1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

I'm very excited for the new GP system

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by JtW, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

Zing! Fair enough. :D

Jesus will never be portrayed as a character/unit in the game.

So no, "I killed Jesus dOoD!!!"

Anyway, glad that they are borrowing from cIV: Colonization. A really good game and the great people system worked fairly well. We'll see how they work in CIV VI. :)

2. cazaderonus

cazaderonus Actual Dad.

This reminds me a lot of the board game through the ages, in which all GP have different perks and can be missed if taken by the other players first. I really like this concept so far as it had yet another layer of planning

3. Karmah

Karmah Emperor Supporter

Isn't it a system like in colonization where you had some great characters but they had variable cost and you could either wait for a very nice one or snatch someone more 'short term' oriented.

If civs are competing , it add an extra dimension of risk and assessment, should I wait for this guy but while waiting , I might see him grabbed by someone faster than me in GP points.

I think it is nice , even so I already see myself raging more than once about my uber GP being grabbed in front of my nose !

4. Ryika

Ryika Lazy Wannabe Artista

Sounds like a great system to me. Not too random to allow strategic gambles, not static enough to end up in a state where people always do exactly the same.

5. LeeS

LeeS Imperator Supporter

:D
    Seems like a nice idea so long as Marius can't have a stroke, go bug-nuts crazy, and execute half your capital-city's population :)

Be cool if Sun Tzu could be used to, for example, create a special sort of "Military Academy" that would either grant XP or a special promotion to all units trained there.

6. Haig

Haig Deity

Actually now as we now that every City-State will have an unique ability, and Great People as well, I'm sure that applies to Generals as well.

7. JtW

JtW Prince

I wonder if some world wonders will in fact require a specific GP to construct. I would gladly see that to be the case.

8. Haig

Haig Deity

Good idea, or a special Improvement.

9. Callonia

Callonia Deity

I'm kinda concerned because there's wonders like the great library that AIs like to hog.

10. JtW

JtW Prince

Can you explain how this is related to our discussion? I'm a little confused.

11. Shorlin

Shorlin Warlord

I imagine that, following the unstacking theme, great people/their bonuses will become spoils of war for conquering civs; assuming they are 'settled' in some way. Stealing art was my favourite part of civ5 :)

12. Callonia

Callonia Deity

Human players on King and above have plenty of difficulty in gaining a super early great scientist because the AI almost always gets the great library built fast and still builds it even when the human player beelines it and did everything perfect and had a amazing start that help build it fast.

So if there was a pool, then there might be some great people that always goes to the AI first very early in the game denying you the great engineer that you want badly because of cheats.

13. Acken

Acken Deity

I just don't like the increasing costs if that's true. The pantheon system is not very fun on higher difficulties. I wouldn't really like a similar system for GPs.

That said removing pantheon cost increase is very simple to mod.

14. consentient

consentient Domination!

This will make Deity really hard in a not very fun way, if true.

Some things that are hard are fun, like having narrow windows to hit military techs in order to be effective against the AI.

Some things, like relentless religious and military unit spam, ad nauseum, are not.

A global pool of GP sounds like a garbage idea, and let's face it, not one that has much to do with shaping YOUR OWN civilisation.

Too much like pot luck.

15. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

Suppossedly
    1. You will be able to see how far progressed everyone else is (making for more certain planning)
    2. You will have a lot of ability to focus efforts in a certain direction (projects) early on

16. ShadowWarrior

ShadowWarrior Prince

Its a great system to add to Civ franchise if GP offer unique bonuses instead of generic ones (such as adding 4 gold or 6 beakers).

However, the question then becomes what's to differentiate this GP from wonders?

Perhaps, there is no need to differentiate GP from wonders.

Or perhaps, the fact that wonders and GP are acquired differently is enough of a differentiation for most players. Wonders are acquired by hammers accumulation, while GP are acquired through the accumulation of GP points, which is quickened by expending gold/faith.

17. x2Madda

x2Madda Prince

I agree. It also has some unfortunate side effects that I had hoped we could step away from. Anyone here who plays the Civfanatic game of the month will know that for almost every victory condition except science, you always want to factor in killing all but 1 civ.

It almost seems pointless to even include other AI if the most optimal interaction one can have with them, is to wipe them out.

Promises of better AI is meaningless when i'm willing to bet warriors in the front and archers in the back is going to work just as well in Civ6 as it did in Civ5 and with world congress removed, its not looking good for my AI neighbours. :mischief:

18. Josephias

Josephias Emperor

Probably yes. Also, there is a big difference in that a Wonder is a all-or-nothing gamble (if you fail to build it first, you cannot save the production), while for GP, you will be still able to re-invest your efforts in other one.

Thins means probably the GP effects will not be as big as wonder ones as wells. Maybe, considering they will show as units, their effects can be more locally-assigned.... we still need to know a bit more about the system to discuss it well.