Ideas to revive the Civ2 Demogame

Status
Not open for further replies.

GenMarshall

High Elven ISB Capt & Ghost Agent
Night Haven, Vekta, United Systems of Korpulu
Hmm, are there any ideas to revive the Civ2 Demogame back to its former glory? Please post any Ideas you have.

I was thinking of advertising this game in the main page of CFC.

One idea was to start war-mongering immediately. Maybe we should rush to armor in demofirst, switch to fundy and then take our enemies as fast as we can. I could play the turns in demo soon, maybe tomorrow (important election here tomorrow though...).

Maybe advertising in the Civ III demogame forum would help - maybe try and catch people who are relatively new to Civ, or remind others what a great game Civ II is.

I was formely very interested in ;
I don't know why, but it lost a lot of interest for me ; but it's not due to the DG, but sometime, real life take you so much time.... !
(I bought a new home, we prepare every thing for our second child, and so...)

Maybe we need to try a slightly different format. We could turn it into a multiplayer demogame, but we'd need lots more people. We may find recruits in the MP and PBEM forum.

better yet, make it an MP scenario of WWII. Some ppl will be the axis, others the allies, kinda interesting to see who'll actually win

The WWII thing doesn't sound bad..I don't think we'd need quite as many/the same cabinet positions though...maybe a president spot, DoD spot, R&D spot, and a "secretary of state" which can handle both domestic and foreign affairs. Natually each side would need each four, so instead of needing 10 cabinet members total, we'd only need 8. Maybe have actual negotiations on here between the two sides such as a cease fire in a given area only, or agreements not to attack here and there, whatever. Also, we might need to break this down into three forums...one for general things which is open to both sides, one for the Axis and one for the Allies, both needing passwords to enter. Citizens would need to declare which side they favor...but every time someone leaves one side or something of that nature, we'd have to change the password. That's the only downside I see to it, but it's nothing we can't deal with as long as an e-mail network is kept alive.

Sounds like cool beans in the early stages to me...

I don't think more people is going to happen; at least not for any sort of sustained period.

Each game we start with more players than we end with. Each new game starts with less players than the game before it. Each game has ended (ending) with a skeleton crew.

I would rather have the next game not start than have it die halfway through.

If we wanted to do the WWII scenario (which, if we did, I would want us to use the ZWK scenario since it is very Multiplayer friendly) I might be able to handle playing the three allied players against the group playing the two Axis players (or vice-versa).

Originally posted by H Tower
Well, you could come play with us at apolyton, we're still going strong :b:

link ?

There's the Civ II multi-player demo game at Gamecatcher . There's quite a few members there that used to post regularly in this game.

And we could always start more Succession games.

Originally posted by Jayne

And we could always start more Succession games.

Sounds good to me. :D

By the time I check the Demo game someone else made the advice I wanted to offer.

Three thoughts -- I'm hooked into a "Demogame" over at 'Poly for MOO2 -- but it is zoooooming along; my first recommendation is to speed up this game if it seems that interest begins to wane (after all, it does look like a won game).

The second is to shift up the votes and parameters a notch -- ask for strategic decisions (wartime tech path through howies?) Who to take out next?

Final thought might be to wind this down AS a succession game -- rotate four turns at a time through the remaining citizens with appropriate comments, screen shots and advice.

Good job for the partipants to date -- I've enjoyed reading up & learning about many of the early thoughts. :goodjob:

Involve everyone? I’m new, but isn’t there a way everyone can play? Ever watch someone else play a computer or video game? Boring isn’t it? About the only thing worse, is some new guy that comes along with stupid ideas, wanting to change everything!

Being new and inexperienced, I’d be willing to wait for the last settler produced. I’d do irrigation, mining, for the supporting city before I left, and roadwork en route to freedom. Then let me build my own city, be the mayor, subject to the chain of command of course!
Or let me be a horseman! Say, “go explore north”; I might even tip a hut that has an advanced tribe! Or if I screw up and get killed.. maybe I get demoted to a warrior garrisoned, fortified at the palace.. And it would add a little more realism, people screw-up! Or give me a ship. a dip and a horse and let me explore!

Yeah the logistics of everyone moving just their entity, saving the game, returning it to central command or e-mailing it to the next in line… and then you’ve got co-coordinated attacks etc., but that’s why you’ve got chain of command, your superior moves if you miss your turn or disobey orders/incompetence... hey you guys are the experts!

I signed up for the last one as an observer, and really enjoyed it because it was like an ongoing tutorial… I learned so much! But real life has its priorities and when I got back, I was lost. Add to that the probability that I’d never get to actually play…(what are the odds of a newbie being president?)
But a mayor from a small out post might become a governor, a deputy domestic advisor, cabinet member… based on merit. A warrior (private?) might advance to command a squad, platoon, company… deputy military advisor.. at least be able to show ability/ or not, in a small way.

But like I said, I’m new.. This was probably all hashed out before, but I couldn’t find any references…

just a thought... peace

Is this an ongoing problem, or has it got something to do with the recent conquests release?

How about the demogames moving faster? As a suggestion, play along with the next Civ II GOTM. A bit of a spoiler for people playing in that, but might be manageable.:)

:blush: Oops - just saw when this thread was started...

I don't come here very often, although I used to lurk a bit to see where you guys were at.

Originally posted by ainwood
I don't come here very often, although I used to lurk a bit to see where you guys were at.
Well, we're looking for candidates who want to play, post in the turn thread or PM DoM if you're interested.:)

I've put a link to this forum in my sigs both here and at Gamecatcher hoping it may encourage some more people to come and help us get a new game going.

Just wondering what version this is all played in?
I have test of time,and just curious,If you need more players I will help wherever I can.
Demo games sound like a lot of fun.But I am one of those newbies mentioned earlier.

We play 2.42, so that everyone can at least download and look at the game.

Being a newbie isn't really a problem, bu we actually don't have that many turns left to play, and it'll probably be the last game unfortunately.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom