Idiot mistakes 101

Sent an elite unit on a 6 turn ocean voyage thinking he'd get some easy experience from the barbarians in the new world. Forgot barbarians don't give experience past 10 points.

gmanne said:
... well, that is cleverer than anything else I'll read today

Deepest apologies. I'll try to keep the (feeble) humor out of these serious threads. *patpat*

I do like your sig though. Is it authentic? What's the context? Old Woodrow is a bit of a local hero.

Didn't read the whole thread, but here's the most stupid thing I've done (repeatedly): switching civics during a golden age, thereby losing a turn of double production...

Happened because I got nationalism, built the Taj Mahal, then during the GA I got democracy and switched to emancipation. For some reason I've had it happen several times :)

Meffy said:
I do like your sig though. Is it authentic? What's the context? Old Woodrow is a bit of a local hero.

Wilson had strong views on the conservative nature of Congress, he saw most politicians as self-serving and lacking in vision. Go figure. His more well known quote on the topic, 'A conservative is a man who just sits and thinks, mostly sits'.

Enough OT though: Could not figure out why as Saladin I was not getting Great Persons falling from the sky like ripe peachy mana. Penny dropped when I remembered Saladin was last game ... I was playing Catherine now and had been for 30 turns. Too much CIV perhaps? :crazyeye:

Yeah, the whole civic-switching during a golden age thing has come up a few times...oh well. It's good to know I have company, and lots of it!

Ramping up Gunship production in preparation for my assault on Washington's Mechanized Infantry fortified cities.

The gunships (w/+100% vs Armored Units) bounced off the fortified mechanized infantry (Gunpowder Units).

gmanne said:
Enough OT though: Could not figure out why as Saladin I was not getting Great Persons falling from the sky like ripe peachy mana. Penny dropped when I remembered Saladin was last game ... I was playing Catherine now and had been for 30 turns. Too much CIV perhaps? :crazyeye:

:rotfl:

Wow, that is one of those "You know you've been playing too much civ" moments... when you forget the leader you're playing as!

Sitting down to play an online game with my mate and a few other AIs thrown in.

A few hundred turns into the game, we're both marvelling at the fact that we've both landed on our own continents with no AI in sight.

In fact, no we haven't, I've just forgtton to put the AI in.

Having a four man worker crew spend a century or so clearing out jungle squares and setting out a road network while my nearest city built a settler.

Making it very handy for the Egyptians to move in and build a city on the same turn the work was complete and my settler was complete. :(

Here's one by the AI (Asoka). He and I are both building railways: I am using mine to improve Mines and link my major cities. He has a remote city, cut off from the rest of his lands by my domain. Instead of developing his principal territory he has squads of workers laying a railway right across the northern tundra of my lands, in the process doing useful work for me. His motive is, clearly, that his remote city was founded some 100 years ago, next to a tile on which Uranium later appeared - yet more Crystal Ball.
Now, his remote city is inland. When war starts, and it will, with any luck he'll be cut off when Open Borders is cancelled. I may do that anyway when his railway is finished, just to be spiteful.

OK i have one me and my buddy played our first lan game. he makes a new city places it and a few turns later notices some barbs coming to take the city. we have made contact by now so we do what we always did in CIv3 he sent me all his money so when the barbs break through they dont take all his money. and bang they attack ,we wait to see what improvement they destroy and BANG :eek: THEY RAZE THE CITY AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

One of the major idiot mistakes I make most of the time is neglecting defense in favor of city improvement. I was playing as Bismarck (since I find Industrious and Expansive a good trait combination and come from Germany anyway) on a Noble Continental map and was hemmed in by three civs - Saladin was in the West, Vicky was in the South, Isabella was in the South East. Centurys ago I had already wrested two cities off Isabella's realm and was now entering the 20th century. I was thinking: Hey, let's just skip building riflemen for city defense - Assembly Line will come in 7 turns anyway. This proved to be a major blunder. I had barely finished the Pentagon in my best production town and was setting up Infantry production for city defense purposes at last, when I heard that dreaded War Declare horn. Saladin - who had always been pleased with me - hat mustered two stacks with a combined 20 cavalrys, a stack with 7 infantrys was already on the way to my border. I spent all my money on upgrading my macemen to infantrys, but I couldn't withstand. Then I heard another horn sound and thought hopefully: "Hey, good ol' Vicky is gonna help me out !". Yes, Vicky was declaring war - but on me !!! She had been as pleased as Saladin with me, but she thought she oughta have some pieces of the cake for her own. Why not, it was easy going.

Will I ever learn that the AI takes every chance it sees ? Will I ever learn to muster such forces that I can withstand ? Will be interesting to see in the future...

Regards,

Lord Timon

Timon of Athens said:
Will I ever learn that the AI takes every chance it sees ? Will I ever learn to muster such forces that I can withstand ? Will be interesting to see in the future...

Regards,

Lord Timon

My mistake exactly, most of time if not always.... "I need peace for ten more turns and I'll have my infantries in place to discourage easy picking attacks. I just hurry those factories to get infantires pronto"... my butt.....

In my capital I had founded hinduism,buddhism,judaism, I get a great prophet and I decide to build a relegious wonder but I built the one that was not my state religion. oop.
:mad:

Had a destroyer out in the open ocean and clicked it to go its full 8 tiles diagonally so as to screen a damaged battleship from the enemy shore and port. As it flashed across its movement tiles it showed an enemy sub at the limit of visibility, just for an instant. Next turn the sub sank my battleship and vanished from my sight.
Moral: in wartime, move ships tile by tile, and I suppose the same is true for all units.

I'm mostly stunned by how stupid the computer THINKS I am: Would I like to trade Uranium for sheep? Uh, NO! How about a cow... don't think so.

My biggest mistake is not checking the speed I was playing at. I had it on a "fast" game, but was playing like it was going to be a very long game. So I build a million swordsmen and attack china... only to learn they have knights. I thought things were moving a little fast. . .

And why does the computer think Coal is gold? My railroads will help him. I give them the coal if they'll build railroads.

I read a post recently that encouraged pillaging the other guy for money. This doesn't make sense to me; if you're going to take the city, don't you want to keep the improvements?

what if you don't want another city due to maintenance costs?

Lord Olleus said:
what if you don't want another city due to maintenance costs?

Give it away. If you don't want it, surrounded it with tanks, give it away, attack it and raze it. Or raise taxes...

Top Bottom