1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Imported resources

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by ChuckVader, Jan 19, 2011.

1. ChuckVader

ChuckVader Chieftain

Hello all, I'm new to the forums - have been playing since Civ III.

I'm trying to confirm that resources that you import either from a city-state or another MP are not available for you to trade to another MP.

Often I'll have way more horses/iron available for building units than are available when I go to trade.

I've also noticed the same thing with luxuries - sometimes when the trade screen shows I only have one to trade, it doesn't show luxuries imported from city states.

Is this correct? Is there any other reason for having less resources available to trade than to use?

2. Monthar

Monthar Deity

That's correct, you can not trade a resource that you receive in trade. However, if you know you are receiving a luxury that you also have only one of, you can safely trade away your one copy and still have it available for your happiness since you're receiving it as an imported resource.

When I am receiving plenty of strategic resources from my CS allies, I do trade away what I'm producing for two reason. 1) Money to form more CS alliances, upgrade units and/or buy units/buildings. 2) If I go to war with the civ I've "sold" those strategic resources to, their units that use those resources will most likely be hit with the penalty for losing that resource.

3. Ironlyon

Ironlyon Chieftain

With the exception of playing Arabia, I believe if you have a bazaar you get an extra copy of the resource you gain via trade, and can resell it. There is also an achieve for doing so. :)

4. Monthar

Monthar Deity

No, you only gain the extra resource from an improved luxury within the borders of the city that built the bazaar.

The achievement is to trade a resource you've obtained via the Bazaar to another civ.

Attached Files:

5. Ironlyon

Ironlyon Chieftain

Ahh I see. Thanks!

6. Monthar

Monthar Deity

You're welcome.