Ideas to balance Civ6

_iheartciv_

Chieftain
Hi civfanatics
after maaany hours of civ6 (single, multiplayer, teamplay , with or without mods, ref,gs,nfp ) i made a list of changes that could balance this game(in my opinion of course). The purpose is to make all civs good (so i reduced op and abusable abilities and improved weak ones) without the need of a mod .I really hope firaxis will see this and make it real. I am not complaining about the game , actually they made a great job (i love the cartoon style , soundtracks and everything) and this is BY FAR my favourite game. So thank you civ devs . A lot of ideas are from mods others are mine.

• AMERICA (Rough rider)
    • +7 combat strenght in FRIENDLY territory ( this is the Global coalition policy . i think it fits america perfectly but it arrives too late in the game.no more home bonus .my idead it s more than the +5 continent bonus but it works only inside america borders and allies )
    • +100% diplomatic favor for each turn starting as Suzerain of a city sat-state ( Orszaghaz effects , seems too much but i think america needs more diplo power against sweden and canada abilities and city states are easy to kill )
    • +1 gold for each city states envoy ( merchant confederation. again : city states are easy to kill so this is not as op as it could seem)
    • 2 envoys if there is a trade route is fine
    • Rough Rider UU is now a Cuirassier Replacement (unlocked at ballistics)
    • AMERICA (Bullmoose)
    • -50% for naturalists.
    • Science for breathtaking tiles reduced to 1 at start of the game, +1 when astrology is researched.
      Culture for breathtaking tiles reduced to 1 at start of the game, +1 when enlightenment is researched.
    • AMERICA (changes for founding fathers)
    • america doesn't lose diplo favors( for grievances,pollution, occupied capital)
    • ARABIA
    • Worship Building enhancement bonus increased to 25%
    • Mamluk can upgrade into Cuirassier
    • desert start bias (this is a religious civ that needs desert folklore and all arabian countries are desert countries )
  • AUSTRALIA
    • Leader Ability Bonus Production reduced to 50% when targeted with a declaration of war and reduced to 50% when liberating a city state.(i think 100% is too much and abusable especially in mp )
    • Digger UU:
      Movement: 3
      Resource Maintenance: 1 Niter
    • digger bonus unchanged
  • AZTEC
    • +50% production towards land melee units( i think it will be used only to build eagle warriors . after unlocking cavalry units you forget to have this bonus. i don't see it too op)
    • Tlachtli UB now provides +3 culture(instead of +1 culture and + 2 faith) , general point and amenity are fine
    • you always get a builder when you kill with eagle warriors (except barbarians)
  • BABYLONIAN
  • ability gives 99% not 100% of the tech
  • rest is fine
  • BRAZIL
    • minas gerais unlocked at steel
  • BYZANTIUM
    • no changes
  • CHINA
    • Great wall gets +1 prod, no gold. +1 gold and +1 culture per adj segments. culture comes at castles
    • Crouching Tiger UU Range: 2 (was 1)
    • eurekas and inspirations should give +20% (+10% is too little compared to new strong new frontier pass civs abilities)
    • CANADA
    • Hockey Rink UI now at Diplomatic Service
  • CREE
  • no changes
  • EGYPT
    • Iteru production bonus increased to 25%
    • cleopatra ability : routes from other civ to egypt +4 gold to egypt (was +2). all the rest is fine
  • ELEANOR (england and france)
    • Theater Square buildings (+100% production)
    • doesn't lose diplo favors from flipping capitals with loyalty
  • ENGLAND
    • Sea Dog UU is now available at Exploration (was Mercantilism)
  • ETHIOPIA
    • no changes
  • FRANCE (all leaders)
    • Chateau UI updated as follows:
      +2 Culture
      +1 Housing
      +1 food and +1 gold for each adjacent luxury resource
      +1 Culture for each adjacent Wonder
      Now available at Feudalism (Humanism it s too late)
      Must be built adjacent to a river
    • Black queen Catherine's spy abilities moved to France (all 3 leaders get a spy)
    • GEORGIA
    • Leader ability: Now provides 50% of killed enemy unit base combat strength as faith. all rest is fine
    • Tsikhe UB is now a replacement for Ancient Walls that provides +4 faith
  • GERMANY
    • no changes
  • GRAN COLOMBIA
    • no changes
  • GREECE
    • no changes
  • GAUL
    • King's combat bonus reduced to 1 per adj unit
  • HUNGARY
    • Levied units only get +1 movement and + 5 combat bonus ( was +2 mov and +5 combat bonus)
    • all the rest unchanged
  • INCA
    • no changes
  • INDIA
    • Stepwell UI:
      +1 food moved to Feudalism( Professional Sports is too late)
    • Chandragupta:
      movement bonus for war of territorial expansion +1 (was +2) all the rest unchanged
    • Gandhi:
      +50% production towards religious buildings. all the rest unchanged
  • INDONESIA
    • no changes
  • JAPAN
    • Samurai UU availability moved to Feudalism
  • KHMER
    • no changes
  • KUBLAI KHAN (both china and mongolia)
  • you get eureka and inspiration even for first trading post in city states (most of the games are 8 players so this ability is not so strong compared to other new frontier pass civs this is why i propose a little upgrade to include city states eureksa and inspirations)
  • mongolia kublai khan : -50% cost of ordu
  • KONGO
    • no changes
  • KOREA
    • Seowon UD
      +3 science (was 4) bonuses for farm and mines unchanged
    • seondok ability: cities with an established governor receive +5% culture for each promotion that governor has. ( so more culture but no science)
  • MACEDON
    • basilikoi paides gives +3 production (was +1) and no more science bonus . still gives great general ,housing and citizen slot
    • Hypaspist gets +10 against cities instead of +5
    • Alexander receive science equal to 20% of the production cost after training a non civilian unit (like ambiorix ability but for science)
  • MALI
    • no changes
  • MAORI
    • no changes
  • MAPUCHE
    • Combat Bonus versus civilizations in a golden age reduced to +7(+10 is too much)
    • Chemamull UI provides +1 production (all the rest unchanged)
    • Malon Raiders are now a Courser replacement with these changes:
      Maintenance: 3
      Movement: 6
      -Special ability: pillaging only costs 1 movement (unchanged)
  • MAYA
    • no changes
  • MONGOLIA(genghis khan)
    • Ordu UB cost -50% cost
    • +5 strenght for light/ heavy cavalry (was +3)
    • no more chance to capture defeated cavalry class enemy units ( the unit you take cannot move on the same turn and is not full health so it s almost useless)
  • NETHERLANDS
    • no changes
  • NORWAY
    • no changes
  • NUBIA
  • no changes
  • OTTOMAN
    • Grand Bazaar now a Market replacement instead of Bank replacement
  • PERSIA
    • movement bonus when declaring a surprise war +1(was 2)
    • Units get +1 Combat Strength for every occupied capital
    • Internal trade routes get +2 Culture at Medieval Faires
    • Internal trade routes get +2 Culture at Urbanization
    • Internal trade routes get +2 Gold at Banking
    • Internal trade routes get +2 Gold at Economics
  • PHOENICIA
    • no changes
  • POLAND
    • Receives a relic upon founding a religion
  • ROME
    • + 25% production towards districts and buildings that already exist in the capitol ( rome is considered really strong but honestly rome has nothing special . rome just gets streets and monuments early. it gives you a little advantage at the beginning but in the mid game every civ get the same stuff . it s not comparable to korea or russia so i think rome needs something to make it stronger )
  • RUSSIA
    • Now only receives 4 bonus tiles when founding a city (was 8)
    • Lavra don’t yield writer/artist/musician point unless city has theater square
    • trade routes should give +1 science for every 2 technologies that civilization is ahead (russia is always the best at culture so culture from trade routes is useless)
  • SCOTLAND
    • 10% prod/science for happy, 20% for ecstatic
    • Golf Course UI changes:
      +1 Housing at Urbanization( was globalization , too late)
    • all the rest of golf course is fine
  • SCYTHIA
  • people of the steppe changes
    • horses accumulate +2 horses per turn (so +4 each like england for iron and coal mines)
    • +50% production towards light cavalry and saka
    • no more free second copy
  • SPAIN (this civ is the one that really needs a rework)
    • After researching Astrology, gain 1 Great Prophet Point per turn in the Capital(Spain has no bonus to get a fast religion but needs one)
      Mission UU updated as follows:
      +2 Faith
      +1 Science for each adj campus or holy site
      +2 Faith if on a foreign continent
      +1 housing if on home continent
      Available at Theology(was exploration but it is too late)
      +2 Science at Enlightenment
      +2 Loyalty if on a foreign continent
      cannot be placed next to each other
    • SUMERIA
    • Epic quest changes: Double pillage rewards . levying cost 50% is fine.
    • War Cart UU has 1 maintenance cost and 27 combat strength
    • Ziggurat UI
    • +2 science
    • +1 culture if next to a river
    • +1 culture at diplomatic service
  • SWEDEN
    • +50% production towards Factories and Universities
    • Open Air Museum unlocked at Diplomatic Server instead of Nationalism ( i think nationalism it s too late)
  • VIETNAM
  • leader ability(so op) changes to : +5 combat bonus and +1 movement in rainforest,marsh, woods in your territory only ( so not outside of your empire) . because you get a general easy with your unique district so this ability is not balanced at all.
  • ZULU
    • +1 gold and +1 culture when building ikanda and additional +1 culture / gold for every building ( so max +4/4 for every ikanda with 3 buildings.)
    • +5 Corps and Armies bonus delayed to Nationalism(this is a good idea to balance early corps)
Non-Unique Units (replacement UUs also adjusted)
  • Quadriemes get 2 range (with 1 range they are almost useless)
  • Helicopters use oil instead of aluminum ( all players build airplanes with aluminum so this change is very welcome)
  • Cavalry, Courser, and Knight production reduced
  • Military Engineers get +1 movement and building roads don't consume charges
  • Pikeman/Impi moved to Stirrups
  • All planes -10 combat
  • Siege units get +10 ranged defense (siege units are too weak and catapults and bombards are always in range of city attacks)
  • Anti-Air guns moved to Steel tech(AA guns arrive too late)
  • Privateers are now available at Exploration
  • Infantry buffed to 72 Combat and 3 Movement, and cost 1 niter maintenance( oil is used for tanks and artillery. and you have no use for niter in the late game )
  • Warrior Monks +5 combat strength (40 now) and do full dmg to walls
Buildings
  • Flood Barriers unlocked at steam power(computer is too late )
  • strategic resources are too rare (if u play abundant strategic resources will ruin the district placement ) so i think military buildings should give a little bit of resources (many times you unlock planes or tanks and you have no aluminum or oil)
  • Barracks +1 iron
  • stable +1 horses
  • armory +1 niter
  • military academy +1 oil
  • lighthouse +1 niter
  • shipyard +1 coal
  • seaport +1 oil
  • hangar +1 aluminum
  • airport +1 aluminum
  • Oil Power Plant +6 Production instead of +3 ( the bonus extends to all city centers in 6 tiles. with only 3 production nobody will build it because oil is important for troops)
  • Nuclear Power Plant now +8 Production and +6 science( instead of +4 production and +3 science . this bonus extends to city centers in 6 tiles too. i think this should double to balance the risk of nuclear explosion)
  • Ancient Walls Production increased to 100 from 80
  • Medieval Walls Production decreased to 200 from 220
World Wonders and Natural Wonders
  • Great Barrier Reef gives major (+2) adj to campus districts
  • Bermuda Triangle no longer gives science to tiles
  • cristo Redentor also gives 1 relic all other effects are fine
  • St Basil's Cathedral also gives 1 relic all other effects are fine
  • Crater Lake now gives +2 Science, and +4 Faith
  • Cliffs of Dover provides an additional +2 Food can be settled
  • Galapagos Islands provides an additional food on adjacent tiles
  • Lake Retba gets +2 Food added
  • Pantanal gets +2 Science added
  • Goibustan now +4 Culture and +4 Production
  • White Desert now +2 Science, +2 Culture, and +6 Gold
  • Chocolate Hills now +3 Food, +3 Production, and +1 Science
  • Devil's Tower grants 2 Faith to adjacent tiles instead of 1
Religions
  • Holy Water gives +10 healing (religious units and all military units) within borders of a city following your religion
  • All worship buildings production cost reduced
  • Dar E Mehr now gives +3 culture in total instead of +1 faith per era
  • Wat now gives +3 science ( was+2)
  • Work Ethic now +2 production for shrine and + 4 production for temple (like choral music but for production)
  • Divine Inspiration now +6 faith per wonder
  • Crusader reduced to +7 (+10 is op)
  • Lay Ministry +2 Faith/Culture for appropriate districts
  • Stewardship +2 Gold/science for appropriate districts
  • Zen Meditation requires only 1 district
  • Religious Communities +2 for every religious building in the holy site (so +6 if a holy site has all the buildings. otherwise this belief will never be chosen. it s weak compared to choral or feed)
  • Itinerant preachers percentage increased to 50 from 30
  • religious colonization also gives +4 loyalty on new cities. the rest is fine.
Pantheons

. City Patron now +50% instead of +25%
  • religious settlement 30% gold discount on tile purchase ( no longer settler or border expansion, the 30% gold discount can stack with land surveyor and expropriation so up to 50% discount)
  • Goddess of Fire Pantheon Faith from volcanic soil and geothermals doubled to +4 (was +2 .geothermals and volcanic are so rare. +4 is more balanced i think)
  • Initiation Rites +25% experience to all military units
  • Fertility Rites now gives +1 food on maize, sheep, wheat and rice, in addition to the free builder
  • Religious Idols gets +2 gold added to its +2 faith on mines over luxury and bonus resources
  • Monument to the Gods now affects Wonders of any era( all pantheons must become competitive)
  • Stone Circles gets +2 faith and +2 production from Quarries
  • God of War gives +1 Great Person Points to Harbors (with lighthouse), Encampments(with barrack/stable) . ( just a divine spark for military districts)
Golden Ages
  • To Arms now gives +10 combat against cities
  • Hunt Sic Dracones gives 3 pop for all new cities instead of just new continent ones
  • Pen, Brush, and Voice Golden Age gives +2 culture and +1 gold per district ( to make it competitive or a player always chooses monumentality and free inquiry)
Governors and Governments
  • Warlord's Throne gives +20% production towards naval and land military units, -1 unit maintenance cost for all units
  • Audience chamber gives +3 food and +3 housing +1 amenity( was +3 housing +1 amenity) for cities with a governor
Culture Victory
  • Computers and Environmentalism give +50% tourism boost instead of +25%

Religious Victory
  • Trade routes send 2 religious spread and return 1 instead of 1 and 0.5

City-States
  • Nan Madol suzerain bonus only applies to special districts now and gives only +1 ( was +2 , too op for coastal civ)
  • Ayutthaya culture bonus should be 5% (10 % for building is too much)
Miscellaneous

• discipline card gives +10 instead of +5 combat strength against barbarians
  • Favor reduction for owning foreign capitals reduced to -2 from -5 (-5 is too much)
  • Tunnels moved to Military Science from Chemistry ( i think chemistry is too late)
  • Era score will no longer count towards actual game score
  • Minimum favor from pollution caps at -10 ( was-20 , too much)
  • Can improve offshore Oil at Refining Tech (when Oil is revealed, plastics is too late )
  • Limes policy card now provides +50% production to Siege Units and does not expire (siege units cost a lot of production)
  • Fishing boats give +1 production
  • anti-cav units should have a zone of control for light/heavy cav units
  • commercial hub get +1 adj for every luxury resource
  • no more names on rock bands ( waste of time especially when you play multiplayer with timer )

Last edited:
This game receives patches every month so i prefer to make proposals now to change it instead of using mods. I'll use mods when civ 6 will no longer receive patches .

Reactions: PiR
I don't like to use Mods either
I tried mods in the past years just to understand if the changes really improved the game ( and some mods really balance the game ) . I updated my post after testing vietnam and kublai khan. Let's hope they will balance the game in april as they say because some civs (especially old civs ) are too weak compared to the new ones.

Most of your Ideas can be achieved via Mods (if not all of them), and if Firaxis decides to make what you suggested in an official update, then they would do it the same way modders would do it. So why should Firaxis make things that can be easily achieved via Mods? Yeah, I agree, it's their Job to balance things in the Game and not of modders, but I would prefer it if they concentrate their Time and resources on other things that can't be achieved by Modders. They should fix Bugs (even if Mods can fix some), focus on balancing things that can't be fixed via Mods, and perhaps enhancing existing mechanics (not just the usual +/- , % of something) and making them interact with each other. And ofc introducing more mechanics (not new infrastructures, or units...etc, but something like the new Industry Mode (even if it just makes use of already existing stuff)) or altering the existing ones (Amenities).

I myself used to not use Mods, except for some few ones like UI mods. Because I feared that because they are not offecial they would break the Game or something, but that's before I knew how Mods work. The contrary is the case, many Mods fix a lot of stuff in the Game, and add new things the Game was lacking and that I didn't thought I would need them.

Now I can't imaging playing the Game wothout Mods, it would be just boring and not challenging IMO. And for that purpose I started to make Mods for the Game too.
The Game shifted too much from it's predecessors, especially by not implementing mechanics that made previous iterations successful, or not properly implementing the ones they did implement (World Congress), that I really fear that Civ 7 would be just a Mainstream 4X Game (Yeah, not Strategy Game (look at Civ 6 Combat Systeme ¿?!!)) with fantasy elements (please keep those for stand alone Expansions only), and not based on history and reality.

Last edited:
Not all my ideas are from mods ( btw if mods introduce good ideas why don't copy them?). Of course they should fix bugs and introducing new mechanics, the more complicated the game is the better otherwise I would play a tower defense style game. The point is that some civs are too powerful while others too weak so the game needs to be more balanced. And some mechanics need a fix too . The april update is a great opportunity and I'll hope for the best.

Yeah, Firaxis did introduce some Mods officially in their Game, like Map Tacks. But I don't understand why they didn't kept doing that with successful Mods, like UI Mods (use these Mods once and you will never be able to play the Game without them. you would only not use them because you don't know that you really needed those), UD Icons...etc. They would benefit from them more than we, the players, would.

And Yes, I hope too that they will make preNFP Civs more balanced with the newly added ones.

Yes I agree with you . I don't understand either why they didn't kept introducing mods (even not related to the game mechanichs like colorized historic moments mode that is so cool.....useless but cool). A good idea is a good idea no matter if it comes from a mod, a forum , a rookie or an expert player. Btw april is almost here and i guess vanilla civs will be newfrontierized :love:

Goal: Realism + Balance

SCYTHIA
Saka Horse Archer requires Horses.

SUMER
War-Carts unlocked with Wheel technology.

Saka and warcart are both unique units so i think they should have something particular to give a little advantage to their civ .

There is a lot to unpack. You suggestions are interesting, even if I am not agreeing with all of them.

America (Rough Rider)
I think you missed the whole point of the Big Stick policy: the USA wanted the monopoly of influence in the new world, including South America. That's why they have a +5 CS for the whole continent and not for friendly territory: it is for attack, not defense. Double Envoys from Trade Route is crazy powerful: he gains a lot of Diplomatic Favor that way in addition to control City-States. Canada and Sweden might have more DF in the end (not even sure for Canada), but they are not going to enjoy City-States bonuses. I will not change his ability at all.
As you said: Rough Rider should be a replacement of Cuirassier. It means: lower Production cost (385 → 330), probably less Combat Strength (67 → 64), will probably need Iron (0 → 10, not 20), and get unlocked earlier (Rifling → Ballistics).

America (Bull Moose)
I don't think they should have a -50% cost from Naturalist. They enjoy greatly from Earth Goddess pantheon (+2 Faith from breathtaking tiles), while Holy Sites give Appeal: they don't have a Faith problem to begin with, while they already have a lot to gain from having Natural Parks. With the addition of the Preserve, the Bull Moose ability is even more powerful. I rather want the bonus to Science and Culture split. Like:
"Breathtaking tiles receive the following yields when adjacent to those tiles: +1 Culture from Woods, +1 Science from Mountain, +2 Culture from Wonder, and +2 Science from Natural Wonders. +1 Appeal in all tiles in cities with a National Park."
You can achieve up to +3 Science and Culture if the tile is next to a Mountain, a Natural Wonder, Woods and a Wonder. Overall, the yield is reduced to +1 since Wonders and Natural Wonders are far less frequent than Mountain and Woods.

Babylonian (Enuma Anu Enlil)
The whole point of the Civilization is having access to Technologies you shouldn't have. Going from 100% to 99% is just a way to push them to do the prerequisite while not forcing them into having Science. People lucky enough to be able to do all of them will still be too powerful. I rather want have an ability less powerful but allowing to still jump in the tech tree, like:
"Eurekas provide double of the Science for technologies. Technologies with completed Eurekas are researchable without completing their prerequisites. -50% Science per turn".
Now there is still a point into having Science in the early game, while not having the sensation of wasting Science.

China (Great Wall)
I remember that in Civilization V that the Great Walls became obsolete at Dynamite. It could be interesting to see something similar to this. Like: "+1 Production at Steel. Great Wall tile improvement does not act like a Fort anymore."

France (all)
It is really confuse to understand the change you want for them. You want Eleanor to build Theatre Square faster, and France having a Spy ability. But what would be the ability of the Black Queen then? France will end up not having a Wonder focus? I think the problem is more global:
→ Wonders are bad Tourism generator. Change the 2 base Tourism to 4 and I think it is honest, or having a flat value that do not increase with era?
→ Tourism has no purpose outside the Culture Victory.
→ In Civilization V, you had some bonus from having very influential on the targeted civilization, like bonus Science from Trade Route, better Spies and city conquest are less problematic. We could have something similar in Civilization VI like having better Loyalty pressure on neighboor that are culturally dominated, and suffer less from their Loyalty pressure, they would have a Combat Strength penalty if they go to war against to a civilization that have Tourism, and so on.​
→ They are very shy on %Production toward wonders. They could add +5% to all wonders production bonus. Like: Autocracy at 15% and becomes the legacy, Iteru at 20%, Grand Tour at 25% and working for late-game wonders as well (Eiffel Tower is Modern, and do not enjoy from France ability...), the policy cards at 20%, and Brussels at 20% as well, while having the Pantheon works for all wonders (as you said).
For France itself, I would say:
• Grand Tour: "+25% Production toward wonders from the medieval to modern era. Tourism from wonders of any era is +100%. Cities receive +5% Culture for each Wonder built."
• Garde Impériale: Add a new melee unit, and make the Garde Impériale a replacement of that unit, so you could upgrade from it.
• Château: Overall, I like your change. Unlocked earlier (at Castles since Château means litteraly Castles, but Feudalism is good), with lesser Culture and bonus that it will recover at Humanism. Change the "Wonder milking" focus into a "Luxury milking one" instead. I put the Culture in the Grand Tour ability. I think it will be better as a Housing/Food/Culture one than a hard Culture one.

Georgia (Tsikhe)
The main reason the Tsikhe is a Renaissance Walls is because they wanted the city to show the unique beauty of walls. If it is an Ancient Wall, it will disappear with the Medieval Walls. I think Georgia need to be reworked. I made a suggestion in a different thread, where I changed the focus into huge Pressure (Loyalty + Religious), and being able to juggle better between Dark Age and Heroic Age while not facing penalties in Dark Age. Here it is:
Glory of the World, Kingdom and Faith:
+50% Production towards Walls. When the first Medieval Walls are constructed, the Siege Tactics technology is unlocked. Each level of Walls in Tamar's cities cause -1 Loyalty per turn in foreign cities within 9 tiles, and increase outgoing religious pressure by 1.

Strength in Unity:
Cannot enter a Normal Age, and fall in a Dark Age instead. Loyalty pressure from Citizen is not reduced during a Dark Age, and is increased during Heroic Age. When making Dedication at the beginning of a Golden Age or Heroic Age, can choose to fall in a Dark Age instead. +100% Faith for 5 turns for each Free city joining your empire thougth Loyalty pressure.

Tsikhe:
A building unique to Georgia. Lower Production cost than Renaissance Walls. Provides +3 Faith and +1 Influence, and +3 Tourism after advancing to the Conservation Civic.

Kublai Khan:
One way to make use more than once the ability per civilization, and be more balanced should be to receive only 1 boost instead of 2, and make both Kublai Khan and the target civilization enjoy that boost. For example: "One extra Economic policy slot in any government. When establishing a Trading Poist in another Civilization's city, both you and the civilization receive either a random Eureka or Inspiration."
Due to the 3 Economic policy cards bugs at Chiefdom, they should add a new Economic cards, like "+1 Food and +1 Housing in the Capital" just to fill the gap.

Korea (Seowon):
If it is +3 instead of +4, therefore Korea would never enjoy the +50% Science from having a +4 adjacency bonus (the double adjacency does not work for triggering the +50% Science). I think the Seowon should have standard adjacencies from Farms and Mines, and change the Three Kingdoms to something else (like some Defense bonuses?). It is still crazy powerful since you can always have Farms and Mine around it, except if you purposely put it next to a Mountain or the Coast, and can achieve +6 Science. But, you need some builders and make sure to not put districts around it.

Russia (all)
Having only +4 tiles instead of 8 is harsh. +6 seems to be a good compromise: double territory. I wish that bad terrain have additionnal yield so if you are not a desert / tundra civilization, you will not get screwed starting in those terrain. For example, Tundra could be 1 Food and 1 Faith, Desert could be 1 Production and 1 Gold, and you could put Farm on Tundra / Desert tiles with access to fresh water (rivers, oases). If so, then Russia ability would downgrade to only +1 Production to Tundra.
Lavra should maybe work differently: +1 Writer with Shrine, +1 Artist with Temple, and +1 Musician with the third one.
The Grand Embassy should maybe work with Diplomatic Square, but I have no imagination.

Spain (all)
Even if Spain and Byzantium use Religion for Domination, Spain cannot do both at the same time. If he converts, therefore he doesn't enjoy the +4 CS from different religion (up to +8 with Theocracy), and need to use Crusade (+10 CS) to have the best of both world. If you need Crusade to play your game, then you should go for Byzantium. I like the way how you made the Mission relevant in the home continent. Like Georgia, I think Spain needs to be updated to have a real gameplay unique to him. Here: colonisation! I made a suggestion in a different thread. I made the same observations but address the problem differently. Instead of free Prophet point, I gave a +% production to holy site prayers, while I also thougth that the Mission came way too late. Here it is:
El Escorial (Philip II bonus):
+50% Production torward Holy Site Prayers, that triple Religious Pressure. +5 Combat Strength against civilizations not following Spain's majority Religion. Settling or conquering cities convert to Spain's majority Religion. +1 Loyalty for each Population following Spain's majority Religion, and -1 Loyalty for each Population following other Religions.

Treasure Fleet (Spain's ability):
May from Fleets and Armadas faster without the Seaport building after unlocking the Mercantilism Civic. Your Trade Routes generate +1 Gold for every 5 tiles they travel. Trade range on water is doubled.

Conquistador (Spain's unique unit):
Spanish unique Renaissance era unit that replaces the Musketman. +1 sight range. +2 Movement and +10 CS when embarked. All terrain tiles cost 1 Movement. Can found a City.

Mission (Spain's unique tile improvement):
Unlocks the Builder ability to construct a Mission after gaining the Theology Civic, unique to Spain.
+2 Faith, +0.5 Housing, +20 HP healing for the Spanish units on the tile.
+1 Science for every adjacent Campus and Holy Site (Education)
+1 Faith, +1 Food and +1 Production on foreign Continent (Exploration)
+1 Science on the home Continent (Scientific Theory)
+1 Science (Cultural Heritage)
Tourism from Faith once Flight is researched.

Sumeria (War-Cart)
This thing is a Heavy Chariot available earlier, with -10 Production (-15%), +2 Combat Strength, +1 Movement, no Maintenance, and not vulnerable to Anti-cavalry. Can you imagine if the Hoplite where unlocked at the start of the game, for 55 Production, 27 Combat Strength, 3 Movement, no Maintenance and not vulnerable to Melee units?
For me, it is fine that the Heavy Chariot is available at the start of the game. It should also be a replacement of the Heavy Chariot. But, it needs at least to be 65 Production, and be vulnerable to Anticavalry. I think they put the last bonus to deal with Barbarian Outpost which happen to be guard by Spearmen. The ability could be move to the Epic Quest, like "+5 Combat Strength against Barbarians, up to +10 if they are inside a Barbarian Outpost. Receive a Tribal Village reward when clearing a Barbarian Outpost. Pay half the usual cost to levy city-state units".

Military building granting ressource:
I am not against, but should be available througth policies with some downside. If you can dodge the strategic grabing game that easily, then there would be even less tension of being weak and vulnerable because you can't have a proper army. Having free stuff seems a little too easy: it should be conditional
  • +2 Iron for every Barracks.
  • +2 Horses for every Stables.
  • +2 Niter for every Armory.
  • +1 Coal for every Lumber Mills BUT -2 Production to all Lumber Mills. Cities suffer -1 Loyalty for each Lumber Mills they have.
  • +1 Oil for every Farms BUT -2 Food to all Farms. Cities suffer -1 Loyalty for each Farms they have.
  • +1 Aluminum for every Mine BUT -2 Production to all Mines. Cities suffer -1 Loyalty for each Mines they have.
  • +1 Uranium for every cities with Nuclear Power Plant and powered Research Lab BUT -5 Loyalty in cities with a Campus, and in cities with an Industrial Zone.

Last edited:
There is a lot to unpack. You suggestions are interesting, even if I am not agreeing with all of them.

America (Rough Rider)
I think you missed the whole point of the Big Stick policy: the USA wanted the monopoly of influence in the new world, including South America. That's why they have a +5 CS for the whole continent and not for friendly territory: it is for attack, not defense. Double Envoys from Trade Route is crazy powerful: he gains a lot of Diplomatic Favor that way in addition to control City-States. Canada and Sweden might have more DF in the end (not even sure for Canada), but they are not going to enjoy City-States bonuses. I will not change his ability at all.
As you said: Rough Rider should be a replacement of Cuirassier. It means: lower Production cost (385 → 330), probably less Combat Strength (67 → 64), will probably need Iron (0 → 10, not 20), and get unlocked earlier (Rifling → Ballistics).

America (Bull Moose)
I don't think they should have a -50% cost from Naturalist. They enjoy greatly from Earth Goddess pantheon (+2 Faith from breathtaking tiles), while Holy Sites give Appeal: they don't have a Faith problem to begin with, while they already have a lot to gain from having Natural Parks. With the addition of the Preserve, the Bull Moose ability is even more powerful. I rather want the bonus to Science and Culture split. Like:
"Breathtaking tiles receive the following yields when adjacent to those tiles: +1 Culture from Woods, +1 Science from Mountain, +2 Culture from Wonder, and +2 Science from Natural Wonders. +1 Appeal in all tiles in cities with a National Park."
You can achieve up to +3 Science and Culture if the tile is next to a Mountain, a Natural Wonder, Woods and a Wonder. Overall, the yield is reduced to +1 since Wonders and Natural Wonders are far less frequent than Mountain and Woods.

Babylonian (Enuma Anu Enlil)
The whole point of the Civilization is having access to Technologies you shouldn't have. Going from 100% to 99% is just a way to push them to do the prerequisite while not forcing them into having Science. People lucky enough to be able to do all of them will still be too powerful. I rather want have an ability less powerful but allowing to still jump in the tech tree, like:
"Eurekas provide double of the Science for technologies. Technologies with completed Eurekas are researchable without completing their prerequisites. -50% Science per turn".
Now there is still a point into having Science in the early game, while not having the sensation of wasting Science.

China (Great Wall)
I remember that in Civilization V that the Great Walls became obsolete at Dynamite. It could be interesting to see something similar to this. Like: "+1 Production at Steel. Great Wall tile improvement does not act like a Fort anymore."

France (all)
It is really confuse to understand the change you want for them. You want Eleanor to build Theatre Square faster, and France having a Spy ability. But what would be the ability of the Black Queen then? France will end up not having a Wonder focus? I think the problem is more global:
→ Wonders are bad Tourism generator. Change the 2 base Tourism to 4 and I think it is honest, or having a flat value that do not increase with era?
→ Tourism has no purpose outside the Culture Victory.
→ In Civilization V, you had some bonus from having very influential on the targeted civilization, like bonus Science from Trade Route, better Spies and city conquest are less problematic. We could have something similar in Civilization VI like having better Loyalty pressure on neighboor that are culturally dominated, and suffer less from their Loyalty pressure, they would have a Combat Strength penalty if they go to war against to a civilization that have Tourism, and so on.​
→ They are very shy on %Production toward wonders. They could add +5% to all wonders production bonus. Like: Autocracy at 15% and becomes the legacy, Iteru at 20%, Grand Tour at 25% and working for late-game wonders as well (Eiffel Tower is Modern, and do not enjoy from France ability...), the policy cards at 20%, and Brussels at 20% as well, while having the Pantheon works for all wonders (as you said).
For France itself, I would say:
• Grand Tour: "+25% Production toward wonders from the medieval to modern era. Tourism from wonders of any era is +100%. Cities receive +5% Culture for each Wonder built."
• Garde Impériale: Add a new melee unit, and make the Garde Impériale a replacement of that unit, so you could upgrade from it.
• Château: Overall, I like your change. Unlocked earlier (at Castles since Château means litteraly Castles, but Feudalism is good), with lesser Culture and bonus that it will recover at Humanism. Change the "Wonder milking" focus into a "Luxury milking one" instead. I put the Culture in the Grand Tour ability. I think it will be better as a Housing/Food/Culture one than a hard Culture one.

Georgia (Tsikhe)
The main reason the Tsikhe is a Renaissance Walls is because they wanted the city to show the unique beauty of walls. If it is an Ancient Wall, it will disappear with the Medieval Walls. I think Georgia need to be reworked. I made a suggestion in a different thread, where I changed the focus into huge Pressure (Loyalty + Religious), and being able to juggle better between Dark Age and Heroic Age while not facing penalties in Dark Age. Here it is:

Kublai Khan:
One way to make use more than once the ability per civilization, and be more balanced should be to receive only 1 boost instead of 2, and make both Kublai Khan and the target civilization enjoy that boost. For example: "One extra Economic policy slot in any government. When establishing a Trading Poist in another Civilization's city, both you and the civilization receive either a random Eureka or Inspiration."
Due to the 3 Economic policy cards bugs at Chiefdom, they should add a new Economic cards, like "+1 Food and +1 Housing in the Capital" just to fill the gap.

Korea (Seowon):
If it is +3 instead of +4, therefore Korea would never enjoy the +50% Science from having a +4 adjacency bonus (the double adjacency does not work for triggering the +50% Science). I think the Seowon should have standard adjacencies from Farms and Mines, and change the Three Kingdoms to something else (like some Defense bonuses?). It is still crazy powerful since you can always have Farms and Mine around it, except if you purposely put it next to a Mountain or the Coast, and can achieve +6 Science. But, you need some builders and make sure to not put districts around it.

Russia (all)
Having only +4 tiles instead of 8 is harsh. +6 seems to be a good compromise: double territory. I wish that bad terrain have additionnal yield so if you are not a desert / tundra civilization, you will not get screwed starting in those terrain. For example, Tundra could be 1 Food and 1 Faith, Desert could be 1 Production and 1 Gold, and you could put Farm on Tundra / Desert tiles with access to fresh water (rivers, oases). If so, then Russia ability would downgrade to only +1 Production to Tundra.
Lavra should maybe work differently: +1 Writer with Shrine, +1 Artist with Temple, and +1 Musician with the third one.
The Grand Embassy should maybe work with Diplomatic Square, but I have no imagination.

Spain (all)
Even if Spain and Byzantium use Religion for Domination, Spain cannot do both at the same time. If he converts, therefore he doesn't enjoy the +4 CS from different religion (up to +8 with Theocracy), and need to use Crusade (+10 CS) to have the best of both world. If you need Crusade to play your game, then you should go for Byzantium. I like the way how you made the Mission relevant in the home continent. Like Georgia, I think Spain needs to be updated to have a real gameplay unique to him. Here: colonisation! I made a suggestion in a different thread. I made the same observations but address the problem differently. Instead of free Prophet point, I gave a +% production to holy site prayers, while I also thougth that the Mission came way too late. Here it is:

Sumeria (War-Cart)
This thing is a Heavy Chariot available earlier, with -10 Production (-15%), +2 Combat Strength, +1 Movement, no Maintenance, and not vulnerable to Anti-cavalry. Can you imagine if the Hoplite where unlocked at the start of the game, for 55 Production, 27 Combat Strength, 3 Movement, no Maintenance and not vulnerable to Melee units?
For me, it is fine that the Heavy Chariot is available at the start of the game. It should also be a replacement of the Heavy Chariot. But, it needs at least to be 65 Production, and be vulnerable to Anticavalry. I think they put the last bonus to deal with Barbarian Outpost which happen to be guard by Spearmen. The ability could be move to the Epic Quest, like "+5 Combat Strength against Barbarians, up to +10 if they are inside a Barbarian Outpost. Receive a Tribal Village reward when clearing a Barbarian Outpost. Pay half the usual cost to levy city-state units".

Military building granting ressource:
I am not against, but should be available througth policies with some downside. If you can dodge the strategic grabing game that easily, then there would be even less tension of being weak and vulnerable because you can't have a proper army. Having free stuff seems a little too easy: it should be conditional
  • +2 Iron for every Barracks.
  • +2 Horses for every Stables.
  • +2 Niter for every Armory.
  • +1 Coal for every Lumber Mills BUT -2 Production to all Lumber Mills. Cities suffer -1 Loyalty for each Lumber Mills they have.
  • +1 Oil for every Farms BUT -2 Food to all Farms. Cities suffer -1 Loyalty for each Farms they have.
  • +1 Aluminum for every Mine BUT -2 Production to all Mines. Cities suffer -1 Loyalty for each Mines they have.
  • +1 Uranium for every cities with Nuclear Power Plant and powered Research Lab BUT -5 Loyalty in cities with a Campus, and in cities with an Industrial Zone.
-America rough rider : i know very well the big stick policy that s why i think my idea of defending friendly territory (global coalition policy effect) fits better the general + 5 on home continent . If you read my idea you will see I don't want to change the double envoy on CS. I would add +1 gold for every envoy (merchant confederation card) and double diplo favors from CS. It can appear op but trust me city states are so easy to kill.
-America bull moose : yeah now with the new district this leader is stronger. So i guess my idea of -50% discount on naturalist can be deleted . But the +1 science/ culture reduction at the beginning needs to stay otherwise is too op.
-Babylon : my idea is reduction to 99 % or maybe to get 100% from eurekas and -50 % science ONLY during ancient and classic era. Which one do you think is best ?
They cannot leave this ability like this because is way too op .
-China : my idea is to improve great wall and UU because honestly they are almost useless.
-Korea : This civ must be nerfed . Seowon to +3 ( or even 2 if they keep giving +1 to adj mines) . The change in the rationalism card was a good move but still need a nerf.
-Russia: i just want to reduce the land bonus (+ 4 instead of +8 is fair enough, I understand Russia is the biggest country on the planet but +8 is too many tiles) and Lavra is the most op Ud in the game (with seowon) so you get great artists points when you build also a Tsquare seems good to balance a bit.
-Military buildings granting resources : they should give a little bit of resources because if you set map on standard strategic maps are really poor. Honestly your suggestion is too confusing and would disrupt the game ( -1 loyalty for farms,mines , lumber mills.....it would not work). Mine is just +1 for every building so with 1 encampment you can at least update 1 unit (to raise city strenght). Regarding this matter they can leave things as they are because this is a good way to stop a science focused civ that reach airplanes or tanks before the others and cannot build them because have no resources so other civs can still compete.
Let me know your thoughts about the other ideas ( pantheons , non unique units, miscellaneous and so on). I edit my first post every time I see a great idea to collect them all.

America (Rough Rider)
I am not against a +7 Combat Strength in friendly territory. Which means that America is even better to defend its own territory: it willl be even more tougher to conquer! You could argue that USA never got really invaded, but having ocean on the East/West, and two weak neighboors in the North/South are probably for something.
I was just pointing out that the Big Stick policy is basicly "the continent is mine". Except with Canada, the USA don't really have a friendly relationship with the majority of countries in the Americas. It is just that the USA are inevitable and have ways to make sure to be in "its side". That is why the +5 CS to continent "fits" better, which include the Manifest Destiny... even if I think the continent system is quite clunky sometimes.
The +5 CS at home continent is more useful for the early game for defending yourself, deals with barbarians or conquer your closest neighboor. The +7 CS is more a defensive tool, that make tougher to conqueer itself or allied city-state, or in the rare case it happens to have a war in a allied territory, but it feels harder to enjoy... except maybe some Apostle shenaningans.

America (Bull Moose)
We clearly agree: +2 Science and Culture from the start is too powerful, and have to be either delayed or tougher to get. We have just different ways to do it:
  • You lock them behind a Technology (Astrology) and a Civic (the Enlightment).
  • I make it harder to enjoy, locking them behind a Wonder and a Natural Wonder.
I believe Astrology is too early: you end up having the bonus delayed for so little time. What I like about my idea is that you can get up to +3 in Science and Culture if you are able to achieve all four conditions, while not having the bonus locked artificially by a era, a tech or something. It is implausible of course of getting all 4 conditions at once, but will feel incredible if done. The "downside" of my idea (even if I believe it is more a change of focus) is that America could reliably have a +3 Culture if it's willing to build wonder and save the woods, but the Science is harder to come by. I think that change is more strategic since the Bull Moose have to work harder and plan better to gain additionnal yield.

Babylon (Enuma Anu Enlil)
I don't know, I dislike artificial lock, either the 99% (not round number) or the era lock. That is why I thought of "Eureka give double the Science" : you still have to research 20% of the remaining Science, meaning that Babylon need Campus if he wants to progress, and the Entertainment Complex / Water Park to keep its population happy because a -10% yield means -60% Science, so -20% Science output, and +10% yield means -40% Science, so +20% Science output. It also means that Pingala and Kilwa Kisiwana for Science purpose have a greater impact on Babylone. An +5% happy city with a +15% Pingala and +30% Kilwa Kisiwani is a +50% Science in the city, but for Babylon going from -50% to 0% means doubling the Science output.
If Babylon cannot ignore Science and have to be careful about Amenities, then it needs to dedicate ressource for his Science progress, meaning he cannot ignore until the Atomic era technology. If you lock the ability only for the first 2 eras, then the ability has no effect after the medieval era, which is quite frustrating. That is why I added the ability to research Technologies with completed Eureka.
I think we agree to disagreeing:
  • You believe that the core gameplay of Babylon is about ignoring Science, and want to delay their game by forcing them to do all the Eureka and and all the prerequisites, even the weirdest one like "having 2 forts in your territory" or "kill a fighter". It rewards more players knowing what they are doing, but allow snowballing.
  • I believe that the core gameplay of Babyon is about researching Technologies that you shouldn't have access, and want to delay their game by forcing them to dedicate ressource into Science like Campus. It always has that feeling of cheating the game, but cannot entirely focus on one thing anymore.

China
Crouching Tiger: it is underwhelming. I think it is weird that we have 2 ranged units unlocked at the same technology, and I rather want the unique unit to be a replacement of the Crossbowmen if the Crouching Tiger gets better while still feel unique. For example: 35 melee strength, 35 ranged strength, 2 range, +15 CS when attacking at melee range.
It is bulkier than the Crossbowman (+5 CS) but weaker at range 2 (-5 CS) even if it is really powerful when attacking at range 1 (+10 CS), while being cheaper (-10%). Perfect for defense on Great Walls, but less for attacking. It is an improvement over the regular Crouching Tiger since it can now attack at range 2 and is bulkier too. Well, some people will argue that even this new Crouching Tiger is garbage because of the -5 Ranged Combat Strength at Range 2, but let's disagree.

Great Wall: I don't think the tile improvement is bad: it is a spammable +4 Culture and +6 Gold tile when all conditions are met. It is just frustrating to use. If it was me, I would decrease its power, but I would it to be less painful to use, and less dependant of adjacent tiles:
  • 1 Culture, 2 Gold and Fort properties. Increase movement cost of the tile at 3 for all non-allied civilization.
    • 1 Culture for each adjacent Great Wall tile improvement, and when adjacent to a Mountain (at Castle technology)
    • 1 Production (at Steel) and is choppable for a flat 20 Production. Non-allied civilization with Steel unlocked ignore the movement cost penalty.
    • Culture generates Tourism (at Flight)
    • 1 Culture (at Cultural Heritage).
Cannot be built adjacent to 2 Great Wall tile improvements.
Removing a Great Wall tile improvement cost a Builder charge.
Great Wall tile improvement are not removed when a Chinese city is conquered or razed, when a culture bomb grab tiles with the Great Wall improvement, when a non-Chinese city borders extend to a tile with the Great Wall tile improvement, or by a Disaster.
Can be built on any tile inside your territory, not only those at the border.
Can also be built on neutral tile adjacent to the border of your territory.
Can be built on every land terrain feature (woods, marsh, rainforest, volcanic soil, geothermal fissure...) and on every ressources (bonus, strategic, luxury, ley lines...) without removing them first. Those features and ressources still exist with the Great Walls on it, and enjoy the additionnal yield they give, but you cannot enjoy the stockpiling of Strategic or the Amenites for luxuries.
It is possible to chop the woods, marsh, rainforest or the bonus ressource on a tile with the Great Wall without removing the Great Wall improvement.

Oh yeah, a lot of side description. Basicly, the Great Wall is undestructible except you remove them yourself with a Builder, allow to slow down your enemy in the early game, and are buildable everywhere, even on ressource or neutral tile adjacent to your border. The additionnal movement cost already exist on the Polder tile improvement, so I know it is doable. The Culture can go technically higher (5 instead of 4) but this when you reach the endgame and all the conditions, but it is lower in most of the game (well: you get at least 1 Culture before Castle). All the others yield are lower: 2 Gold and 1 Production instead of 6 Gold, and only at Steel for Production. But since you can enjoy the additionnal yield from feature and ressource, I think it is even. Or even better since the Great Wall improvement is far more flexible to use.

Korea (Seowon)
Yeah, this civilization is absurd. It has so much Science boost: Seowon at +4, mine adjacent to Seowon with +1 Science, and cities has +X% Science with a Governors. Downgrading the Seowon from a flat +4 to a flat +3, meaning that they would never enjoy the Rationalism policy card feels wrong, while I do not think it will solve the problem, just delay for a bit. The Seowon strength come from:
  1. Being cheaper than a regular Campus
  2. Enjoy the flat bonus without working for it, even if you have to preserve it.
For point 1, I do not understand why all unique district have half cost. It make sense for the Oppidum or the Suguba, but the Seowon or the Hansa shouldn't enjoy it, even if Korea have to sacrifice a Hill for its Seowon.
For point 2, this is subjective. The core identity of the Seowon come from having flat Science. But having them from turn 1 at completion is too powerful, even at +3. Just build a Seowon in a corner, and don't touch it.
That is why I think it should be full price, start at 0 Science, gain +1 Science per adjacent Mines and Farms, but -1 Science per adjacent Districts. You need to improve the tiles around the Seowon (so up to 6 charges, even more with chop), and you cannot corner them into the Coast, Mountain or Geothermal Fissure because you cannot build Farms / Mines around it to build up its Science. Sure, the Science adjacency can be higher... but the Seowon now take more room in your empire which means more opportunity cost. And since you have to put on a Hill, you cannot put it everywhere you want so cannot do a triangle city dedicated to Seowon on the middle because it is not reliable.
But this is subjective: feel free to disagree.

Russia (Lavra)
We agree: those extra points are too powerful and too easy to get, and need a prerequisite. It is too easy to get those. We just have different way to lock them:
  • You lock them behing a Theatre Square, meaning one additional district slot and unlocking Drama and Poetry. Bigger prerequisite but when done, you unlock all 3 points.
  • I lock them behing the Holy Site building, meaning Theology and Temple for Great Artists to kick in, and Religion and Worship Belief for Great Musician to kick in. More progressive.
Either are good, just different execution.

Startegic Ressources:
Let's agree to disagree. I find it to easy to just build military building to enjoy strategic ressource. There is no competition. Why even settle a bad area just for its ressources? If some free strategic ressource has to be created ex nihilo, it should be like Dark policies: it needs some drawback, and you shouldn't run it too long before before facing consequences. That is why it has decreased yield (Lumber Mill for Charcoal, but all that Production goes into created that Coal, Farms for biofuel, but all that lost Food goes into creating that Oil...), and if you do not change policy quick enough, some cities could rebel.

For Pantheon:
  • Religious Settlements: Yeah, the settler is too much. Why removing the border expansion rate? It can have both! Like: "Border expansion rate is 20% faster, and plot purchase cost is 20% cheaper."
  • Fire Goddess: I don't know. It is rare to have a cluster of Geothermal Fissures, even if it can happen. But it is not the case for Volcanic Soil, and it will be broken with Ethiopia to have free +4 Faith for Rock-Hewd Church that translate to +4 free Tourism. But when I think more about it... Volcanic Soil, with Eiffel Tower, is generally 1 Appeal away from triggering Earth Goddess, which also give +2 Faith. It could give Science instead, and have our first Science Pantheon. So I am more for "+2 Science from Geothermal Fissures and Volcanic Soil".
  • Initiation Rites: the initial ability has its use on raging barbarians option. But I like the idea. You could go even further: "Trained Military units start with a Promotion".
  • Fertility Rites: This is too much: Growth and Food and Builder?! You need to spread the abilities. The Growth could be stronger since the main thing halting growth is the lack of Housing.
    • Fertility Rites: City growth rate is 20% higher.
      • If we really wanted to make it powerful: Fertility Rites: City growth rate is 10% higher, and start with 1 additionnal Population.
    • Wise God: When chosen receive a Builder in your Capital. Palace provides +1 Housing, +1 Amenity and +2 Food.
    • Sun God: +1 Food for each Maize, Rice and Wheat.
  • Religious Idols / Monument of the Gods / Stone Circles: I am all good. Stone Circles is crazy good but carries are not that common.
  • God of War: I think the idea is far better than the Faith from kill at arbitrary distance from a Holy Site that will be go obsolete in later era.

Non unique unit:

Before we start, I think the game should rework how the whole Strategic Cost Maintenance (Coal, Oil, Uranium) works:
  • There is strategic cost at production, and strategic maintenance. For example, Infantry could use Niter to produce, and Tank could use Oil to maintain. Which means Tank could use Iron instead in order to be produced.
  • Starting a Tech or a Civic (like Combustion), all non-mechanical units have the ability to consume 1 Oil to double its movement for the turn. For example, the Infantry is 2 Movement with no Oil maintenance. But you can consume 1 Oil to be at 4 Movement for 1 turn.
  • Mechanical units (planes, tanks...) consume 1 Oil per turn if they attack, get attacked or move during the turn. They cannot consume 1 extra Oil for double movement. Mechanical units when there is no Oil left has -2 Movement and -10 CS while Planes cannot be used.
  • Cavalry units like Horsemen and Knight could have Horses as Strategic maintenance.
  • Heavy cavalry could be those super unit that need 2 different Strategic Cost. For example: Knight & Cuirassier with 10 Iron and Horses while having 1 Horse per turn as maintenance, and Tank & Modern Armor with 10 Iron and Coal (for Steel), while having 1 Oil per turn as maintenance.
  • Light Cavalry could only use 20 Horses for Horsemen, Courser & Cavalry with 1 Horse per turn as maintenance, and 20 Aluminium for Helicopter with 1 Oil per turn as maintenance (you can now build Tank even if you do not own Oil, since you don't need Oil to produce).
  • Some new policy cards should be implemented:
  • Defense of the Motherland: Units does not consume Strategic Ressource when attacking, defending or moving inside your territory, and does not suffer penalty from lack of Strategic Ressource.
  • Iron retrieval: +2 Iron from Barracks
  • Horses livestock: +2 Horses from Stables.
  • Artificer trick: +1 Niter from Armory.
  • Charcoal production: +1 Coal and -1 Production per Lumber Mill. -2 Appeal for Lumber Mills.
  • Biofuel production: +1 Oil and -2 Food per Farms. -5 Loyalty for straving cities.
  • Aluminum extraction: +1 Aluminum and -3 Production per Mines.

• Quadrireme: Having them shooting at melee make sense... but it is really underwhelming. I am all for a 2 Range. The thing is: Barbarians. We need that Barbarians do not generate Quadrireme before the classical era, so no Maritime barbarians during the ancient era. Or only througth Galley that are the Scout of Barbarians.
  • For Helicopters: see my Strategic Ressource maintenance rework. Basicly: need Aluminum to produce, and Oil to maintain.
  • For Infantry: Same from above: use Niter/Nothing to produce, and is able to consume 1 Oil to gain 2 extra Movement for the turn.
  • Military Engineer: Improving your land with railroad is a task needing patience. I will go even further: 4 Movement, no charge consumption when creating road/railroad, using an action remove 1 Movement instead of ending the turn.
  • Why reduce the Production of Knight or Courser? Isn't the Horseman so good that the Courser feels underwhelming? I understand for the Courser since he is not that powerful (or Horsemen are way too powerful), but it is a 5 Movement with 44 CS with -20 Production.
  • What's the point of moving the Pikemen to Stirrups? I do not understand. That Pikeman is great where it is: a defense for those who want to tech in naval. If a change has to be done, it is more with Spearman, or the Eureka Military Tactics for something like "own 2 spearmen".
  • I guess Siege units could have a defense against ranged attack. Also, Artillery shouldn't have Oil maintenance as well but maybe with lower Bombard strength, that is quite safe in conjunction with an Observation Balloon.
  • I don't know why Privateers should go to Exploration. I believe it is going to give an edge so powerful since you can focus the upper part of the civic, gain exploration and the unit, and right away train the Privateers with the +100% card while having 50 Ranged Strength unit around with no Strategic Ressource that will make your cities with walls extremely tough.

Unfortunately, I am not smart enough to really understand how all of this are going to be when it will in the game. Writing this took my hours, and I still think I didn't develop and think it fully through.

America rough rider: the combat bonus is the least important of my proposal . I would like to add something to america bonus so this is what matters : +100% diplomatic favor for each turn starting as Suzerain of a city sat-state and +1 gold for each city states envoy ( city states are easy to kill so this is not as op as it could seem) . And america (both of them )cannot lose diplo favors for any reason (pollution , enemy capital taken or grievances).
Babylon and China :are basically mods ideas.
Korea: seowon plus 3 is a must. Korea is way too op . You can get the rationalism bonus even if seowon is nerfed at +3 if you also run the natural philosophy (so you have to keep both cards on to have great science output, a good idea to weaken korea)
Russia : you get half territory (only +4 tiles) and you get great people only if you build a ts in the same city of holy site is a great idea ( tested on a mod) . Otherwise russia is just a click to win civ . You get artists and faith for rock bands , honestly too unfair.
Fire goddess and pantheons : you say it will be broken for ethiopia. Correct, I totally agree. But not for the rest of the civs. Pantheons should be all good . There are pantheons that are never chosen .I am tired to see always the same choices . They need to be fixed .My pantheon ideas are tested on mods (except religious settlement that is completely my idea) and they work fine .
Strategic resources : I don't agree with your ideas. The system is good right now ( horse, iron , niter units don't require maintenance resources and that's fine) . I just proposed military buildings to give +1 of resources only because they are so rare on normal resources maps . But this idea is something they can leave the way it is. It's good in order to stop a science leader (for example a science leader rush planes and have no alum so less science focused civs get a chance to attack them).
I agree siege units should get a defense bonus against ranged attacks because they are too fragile.
Anti-cav units should have a zone of control for heavy/light cavalry only , they are completely useless right now ( I only build anti-cav UU to get the era scores and that's it).

Rough Rider
I do not understand why you want the Rough Rider Teddy persona to be the best at Diplomatic Favor generation. You want him to enjoy the Országház wonder effect, plus the Merchant Confederation diplomatic policy card, and be immune to penalties including the one created to prevent to win a Diplomatic Victory by being a warmonger, when winning a Diplomatic VIctory was done by removing competition. This is completely broken. Isn't the Rough Rider ability already great? Sure, Bull Moose is better, but that ability is completely broken.

America is actually one of the best at Diplomatic Favor generator in the game. It has +2 with under Classical Republic / Oligarchy, +3 under Merchant Republic, +4 under Democracy, and +8 under Digital Democracy. Building the Forbidden City or the Potala Palace yield +1. On top of that, Rough Rider Teddy makes City-State suzerain easier to get, for additionnal Diplomatic Favor generation. Since Wisselbanken and Democracy legacy now work with City-State, and Raj adds +2 Gold to trade Route, trading with them are not a waste anymore.

Looking at this, America is better than Canada at Diplomatic Favor generation for almost all the game. Canada might outgenerate in the end game, but America would have accumulated for so long it will be impossible to really catch. Only Sweden could be better if it has a huge focus on Great People generation, but the civilization is all about that and some Culture tricks. If Sweden cannot even be the best a Diplomatic Favor, well that civilization will have nothing for it.

Why do you want to make the Bull Moose absolutely powerful? I believe the ability is already incredible.

Great Wall:
Basically, I want it to be act as feature, like you would plant Wood on a tile. This is a crazy idea, but it would make more sense. Since Marsh can appear on a Floodplains (feature on feature), features can have increased yields with tech / civic (like Woods / Rainforest as Maori), I believe it is doable to have a Great Wall as a feature that you can put on Woods / Rainforests / Marsh / Floodplains, with increased yield with the Civic / Tech tree. I just hope that you can put that feature over everything, including luxuries / strategic.
But overall: I wasn't a fan of unique tile improvement to be destroyed once the city is captured.

Korea:
This is where you are wrong: Rationalism only works if the base adjacency is 4 or greater. I made some tests back then. Even if you go to 6 Science with Natural Philosophy or Five-Year Plan, it will not work sadly because the base yield was 3. Therefore, Korea will never enjoy fully the Rationalism card.

Rough rider: Unique building comes too late. Unique plane comes too late. The rough rider unit is not one of the most impressive uu . So the only real bonus rr teddy has is the +5 . Double envoy to cs is too underpowered . Even if they add my ideas (double favors for suzerain, gold for every envoy ) it will not be op trust me. I usually play multiplayer and city states don't last long (even if you play single player AI on high difficulty is pretty good to take cs). City states are easy to kill so rr teddy would easily lose all these abilities i am proposing. The immunity to penalty maybe would make him too strong for a diplo vic so I think that is not necessary. But they should lower the penalty for taking capital to -2 (-5 is too much). Just to be clear I don't want rough rider america op ( I am not even american ) but he is weak compared to nfp standards (the other teddy is too good ).
Great wall: my idea is basically from a mod ( you know which one i guess) and it works fine there.
Korea : I just tested the natural philosophy and rationalism card and you are right (the +4 must be base adj) . I thought they worked together. Do you think it is a bug? Because if I remember correctly before the rationalism nerf they worked together . Btw this means only few civs can reach the +4 base adj (korea,japan,australia,maya) , other civs need to be really lucky with mountains or fissure. This new rationalism card lower korea space race but still I am for a +3 seowon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom