In real life, who built the Great Wonders?

shoguntaka

Warlord
Through a little research, I've came with these.

Ancients:

The Colossus - Greece
The Great Library - Egypt (when conquered by Greek Alexander the Great)
The Great Lighthouse - Egypt (when conquered by Greek Alexander the Great)
The Great Wall - China
The Hanging Garden - Babylonia
The Oracle - India
The Pyramids - Egypt

Medieval:

Adam Smith's Trading Company - USA
Copernicus' Observatory - Poland
JS Bach's Cathederal - Germany
Leonardo's Workshop - Italy
Magellan's Great Voyage - Spain
Sistine Chapel - Italy
Newton's University - England
Shakespear's Theatre - England
Sun Tzu's Art of War - China

Industrial:

Hoover Dam - USA
The United Nation - USA???
Theory of Evolution - England
Universal Suffrage - USA

Modern:

Cure for Cancer: No one yet
Longevity: USA or No one yet?
SETI Programs: USA
The Manhattan Project: USA

Do you see any little mistake I might have made?

~Shoguntaka

I always assumed that "The Oracle" was the Oracle at Delphi, who was actually a person, not a building.

Not sure about Adam Smith's Trading Company. Smith was a Scottish businessman. I don't know where his trading company was headquartered but it may have been in Great Brittain, not USA.

Originally posted by eyrei
I always assumed that "The Oracle" was the Oracle at Delphi, who was actually a person, not a building.

I believe the temple where the Oracle resided is also refered to as The Oracle, kind of synonomous. Anyway, the Oracle is of Greek origin.

Also, The Forbidden Palace I think refers to Ankhar-Wat (sp?), an ancient temple complex in Indonesia featured in the movies Kickboxer and Mortal Combat. :smoke:

I thought a little more about it, maybe someone can clarify this but wasn't the Emperor of Japan's palace called "The Forbidden Palace"?

Originally posted by Ghengis Brom
I thought a little more about it, maybe someone can clarify this but wasn't the Emperor of Japan's palace called "The Forbidden Palace"?

The Emperor of China ruled from the Forbidden City. Could that be what you were thinking of?

Originally posted by Shaitan

The Emperor of China ruled from the Forbidden City. Could that be what you were thinking of?

That is what I thought.

I wonder why none of the Great Wonders are Roman. The Circus Maximus or Hadrian's Wall come to mind. Even "The" Colleseum seems like it would fit the mold. For such a large and influential civilization, they seem to have been oddly passed over.

Originally posted by Shaitan

That's right, I remembered it from the movie "The Last Emperor".

That is what I thought.

I wonder why none of the Great Wonders are Roman. The Circus Maximus or Hadrian's Wall come to mind. Even "The" Colleseum seems like it would fit the mold. For such a large and influential civilization, they seem to have been oddly passed over.

Oh sure, and what sort of benefit would a player get from building the Colleseum? Controlled population loss? Unlimited savagery?

Actually, I was thinking of an increase in happiness as the benefit for the colleseum, or the Circus Maximus. Bread and Circusses. I guess the only realistic benefit for Hadrian's wall is already taken by the Great Wall, though.

Of course, you might also be able to use the colleseum to quell resistors.

That is what I thought.

I don't think they were passed over, the aquaduct and colloseum were included as city improvements. Besides the Colloseum in Rome the Romans didn't really build any massive cultural icons. The greatness of Rome was the sum of it's parts; buildings, roads, military, aquaducts, and it's political system (The Republic).

Theory of Evolution might as well be Ecuador.

And the Sistine Chapel is in Rome, even if it's not part of the Roman Empire.

One thing about Civ that always struck me is that only 4 of the 7 true Wonders of the World appear as wonders. Those being the Pyramids, Collossus, Hanging Gardens, and Lighthouse. There's no mention of the Temple of Artemis, Tomb of Mauselus, or Statue of Zeus.

There are no Roman wonders because the list was compiled by ancient Greeks, before the Romans arrived. But many Civ wonders came later, so I don't see why they can't include a couple Roman ones. The Colisseum is a good choice. It could give the happy effects of a colisseum to all cities on the same continent. Or the Pantheon as some kind of Oracle-type wonder. I don't know what else you'd include from the Romans, maybe "Pax Romana" could improve diplomatic relations (although in reality the real Pax Romana was peace through superior firepower). The "Appian Way" could give some kind of road or land-based movement bonus maybe.

Just a couple of points, I know they are petty, but :

Leonardo's workshop should be France/Italy, as he was located in France and it was the King of France who was employing him during some of his most productive years (he is buried in France).

Magellan's Voyage should be Portugal/Spain, as it was the Portuguese that laid all the ground work for the great voyage and Magellan himself was Portuguese. The Spanish footed the bill when the King of Portugal would not.

I am not sure, but I do not think the US was the first country to grant universal suffrage. I think it might have been Holland.

No, I just checked it, New Zeeland granted women the vote in 1893. Wow, the internet can be used for something else other than going to the Civilization fanatics center. :enlighten

Of course, you might also be able to use the colleseum to quell resistors.

Oh my - that's, in a very sick way, funny!

Originally posted by Hobbes
No, I just checked it, New Zeeland granted women the vote in 1893.

Although the US state of Wyoming gave its women that right in 1890, so I suppose it could be argued that the movement made its first major victory in the US (although in smallest part of it, populationwise).

I'd call this one New Zealand's, with an asterisk for Wyoming.

Originally posted by nklatt

Oh my - that's, in a very sick way, funny!

Not as sick or as funny as that thread Fayadi started.

I am not sure, but I do not think the US was the first country to grant universal suffrage. I think it might have been Holland.

I thought it was the Kiwis or the Aussies myself.

P.S. Adam Smith's Trading Co. always pissed me off.

Adam was a scot
The wonder it's talking about should have been "The Royal Exchange," or "The Central Bank of" or something, since the wonder seems to reflect the London Exchange or (more aptly but more esoterically) the Bank of England.

R.III

Originally posted by Sarcastro

Although the US state of Wyoming gave its women that right in 1890, so I suppose it could be argued that the movement made its first major victory in the US (although in smallest part of it, populationwise).

I'd call this one New Zealand's, with an asterisk for Wyoming.

New Zealand wasn't a country in 1893, it didn't become a country until the early 1900s, and hence should be considered part of Britian at that time. So I think if you're looking for the first country to have universal sufferage, it is Australia, since it became a country before New Zealand.

Top Bottom