Next Civilization game and it's competition

Haig

Deity
This year will have release of two new Civlike 4X games, Millennia and Ara, and couple of years ago Humankind entered the Civilization market.
Also it is quite likely that this year sees announcement and/or release of Civilization VII.

How do you think Civ VII competes best against the rivals?

I feel that many of the civ "clones" lack some sort of charisma. Screenshots of Ara have the Humankind -vibe, pretty but boring.
Civilization should really double down on atmosphere and LEADERS. No other 4X matches the fun and personality of Civ's iconic leaders imho.

Other thing is that I think Civ should get some hype going soon, having a teaser or announcement would steal thunder from the release of rivals.

Leaders make absolutely not the gameplay better, you know.
He’s referring to the overall presentation, though. I think the bigger point is that none of these other games are AAA high budget titles - they all look markedly uglier and less polished overall. I don’t think there will be true competition until other games start coming with better presentation, graphics, and music. That’s the key to a broad appeal and commercial success.

To me the 'charisma' that Civ has is not just presentation. It's the uniqueness and variety on the mechanics: ie the UAs/LUAs, the city states, great works. A lot of competitors tend to be a lot more generic plus/minus modifiers (this civ gets +1 from rivers, and this civ +1 from deserts, and this civ +1 to culture, and this civ +1 to science), etc. That's also civ's core, but Civ dresses it up better, makes mechanics that feel more exciting/unique to me. Humankind imho massively had this problem imho, which was surprising since Endless Legend has some fairly distinct factions.

Civ also does peaceful victories much better. Most competitors are basically domination games with some token bucketfill peaceful victory on the side. Civ has a lot more thought into things like the culture victory and the science victory.

I also think there's generally space for multile good 4x games - that just expands the market, since people can buy multiple games. It's not a direct competition. Civs competition is really just itself - if 7 is good, people will buy it, if it's not good, people won't, regardless of what other games are out. I.e. even if Cities Skylines hadn't come out, no one would've been playing SimCity.

Speaking of SimCity, biggest danger with 7, imho, is some sort of 2K directed 'monetization' mechanics that end up ruining the game. Fingers-crossed.

Civ also does peaceful victories much better. Most competitors are basically domination games with some token bucketfill peaceful victory on the side. Civ has a lot more thought into things like the culture victory and the science victory.
I don't think that's the case...in all Paradox games except for HoI you're able to play as peacefully as you want, and there are generally a lot more diplomatic mechanics for the player to leverage. I don't think Humankind was any more combat-focused than Civ is either, nor was Old World.

I think it's interesting you criticize other games for having 'token bucketfill' victories, because to me, that's exactly what most of Civ's victories are. Fill the blue yield up to win Science. Fill the purple yield up to win Culture.

How do you think Civ VII competes best against the rivals?
I think it's the other way around: How the "Rivals" could compete best once Civ VII releases. Because there is no Competition for Civ, until one of those new 4X Games actually has a good start, and keeps growing for a couple of years. Calling 1 of those Games a "Competitor/Rival" to Civ is just putting too much trust in something that we know nothing about not to mention how it will end up in a couple Years.

Don't get me wrong, some of those Games look promising and have potential, but establishing a Competitor where none of them comes close to even Civ 5 in terms of success and popularity is a bit of a stretch if you ask me. But let's take a look at those Games for a moment:

The ones released so far:
- Old World: a 4X and good Game for sure, but clearly not a Civ Competitor. Why? Bc for one, it's a completely different Game, that shouldn't be compared directly to Civ-like Games - It's not a Civ alternative. It has Elements that will never fit in a Civ Game, and it's also much shorter. I'm only putting it here to remind people of that. Old World is it's own thing. For the other, the Game barely has more active Steam Players than Beyond Earth, a practically dead Civ Game. Yes, Old World didn't initially release on Steam, but it's nearly 2 Years since the release on Steam, and seeing even Civ3 (a decades old Game) having nearly double the active Players there doesn't exactly scream "Civ Competitor". But, even if it's not something for me, it's a good game for sure.
- Humankind: a Civ-like Game through and through, raised enough clout before release (the best at marketing itself as a Civ-like game so far, and its Art-style was also well done), and had tons of potential to be a good alternative to Civ, if not a close rival. But somehow they messed up the Game's potential along the way. I have no Idea when/how that started, could have been even before the release, but the Game certainly lacks a clear Vision. I have no Idea if the Game will ever be more successful/popular than during its early release Days.

The upcoming ones:
- Millennia: this Game has many interesting Mechanics, and that's where it shines in most. The 2 most Interesting "Flagship" Mechanics are the dynamic Eras System and the Resource Management System. Problem is, the Former is 1) forced, 2) doesn't seem to be interesting enough to carry the Game on its own. And the latter is already part of the Mechanics kit of ARA, where it looks like to be better integrated into the Game and playing an important role, instead of just having resources give more of a certain yield, which seems to be the case in Millennia. And then there is the Elephant in the Room: Graphics. I said this elsewhere, but Visuals are part of a Game's Appeal, and should be treated as equally as its Mechanics, if not greater at first. The first Impressions of a Player are always the Visuals, and most People, especially today, also play with their Eyes (you know, like the saying "eating with the Eyes"), and neglecting that will certainly do no good to the Game. I see no Competition for Civ here, not even for older Civ Games.
- ARA: This is where it becomes interesting for me. The only thing that I don't like about this Game, is the 'look' of the UI, bc it looks like a placeholder to me. And even if the Artstyle of the Game (Map, Characters...etc.) might not be really unique and inspired (but rich in detail!), it feels like it fits to the Game, and as the previous Dev Video has shown, that was on purpose. Which I don't think takes much away from the Game. But apart from that, all I hear about this Game sounds great. Nothing individually that sticks out much so far, but the sum of the improvements and details that the game offers overall speaks for a very solid and grounded game, a Game with a clear Vision and Design in mind. Which I think is enough, no need for a fancy new mechanic to stick out from other 4X Games. Let the Game slowly grow from that. IMHO, this is the best way to introduce a 4X Historical game that may pass the "Test of Time". Thus, if there is any potential "Civ Rival", then it's goint to be ARA. But definitely not at release. This is the only Game that convinces me so far. Looking forward to this Fall!

All in all, even if you combine all these 4 Games together, they won't suddenly become a Civ "Rival". Even if we consider Civ6 to never have been released, and its release was this year, 2024, it would still put all of them in the Shadows. Perhaps even Civ5 would do that! I think Firaxis, over the many Years, has proven to be a reliable Studio to make a popular and successful 4X Game. And all the other Studios have proven to me, is that the way Firaxis makes, markets and communicates (or lack thereof) its Civ Games, was the better approach after all. Not to say that there is no room for improvements, mind you, but if I have any criticism about Firaxis and hesitation about Civilization VII, then its bc of reasons that only the Hardcore Fans care about, like Modding or Dev Diaries (Victoria3 is the best by far in this regard, and Firaxis should take some notes from them IMO).

TL;DR: Civilization VII doesn't have any Competition. Once it releases all Talk about other 4X historical games will fade away and shift towards Civ7, even without any Marketing/Advertising of the Game. The other Civ-like Games need to prove themselves first and grow before they can be considered potential Competition.

Last edited:
He’s referring to the overall presentation, though.
Yes but I mean... presentation may be good to sell the game, but once you're in it, its importance fades away as the games chain up, and it goes more and more that way.

As to graphics, the "newcomers" seem pretty good on modern machines (not mine), and musics can't be worse than Civ6 ones IMO.

I don't think anyone is likely to take the throne away from Civ soon, but I wouldn't dismiss the competition. There's some really interesting stuff there, and for a lot of people, I think Civ 6 fell short of expectations.

I personally am quite excited about the Millennia demo I played today. Yes, like pretty much everyone else, the map graphics are not quite to my liking, but neither were Civ6's, and Civ5 (which is my main 4) is certainly showing its age at this point. It's not a huge deal to me, although I would love a new set of terrain textures. Some of the other art is quite pleasing, but as @Zegangani says, it's the mechanics which makes it interesting, and I agree that the resources and era systems are particularly noteworthy. I have played through the demo twice, and in my second run, I started to get a decent handle on how resources work, as well as a starting location with lots of marble. That was fun. I can see myself playing a lot more of this.

Perhaps even Civ5 would do that!
Civ 5, in spite of not getting anything from Firaxis for about a decade now, and not even working on the latest version of Windows, still has over 20k concurrent players.I don't think there are any other Civ-likes even close...except for Civ 6 of course, which has about 40k. I think it is being held up in part by an active modding scene, and in part by the fact that it was a very good game

I feel that many of the civ "clones" lack some sort of charisma. Screenshots of Ara have the Humankind -vibe, pretty but boring.
Civilization should really double down on atmosphere and LEADERS. No other 4X matches the fun and personality of Civ's iconic leaders imho.
I do agree that the world/map of Ara looks good. I have more reservations about the gameplay. They have different leaders as well, but the different factions seem to be less unique than Civ or even Humankind.

Civ 5, in spite of not getting anything from Firaxis for about a decade now, and not even working on the latest version of Windows
Sorry, for the off-topic, but uh this one?

1708120511615.png
1708120662981.png

(apparently the main menu lost my resolution settings, it's been a while since I booted it up, the ingame one on the right is at the correct 1080p)

I had to re-verify the integrity of my game's files on Steam, but that's hardly a "does not work on Windows 11" (most games require that after a hardware upgrade or OS bump, both of which I think I've done since I last tried to boot this game haha).

But of course, beyond that, I agree (that said, the launcher updates 2K keeps pushing I think we can all agree are . . . less than welcome).

-------------------

When it comes to competitors to Civ, it's tricky. Every potential franchise has to start somewhere. It's especially hard considering just how enduring Civilisation is. Not only is it still under the stewardship of Firaxis, which despite all the changes in the generally-volatile games industry manages to maintain a lot of veteran developers (and even juniors progress in a linear fashion, such as how Ed went through XCOM, we definitely have Civ. parallels with Carlbarian and the like), but it's been around pretty much my entire life (I'm only in my 30s, yeah, I know :p).

That's a huge thing to even try and compete with. So I try and cut everyone slack by comparison, even though as a consumer I probably shouldn't. Competition is good for us, but at the same time, why spend money on something I'm less likely to enjoy, right?

To that end, Civ is pretty much the only strategy / 4x I've really gotten into, ever. I've tried with a bunch of Paradox games (mainly had fun with friends - the random events in EU are much funnier with a few other folks in the same VOIP channel laughing at them), I've tried with the Endless games, and so on. The newer attempts (Ara, Humankind, etc), didn't really imprint on me at all. And I don't really have a reason why. Other folks have talked about a lack of personality and yes, in a way . . . but also, objectively speaking . . . Civ. doesn't so much either. I mean it does, but only because I know nuclear Gandhi, and because I've spent so long playing Civ. its approach to leaders is how I recognise it (in part) as a "Civ" game (which is why folks often bounced of Beyond Earth - as much as I liked it, the same approach doesn't work as well with ficticious leaders). But there's nothing that makes Civ "Civ" that other games couldn't emulate. It'll just take time and effort, which unfortunately the industry is really not equipped to provide at the moment (more than ever - 2024 is shaping up to be a harder year than 2023 was).

Sorry, for the off-topic, but uh this one?

View attachment 684818 View attachment 684820
(apparently the main menu lost my resolution settings, it's been a while since I booted it up, the ingame one on the right is at the correct 1080p)

I had to re-verify the integrity of my game's files on Steam, but that's hardly a "does not work on Windows 11" (most games require that after a hardware upgrade or OS bump, both of which I think I've done since I last tried to boot this game haha).
Well, I never...I was sure it didn't work. I vaguely recall there was a thread about it, and my own experience after trying it on Windows 11 was that it didn't work, but I don' think I re-verified the game files. I do play with Vox Populi, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

Anyway, thanks for the correction.

Well, I never...I was sure it didn't work. I vaguely recall there was a thread about it, and my own experience after trying it on Windows 11 was that it didn't work, but I don' think I re-verified the game files. I do play with Vox Populi, but I don't know if that makes a difference.

Anyway, thanks for the correction.
Even Civ2 works on Windows 11. :p With the CFC XP/x64 patch of course.

Has CiVII even been announced?
Soft announced is the term I think

What we know is : a game is in development.

It got some media attention, then it died down (which I think is weird).

And I think based on assumptions alone, it's easy to assume that a new game is approaching closer.

This "leader craze" has been going on in Civ series for quite a while now, but, for me, these characters always felt like caricatures and fakes. We don't really get to know them, nor how they or their followers think. A good example on how to "do leaders" is SMAC. Voiceovers and quotes from tech and project datalinks do help a lot, but also the diplomacy angle which is more flexible and changing than in any other "Civ" game by Firaxis.

To be perfectly honest with you, an animated caricature graphic of a historical leader does very little for my understanding what that nation wants from the game we are both playing. In addition to doing very little in teaching us very little about that culture in general. I guess, in this regard, the game is perfectly in balance with the current global narrative in its desperate quest for neo-tribalist belonging, even if it comes with leaders of wildly different flavors, flavors in the past we already conculded are too rubbish to be on any cultured person's dinner menu.

This "leader craze" has been going on in Civ series for quite a while now, but, for me, these characters always felt like caricatures and fakes. We don't really get to know them, nor how they or their followers think. A good example on how to "do leaders" is SMAC. Voiceovers and quotes from tech and project datalinks do help a lot, but also the diplomacy angle which is more flexible and changing than in any other "Civ" game by Firaxis.
I wouldn't really call it a "craze". The series has always had the player assume the role of an immortal historical leader. It's a defining feature of the franchise.
To be perfectly honest with you, an animated caricature graphic of a historical leader does very little for my understanding what that nation wants from the game we are both playing. In addition to doing very little in teaching us very little about that culture in general. I guess, in this regard,
I'm not entirely sure what the meaning of the underlined portion is. The leader gives a lot of gameplay information to the player: the leader's ability as well as their agenda/AI flavor scores are gameplay features that are reflective of the real history of that person, and tell you how that leader should be played or played against.

I also don't know what you expect to be taught to you. We're playing a video game, not a history lesson, right? Even so, I think the leaders do a great job of being reflective of the culture they represent. They look the part, they speak the most feasible appropriate language, and as I said above, their abilities and AI personality are reflective of their lives.

How else or what else could avatars in a videogame teach you? And if you really want to learn more about actual history, Civ has the Civilopedia.
the game is perfectly in balance with the current global narrative in its desperate quest for neo-tribalist belonging, even if it comes with leaders of wildly different flavors, flavors in the past we already conculded are too rubbish to be on any cultured person's dinner menu.
I have no idea this means ("neotribalist belonging"??), and I don't know who is "rubbish" that has been included. Can you elaborate on both points?

Last edited:
If leaders are good for a thing, it is for the immediate and simple way we identify our interlocutor. Civ2 interlocutors were even "backed" with icons about their personnalities and what they tried to achieve if i'm right. (unless it was the most advanced techs they had ?)

Compared to this, Civ6 agendas are terrible and do not even give any idea of what the leaders do, it just annoys you with insults or totally displaced remarks (Harald :ack:), and that's it, to the point it even becomes pathetical. As to "Gilgabro", I feel like I cheat when he amasses 4-5 donkeys in my borders and I ask him for friendship, he accepts and he has no choice to go find another target... that's totally broken and it's a good example of how I feel about Civ6 in general.

Who's even interested in finding their secret agenda by the way ? I never saw anyone do that, neither do I, and by the way we can know it in advance by their silly remarks. Nobody cares. The only key info I need about leaders is their progression in science, and more generally their victory progress. And then, I don't know how I would feel if I had to discover secrets from them (i don't even know how to discover their secret agenda), game breaker maybe ? Who did one single action in the purpose to fit leaders agendas ? I did it once by accident, it was Harald :ack: who congratuled me on my great navy of a total of 1 (or maybe 2 ?) galley.

Last edited:
Top Bottom