1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm very excited for the new GP system

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by JtW, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Straight out of Civilization IV: Colonization. System was called "Founding Fathers" in that game, and it worked pretty well, given good balance and completely different bonuses for every person and stage (it's not that the 3rd FF has triple the bonuses of the 1st, but completely different bonuses, so depending on your civ and map conditions, it made sense to grab the early FFs also).

2. Staal

Staal Warlord

Pretty much the same thing.

3. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I like the change actually, GP became just a bonus you used inmediatly, or saved to be consumed all at once. No personality at all, you stopped looking at the names of the GP after the first playthrough.

Sure you'll have to race to be the first to get the one you want, but it's the same with wonders. I'm sure the GP pool should be big enough for everyone that invest in them to get a handful in each playthrough.

I'm wondering what this means for Great Generals and Admirals, they could finally be unique, perhaps getting Gaius Marius reforming a certain unit type to be cheaper and fight better along with other reformed units or Zheng He having bonuses to exploration and CS relations.

It actually makes me want to see Napoleon and Alexander as GG with really cool habilities rather than leaders TBH.

4. Atlas627

Atlas627 Deity

Yeah, it sounds exactly like that system, which I think is great news.

5. m15a

m15a Emperor

Maybe I don't understand what "threat reasons" means, but can you explain what you mean in a way that makes the statement not extremely offensive?

6. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Well, any depiction of Mohammed is forbidden in the Hadith.

Suppose that 1% (far, far too low but just an example) of Muslims are "radical."

With, say, 1 1/2 billion Muslims out there, that would make 15 million "radicals."

With 15 million Muslims in the world that would possibly do something unthinkable if they thought that their "prophet" was being slighted, why would Firaxis/2K games take that chance?

Better just to leave Mohammed out of the game entirely.

7. stealth_nsk

stealth_nsk Deity

It's possible Great Prophets will come without unique ones as they did in Civ5. A game where one prophet is better than another is just plain pain...

A boy from town nearby to me was sentenced to jail a couple of days ago for sharing image in social network. Don't know the details, but the image made fools of local orthodox christians. We have to live in this :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :), I don't want civ to dive into it as well.

8. stiiknafuulia

stiiknafuulia King

This; but imo the bigger reason for not including Mohammed is that there's no sense in risking the sales of the game in muslim countries over an issue that can be so easily avoided (just use his successors instead).

9. ftl

ftl Warlord

Yeah, it seems pointless. I don't even mean worrying about terrorism - just why bother pissing off a lot of people? If a lot of Muslims don't like depictions of the prophet, why annoy them? It's not like Civ will be any worse of a game for it. I'm pretty sure that in civ 5, I never had any idea what the full list of great people was, and would have no idea if some historically important person was not included.

10. Calyxx

Calyxx Warlord

Presumably he means that while many Muslims are offended by a depiction of Muhammad, some crazy ones might try to murder the artist.

11. MIS

MIS Prince

People get thorny over religion, so it will be interesting to see how they handle it. Of course, making piety counter-indicated to rationalism (implying religion is irrational) was offensive to all religions, and they didn't get much push-back.

12. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

That was the bigger point.

People could easily be very offended seeing Muhammad found Hinduism... or Jesus Buddhism, but Paul founding Islam.. not so much.

13. Thormodr

I didn't appreciate it or agree with it but I wasn't really offended. :)

Still, at least they dropped the Theory of Evolution World Wonder from earlier iterations of the game. ;)

14. Thormodr

They will never have Jesus appear in the game. I think that is a safe thing to say. :)

15. cseanny

cseanny Emperor

While I've been very anti Civ V the more I learn about Civ 6 I'm getting excited again (finally time to put Civ IV to bed it seems).

This GP feature will be an amazing addition to Civ 6. I've spent some nice hours playing Offworld Trading Company which has a Black Market. The Market is accessible to all players and each item for sale goes up in price for everyone after any purchase of that specific item.

It adds a great strategical layer. You really need to think several steps ahead in regards to planning and execution. People who excel in this part of the game will most likely do quite well and vice versa.

Anyways, can't wait to see the impact this new game mechanic will have in Civ 6. Looks very promising.

16. MIS

MIS Prince

For Colonization players:

Was the order of GPs random, or was Adam Smith always first trader up?
    Were some GPs considered much stronger than the others?
    Did you always get a GP as soon as you could, or did you sometimes wait for a better one?

Thanks,
    M

17. Haig

Haig Deity

cseanny:
    Glad to read about a Civ 4 player who lost faith with Civ 5 but thinks of Civ 6 promising and interesting. :) I have faith with mr. Ed Beach and the direction of Civ 6.

18. Aristos

Aristos Lightseeker

Order was established in gameplay, not random (good)
    They were well balanced, although some will say one was stronger than another, but that is mostly personal preferences. Each was tied to civ, play style, specific game strategy, map conditions, etc.
    Depending on conditions and map, civ, etc, sometimes it was better to wait, other times it was better to grab the earlier ones as soon as possible.
    All in all, it worked pretty well.

19. shaglio

shaglio The Prince of Dorkness

Cristo Redentor confirmed to not be a World Wonder in Civ 6 ;)

20. MIS

MIS Prince

Thanks. Pretty much every answer makes it sound good. An extra balanced, meaningful decision.