If an ice cube melts in your glass does it overflow?

Even though life expectancy was pretty low among factory workers in a lot of cities, the general increase in purchasing power, food, sanitation, better housing and technology led to a net increase in life expectancy in the population. No doubt reduced child mortality played a huge part in this, but it's hard to seperate the positive effects of industrialization from the negative when the effects are net positive.

Civilization 4 had a nice "health" mechanic that adressed industrialization & exactly the balancing of rapid industrial growth vs smog & health. Of course, statistically speaking, it hugely overrepresented the negative effects. That is always a danger in games, that you overrepresent something to make a 'fun' game. I usually accept that as long as it is done in good faith & not to 'educate' me.

In civ 6 pollution is largely not adressed. Climate effects will apparently be strongly exaggerated, which might be acceptable to make the game 'fun'. However, you need to differentiate between prediction & experimental proof. We are always very proud of our natural science in our western 'civilization' & that includes that the experiment is always right. Predictions have to be taken with a grain of salt, especially if they are taken up by political parties on both sides.

If I then see that the climate model only consist of CO2, disasters, dimming & pollution is not adressed - while, at the same time, apparently military units(?) produce CO2, I'm a bit irritated. I then get the impression that this is about a pacifistic world view, not so much about pollution or potential climate effects.

If I then see that the climate model only consist of CO2, disasters, dimming & pollution is not adressed - while, at the same time, apparently military units(?) produce CO2, I'm a bit irritated. I then get the impression that this is about a pacifistic world view, not so much about pollution or potential climate effects.
Well there aren't personal automobiles, so of course the vehicles that do exist in the game will be exaggerated.

I would have liked to see land terrain transformation too, especially in the higher global warming tiers.

Snow -> Tundra
Tundra -> Plains
Grassland -> Plains
Plains -> Desert

Probably a little extra and annoying for gameplay though.

I would have liked to see land terrain transformation too, especially in the higher global warming tiers.

Snow -> Tundra
Tundra -> Plains
Grassland -> Plains
Plains -> Desert

I'd like it to, but at the very least I wish we had a feature that can't be removed that removes yields, so it simulates that, I don't think the engine can actually handle terraforming very well.

I'd like it to, but at the very least I wish we had a feature that can't be removed that removes yields, so it simulates that, I don't think the engine can actually handle terraforming very well.

Yeah might have been far easier to just remove features over water rather than outright change terrain.

Maybe Forest fires *thinking*

Yeah might have been far easier to just remove features over water rather than outright change terrain.

Shouldn't be too hard to mod to be perfectly honest, hopefully they exposed climate change stuff in lua so an event can be fired.

Snow -> Tundra
Tundra -> Plains
Grassland -> Plains
Plains -> Desert

There is apparently a huge amount of methane, a greenhouse gas, locked beneath the permafrost of the tundras worldwide. Tundras defrosting would seriously accelerate global warning.

Snow -> Tundra
Tundra -> Plains
Grassland -> Plains
Plains -> Desert

I think it would be very interesting to have in the future era terraforming.

From what I seen in gameplay, there seems to be no way to stop global warming. The AI certainly isn't going to do anything about it, they are the greatest causes. May as well just burn coal and go all out.

I actually feel it goes too fast in game. But then again, so do the eras, so they need to go fast in order for you to actually see these effects in game.

How do you know there is no land ice in Civ?

We've never actually played a Civ where there were true polar regions. Perhaps the "caps" on the cylindrical Civ maps are completely filled with Antarctica-like land ice.

If this tube was the worlds water that would be a pretty awesome iceberg as 90% of an iceberg is underwater. How long is that tube?
Roughly 1.7% of the worlds water is ice.
View attachment 516978

As a wise man told me a few years ago, there is a lot of money and agendas to be made in global warming. Whether it really is an issue or not will be hard to discover as there will be a lot of disinformation.

This is fair. While I think it's quite likely we're having an impact the jury is definitely out on exactly how much harm it is doing. For most folks it's a very amorphous concept that corporations and politicans have clearly pushed so they could abuse it for $$ or political mandate. Not denying, just being realistically anti-corruption. I think a much more immediate concern is deforestation, losing entire species, plastic pollution, etc. Particularly deforestation as it's the planet's self regulatory mechanism. Sea, temperature and CO2 levels have all fluctuated over the millennia and the planet has been fine- remove the mechanisms the planet uses to rebound from extremes and then you have a truly dire problem.

From what I seen in gameplay, there seems to be no way to stop global warming. The AI certainly isn't going to do anything about it, they are the greatest causes. May as well just burn coal and go all out.

I actually feel it goes too fast in game. But then again, so do the eras, so they need to go fast in order for you to actually see these effects in game.

Welcome to climate change politics

It does seem annoying that storms seem to be a potential good (boosted fertility)... more desertification should be a result
ideal would be
Snow->Tundra (end point)
Grassland->Plains->Desert (end point)

with forests dying off if their tile would be terraformed (and preventing the base terrain from terraforming)

/puts on best Karl Pilkington impression:

"plus, if a huge iceberg melts into the ocean, its just gonna make the water freezing, and it's just gonna freeze back up into ice again"

I will not enter into the political debate, though I have a clear position (suffices to say that I believe any person who says "the science is settled" is a scientific ignorant, as science can never be settled by definition... it's a dynamic concept and will ever be, lest we stop evolving it).

Focusing on gameplay, I think the mechanic as seen so far falls short. If they wanted CC to be a real factor in the game, it should be much more punishing. It also should allow for counter mechanisms, like we see right now in real life (without judging their effectiveness or morality, just approaching them in gameplay terms)... for example, where are the WC resolutions that would try to enforce measures "before it's too late"? As it stands now, CC and its effects are basically inevitable, but at the same time, the effects are really not bad... after 3 steps of rising water, not much changed in the maps I have seen... why are the waters not rising the rivers also (dam effect of rising oceans)? Why are forests not drying, or grasslands?

Either we go down the path all the way, or we don't... right now, CC seems, once again, too "forgiving"... (but without real countering mechanisms at the global stage).

Why are forests not drying, or grasslands?

really? :rolleyes: The science is settled. We had high CO2 levels 65 million years ago. And guess what? The forests weren't all dry.

really? :rolleyes: The science is settled. We had high CO2 levels 65 million years ago. And guess what? The forests weren't all dry.

Yes, good point, I did not think of that in my example (I was talking gameplay only); in fact, they were gigantic forests. But the point still remains: CC in GS is too forgiving (in gameplay).

No science is ever settled, or it is not science.

Top Bottom