• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

If you don't use a Social Policy point immediately you lose it.....

jjkrause84

King
So, here I was....in a Golden Age and got the ability to pick a new SP. Cool!

One available was to start down the Rationalism tree which, of course, starts a golden age. Duuuude! So, I decide to wait til the end of my Golden Age (3 more turns) then spend my SP point on the golden age. My GA ends and I go into the SP screen and...wait...what? MY POINT WAS GONE!!!

Oh, maybe (because the UI is still utterly half-baked...hopefully it won't be forever) I can only spend SP points when I cross the boundary for a new one (i.e. I'll have to spend two at the same time). I wait for the next SP to pop and...nope! I literally lost an entire culture point because didn't use that one right away.

Major flaw..... :mad:

It didn't work that way for me. You may have hit a bug somewhere. I got a policy point, decided I wanted to wait for medieval tech to finish so I could pick up Commerce, once I finally remembered to spend that point I had already accrued enough Culture for a second policy and picked up 2 at once.

One available was to start down the Rationalism tree which, of course, starts a golden age. Duuuude! So, I decide to wait til the end of my Golden Age (3 more turns) then spend my SP point on the golden age. My GA ends and I go into the SP screen and...wait...what? MY POINT WAS GONE!!!

Oh, maybe (because the UI is still utterly half-baked...hopefully it won't be forever) I can only spend SP points when I cross the boundary for a new one (i.e. I'll have to spend two at the same time). I wait for the next SP to pop and...nope! I literally lost an entire culture point because didn't use that one right away.

If this is a bug, it's a new one, because I've put off purchasing a new social policy by a couple turns for the exact same reason before, and didn't wait until I'd earned another to spend two at one.

1) If you earn an extra golden age while one is in progress (through a social poicy or wonder, for example), the amount of turns of the new GA will just be added to the current one, so you don't lose anything by just taking it as soon as possible instead of delaying.

2) I've put off social policy choices plenty of times before. The points to spend just keep pooling, and showing up as points "out of" a lower number, so ready to spend anytime. Did you settle a new city somewhere in between these events, thereby increasing the price of the next social policy and pricing yourself out of it, perhaps?

Funny how people are so desperate to bash civ V that they are now making negative stuff up...

Either that or it is some new bug that I haven't heard of...

Not true.

Plus why wait till after your golden age to extend it?

Not true.

Plus why wait till after your golden age to extend it?

Yeah, you can add more golden ages to a currently operating one. I had enough going at one point that I had 30 turns of golden age.:D It was great. (the wonder that gives you long ones, the taj majal, the lourve, extra generals. . . )

Is it possible you picked up a few more cities in between there? That might have raised the cost for the policy so that you no longer qualify. One thing I've learned is that if you're burning a city when your policy is earned, wait for the city to finish burning before you adopt it.

Is it possible you picked up a few more cities in between there? That might have raised the cost for the policy so that you no longer qualify. One thing I've learned is that if you're burning a city when your policy is earned, wait for the city to finish burning before you adopt it.

THat should not be correct.If you have the point it is because of past things and should not disappear.It is either a bug with the new patch or a lie.

THat should not be correct.If you have the point it is because of past things and should not disappear.It is either a bug with the new patch or a lie.
What? You're off here, way off. If you build another city (and the cultural cost to adopt a policy goes up), then it doesn't matter whether you previously could adopt a policy. You won't be able to until your culture is enough to pay for the new, raised cost.

If you haven't spent the policy yet, the points are stilled pooled. If you build or capture more cities, the price will go up, possibly out of the range of points you originally qualified for. This is not a bug and a very logical train of thought.

You don't get "one SP point". You get culture points. These are just the cultural output of your civ, accumulated over turns. They don't magically transform into "SP points". Instead, there is a cost for the next SP you adopt that depends on how many cities you have. If you acquire more cities, that cost goes up and you may no longer have enough culture points to buy the next SP.

Your supposed to be able to save culture to be able to spend it later, i.e save for a better branch, so theirs a few things that might of happend.

1. You settled/Annexed a new city whilst waiting those 3 turns, this caused your Policy cost to jump up thus you no longer had one available, and would need to wait for the new limit to be reached.

2. You accidentally spent the culture on a social policy without realising.

3. You got hit with a bug.

If you can rule out 1+2, then post in the bugs section with as much detail as possible on what exactly you did while this culture disapeared.

Slightly related, but not really, is when you build the wonder that gives you a free technology, and it finishes when you have one turn left on your current research, you can't save the free tech a turn. I had to waste that bonus completely on something I'd already researched 90%.

But that's the only weird thing I've seen in that regard.

Slightly related, but not really, is when you build the wonder that gives you a free technology, and it finishes when you have one turn left on your current research, you can't save the free tech a turn. I had to waste that bonus completely on something I'd already researched 90%.

But that's the only weird thing I've seen in that regard.

Why didn't you use it on a tech you hadn't started?

Top Bottom