1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Idea for making C3C patch framework

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Creation & Customization' started by Antal1987, May 22, 2014.

1. Steph

Steph Multi Many Tasks man Retired Moderator

Do you put you underwear over your pants?

2. Civinator

Civinator Blue Lion Supporter

This is convincing! :D - and: This is brilliant modding coming from another planet. :clap::hatsoff:

3. clamel

clamel Prince

Hm, I beg to differ (perhaps)
    If they didn´t care they wouldn´t put up such a fuzz on giving the source-code free to people like you Antal.

They don´t care about the old game, BUT I think that an improved CivIII might even lower the value of some of the newer games. Purely business thinking.

They could have been fixing a lot of those bugs, but time and money have gone in development of the new Civ-games, and getting back handing out fixed patches to games already bought and paid for is not such a brilliant business.

4. Steph

It can be: when I wrote the proposal to them in 2008, I highlighted the benefits vs cost of such thing. And I think there were interested at first.
    I'm not sure what triggered a sudden stop to the discussion.

5. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

They do not want to pay royalties to an "enemy".:crazyeye: Any new expansion of Civ 3 would involve paying to use source code. Sun Tsu says, "No plan survives contact with the enemy.".

6. Steph

Not necessarily. Depends on the business plan and agreement. Transferring the task to make a patch is not the same as giving the right the source code.

7. Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey Archon Without Portfolio

Another part of the complex situation is that proprietary code owned by third-parties was licensed to Firaxis to make the game, including some that is embedded in the final code. Since it is not theirs to share & it is integral to the code, the game code can't be shared.

8. Steph

They did share the code with others... So I don't see how this is not possible.

9. Blue Monkey

I was strictly referring to releasing it to "open-source". What I wrote may be inaccurate - it is only what I remember from discussions a few years ago, including comments made by Brad regarding the Mac version of the editor - which may not apply to the more general issue.

10. Steph

When I discussed with them, I never proposed to make it open source. I proposed to "transfer the burden to the shoulders of a selected team of modders, with NDA and everything". This included giving information about the necessary licences, so we could check if it was possible to get it legally to support the project.

11. Moosezilla

Moosezilla Grognard Warlord

Maybe you forgot to tell them it could be an educational tool for an entire word to use.

12. Blue Monkey

:deadhorse:

Read all the threads devoted to the subject. Pretty much every angle was covered over the years. Including personal relationships with people inside the company who could move things forward. Including putting together a consortium to buy the company. Or funding one or more of us to devote full-time work to a parallel version. ;)

13. W.i.n.t.e.r

W.i.n.t.e.r Frozen!

I wonder if more tradeable resources would be possible with such a dynamic framework applied...