[NFP] Importance of CPU TFLOPS for late game large map performance.

Mik1984

Prince
This is a thread about Civ 6 performance, but not GRAPHICS performance, it is a given assumption that an overpowering GPU is already present and covering the graphics on the highest level is a non-issue.

The performance is not about what is happening on the screen, but in the background in the game, when you click "end turn" and the AI does a bunch of things in the background.

This becomes an issue on huge maps with many cities and units moving around.

The question is how much does CPU power matter on this specific non-graphics related aspect of game performance? Is there any data on this? Is upgrading to a new CPU with DDR5 memories and improvement in this area?

Well, it does provide an improvement, but not to the point where late game performances on a good CPU are similar to early game performances on any CPU, it will take longer to process anyway.

I used a late game save file on a large map and benchmarked two PC's of mine for "turn time". For the i5-7600K system @3.8GHz with 16 GB of PC3200 DDR4 RAM it was 18.0 seconds. For my new build using a i5-12600K OC to 5.0 GHZ with 16 GB of PC3600 DDR4 it was 10.4 seconds.

Top Bottom