harder (and intresting, I think) if corporations would compete with other, so aside from spreading your corporation and making sure other corporates don't (as they 'steal' your % of population this way) you'd have to watch out for you rival corp (as they remove corp from city when they spread). In case of Vivaldi, probably Hansa would be your rival.

I would think that since Council of Esus doesn't give you all the nifty units that you get from most of the other religions that somehow if you had a economic victory condition that CoE would get a bonus towards this. I mean they are all about gold, right?

Yea there should be a synergy with Council of Esus. And this might be the missing link that will make the Council feel more fleshed out as a religion. Maybe the council can increase the speed and chance that corporations expand.

I like alot of the ideas that Kalina brought up. Spreading your corporations to a large percentage of the world as one of the prerequisites for an economic victory is a good idea. I would love to see trade ships full of bankers and weavers crossing the ocean to spread their guilds in far away lands in pursuit of the economic victory. Also the "guild wars" aspect is cool too.

Top Bottom