In your oppinion which civilization is the best to use and why?

C

Caesar19

So fellow civfantatics which do you think is the best the romans the mongols or another and why? Post here for the final vote!

Absolutely doesn't matter, in terms of any advantages. I know some civs start with free techs (the Aztecs ARE pretty good for getting monarchy early), but if you know what you're doing you can do good with any one of them--since, of course, YOU control that civ....

I've played most of the civs available. Personally, I like the Sioux for their cool city names and their nativeness to my home state. I also like playing Japanese or Americans, since in both cases I know a lot of place names to name my cities after the initial 25 or so names run out.... But I'll play any civ, just for variety....

We recommend anyone just starting out or having trouble at Deity
use any on the purple flaged Civs. After playing only the Americans for
nearly two years we switched to the Sioux. Besides the advantage of not
being penalized for having Supreme power as far as the tech race is
concerned it seems that in battle our purple units are a bit more skilled
and not only win more battles but with less damage.

There are some more thoughts on this thread topic on the link below.

what r your top 3 enemys that are hard to defeat.

------------------
TTFNFm & MTFBWY moof

" Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,

and I'm not sure about the former. " - Albert Einstein

I really don't mind, I have played all of them except the French. I know it is silly but I just can't stomach the French, if they are an enemy then they are top of the list for distruction.

I like the names of the french cities. I like white and yellow cuz your cities show up nice. but my mood and style of play mostly fits the mongols.

With my style of play, you'd think I'd play Gandhi! I've played the Romans and the Mongols many times, but I prefer the Zulus because 1). They are so annoying to play against that I'd rather play AS them. 2). I'm very interested in the Zulu culture, music, and language as I grew up with that.

------------------
"Shake the world beneath your feet up"
--Johnny Clegg

As everyone knows Civ is a turn-based game....

So there is a very slight advantage to being White (Romans, Russians) as you move first each turn. Green (Zulus, Babs) move second and on down through the Purple (Mongols, Sioux) who go last.

For example, if Roman and Zulu spaceships are going to land in the same year, the Roman ship would land first and win the game.

The specific civ within the color you pick will affect your starting techs but not much else as far as I can tell.

Cheers,
Agni

It matters what color you pick if you want to gift techs to reduce your research cost. To me, this is only really important in OCC, and for that reason, I like to pick a Purple civ, since its corresponding Power rating is "Supreme" -- a rating you'll never get with only one city (i.e., you can guarantee that you'll never be the "key civ").

------------------
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music." -- George Carlin

I have always played as either the Zulus
(when I am looking for pure war), the
Babylonians when I am looking to be peaceful
(Ok, not sure why but just something about them), or most of the time as the Sioux.
I knew there was a bit of a difference of
what you start with but assumed it didn't
really matter much. Then I read that other
thread that the link above points to and
just to be curious started my first game ever
as the Romans. Now, I have only started
of course, but I only had to research one
tech to get Monarchy and I started also with
Bronzeworking and the extra settler. I
don't know which I prefer yet of course but
that sure is a HUGE difference when you
consider the impact it has on the rest of
the game to follow.

Interesting oppinions everyone I personally like the vikings or the romans especially the vikings as they are very tough opponents so I get them first!

I know it is silly but I just can't stomach the French, if they are an enemy then they are top of the list for distruction.
Is it, peut etre, their unbelievable arrogance, coupled with an unique incompetence, monsieur?
I have played the French before and I also like the names of their cities. I usually play with a custom tribe of my own name and make up my own city names.
It makes no significant difference which tribe you play, except for 2 things:
1. White starts first.
2. You can negate a difficult opponent by starting on their colour.
Your behaviour in the game is the overwhelmingly determining factor in how other civs react to you.

I always liked Rome and America

Rome: Extra settler and good start techs, plus they go first.
America: Patriotism and it always is fun to watch, say, the french, get crushed under your heel, somtimes i even Choose the English as a opponent to do a counter-revolution type thing (i dont mind english people in real life but in the game they always try to get wonders I want! )

I Usually play as the greeks, because I find them difficult to play against. But lately I've been playing as the indians (Purple flag and a fairly good start position if playing on the world map). If I don't play either of those two, it's because I want a change in scenery.

------------------
I know all of the answers, It's the questions that confuse me.

Science rate and (secondarily) onset of pollution can be affected by the choice of civs. Turn order may also be a concern in an evenly matched situation, too... particularly in a tight wonder race. But the primary influence is simply the player!

On any random map, it doesn't really matter wich civ I start as. But sometimes I'll be given a horrible starting position and just simply quit and start over. I hate it when that happens.

On a world map, I ALWAYS start as the Germans. They start by a river and with my two settler, which on diety I always get, I can build two cities on a river. That way I can reap the rewards of one extra science beaker. Very important early in the game.

On a random map, I try for the Americans, because I can recognize the cities. On the World Map, I use the English because it's easier to keep people off of Britain than it is to keep them out of the American Continent.

What can I say, I'm really *****y about territorial boundaries...

Heh, Odin, don't worry, you are not alone

When I have an enemy right next to me, I have the border lined with some units and forts..I hate it when they start stacking their troops to your area...GRRR..

When I play, I like Celts, but when in the world map, Egyptians..

I'll play as any Civ except the Zulu's or other green civ's and the Sioux. I don't like how they come across as uncivilized:mad:

But personally I like playing as the English because I like the starting position.

Although all that matters to me is the colour cause I always change the civ tribe to one of my choice;)

:slay: I think this smilie is funny!! :goodjob:

Really, it doesn't matter what civilization you play as, it's the human that influences it all. But, if you're wanting the best advantage, be a white colored civilization (as mentioned above) because they go first. Personally, I like being the Americans best. But, if it's on the real world map, I'll be the English if I wanna win by conquest, but if I wanna do it by space race or feel like playing isolationist, style the Americans. Most of the time I'm the Americans, though.

Top Bottom