I'm new, and I have a quick question

SlapHappy

Chieftain
"By buying the last required tech in the middle ages, we get our free tech which is nationalism."

What are the required techs and what is a free tech - thanks.

-Slaphappy

I think that he means a tech that is required to get out of the current age. For example, you don't need Navigation or Free Artistry to leave the Middle Ages, but you do need Magnetism.

I think this is for the scientific civs, which get one free tech advance every time you pass from one age to the next. Therefore, you get a free tech (I think it's monotheism) when you enter the Middle ages, Nationalism when you enter the Industrial age, and Rocketry when you enter the Modern age for free. Again, this only applies to scientific civs.

The techs required to finish an age are the ones on the tech screen (F6) that do NOT have the slash/circle on their upper right.

Originally posted by WildFire444
I think that he means a tech that is required to get out of the current age. For example, you don't need Navigation or Free Artistry to leave the Middle Ages, but you do need Magnetism.

if it's modern age your going into you don't need advanced flight, you can pick that up in the modern age

Hi Slap

Below is a link for a tech tree, that shows you all the technologies you need. You will see a sign next to the tech advance (sort of a no parking sign) that is not required to move to a new era.

Tech Tree

As for getting a free advance, that only occurs if you are playing with a scientific civ.

Originally posted by cromagnon
I think this is for the scientific civs, which get one free tech advance every time you pass from one age to the next. Therefore, you get a free tech (I think it's monotheism) when you enter the Middle ages, Nationalism when you enter the Industrial age, and Rocketry when you enter the Modern age for free. Again, this only applies to scientific civs.

The techs required to finish an age are the ones on the tech screen (F6) that do NOT have the slash/circle on their upper right.

Sorry Cromagnon as i did not see your post (guess i scrolled down too fast)

But playing Persia, i got Ecology for free rather than Rocketry :confused:
Monotheism and Nationalism are confirmed.
Basically i think you always get the tech that is on the top left corner of the screen...

Originally posted by Globetrotter

Basically i think you always get the tech that is on the top left corner of the screen...

I played around w/ this early on when I got the game. When playing a scientific civ and nearing the next age, I'd bring up the modern age tech tree and click on the tech I wanted. When I reached the next age, I always would get the tech just above the one I clicked as my free tech. For instance, if I clicked fission, I get rocketry free. It may have been blind luck but it seemed to happen often.

@Globetrotter: I'm about to hit modern age in my current game as Germany; I'll let you know which it is.

In a recent game as Babylon, I got Feudalism in the Middle Ages although I normally get Monotheism. Not entirely sure what, if anything, I did differently to do that.

This came up in another thread (but don't know which). The free techs are monotheism, nationalism and rocketry, but their is a small percentage for getting another tech.

I once got fission and won the game because of the U.N. and because i didnt have to use 5 turns to research it. Other that that, what SanPellegrino is saying is true. I have always gotten those except i got ecology once, steam power once, and Engineering once. I have gotten the other one's for free like 20 times.

Monotheism (Medieval), Nationalism (Industrial) and Rocketry(Modern) are free techs which scientific civs get most often (almost always). However, there IS a bit of randomness (?) in this process. I'd guess that 90% times you get one of techs listed above, but sometimes game choses someting different, eg. Feudalism, Steam Power (I've had it once), Ecology. I don't know why this happens and if there is just pure RNG action or rather some special conditions play a role... I've never, for example, got free Engineering or Computers - has somebody?

Edit: I've just read WildFire's post - so Engineering is verified. Maybe probability is just higher for techs located higher at science advisor screen...

It was Rocketry again.

Thanks for the info SP, WF, and Gen. I didn't realize that

Originally posted by SanPellegrino
This came up in another thread (but don't know which). The free techs are monotheism, nationalism and rocketry, but their is a small percentage for getting another tech.

I agree, I remember this sentence but can't remember where. I think SlapHappy is asking what this sentence means.

Basically what happened is they purchased the last technology advance they needed to advance through the Middle ages, and because they where playing a civ (I think it was Greece but not sure) they were awarded with another tech advance at no cost. The tech they recieved was Nationalism.

BTW, how many people have actually gotten a different tech. I think it was only one time for me. I was lucky and got steam power :D

I "Believe" you get the tech that has the lowest research cost. So if other civilizations have some of the first tier techs, that may make them the lowest cost.

Originally posted by SanPellegrino

Wow! I never knew that, and I play scientific civs almost exclusively! You really do learn something new every day at CFC! :crazyeye:

I can't think of an occasion where I got anything other than monotheism, nationalism, or rocketry, but it's entirely possible that I did and managed not to notice. For example, when I have the GL, I might have gotten a different tech from monotheism, but assumed it came from the library rather than the free tech.

I always wondered if I were to select Nationalism as part of my research queue before I roll over to the new era, if that would make any difference. I'd love to have Computers first, as I research that first to upgrade my infantry to MI.

Originally posted by Segal
I "Believe" you get the tech that has the lowest research cost. So if other civilizations have some of the first tier techs, that may make them the lowest cost.

Nope tech-prize has nothing to do with it. I once got Medicine as my free tech and was the only one with it :)

(2 had Nationalism, 1 had Steam)

Rowain

Top Bottom